Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

My Community

Author Topic: CVang or Sid Ryan  (Read 11606 times)

mouselvr

• Sometimes hits target
CVang or Sid Ryan
« on: 17 »
Finally got around to firing the mini mag 1 5/8" today - what a great little firearm!  I can see I need quite a bit more time with it to improve accuracy, but I can surely see this as an everyday "never leave home without it" carry.

One thing I believe I need to change is the grips.  The one finger hold just wasn't cutting it for me.  I started a thread a bit ago about the pebbled rubber grips and the Hogue slip on rubber grips, both offered by NAA, but I am now thinking that my accuracy might be improved by some larger, more oversized grips.  I know that NAA offers their oversized rubber models, but I would like to hear from owners of both the CVang and Sid Ryan grips.  The Sid Ryan grips seem to be very similar to the NAA oversized grips, but the option of having them scrimshawed is kinda cool.  The CVang grips seem to be quite popular, but are these wide enough over the stock grips to get more purchase on the hold?  I am looking at the glass filled plastic CVang's which I believe might be the same material as the Sid Ryans as they are both in the same price range, and the range I would like to stay in.  Thanks for the help!

MR_22

• Global Moderator
  • Bulls-eye
  • Gotta love those .22's!
Re: CVang or Sid Ryan
« Reply #1 on: 17 »
I have a set of Sid's scrimshawed oversized grips with the Eagle on them. I really like them. I've had 'em for about 8 or 10 years, I would guess. (Wow, have I really had them that long? Has Sid been doing NAA grips for that long? Hmm, I dunno, but I think that's right.) They are VERY comparable to having the larger wooden grips, but I like them better.

I don't have any Cvang's.

bleak_window

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #2 on: 20 »
I tried the cvangs on my BW and didn't like them at all.

mouselvr

• Sometimes hits target
« Reply #3 on: 04 »
Thanks for the replies so far, gang!  I admit that a set of scrimshawed grips would be nice.

bleak_window - the BW grips are very similar to the Sid Ryan grips, correct?  Did you find that the CVangs were more narrow over the BW grips?  How did it place your two finger hold and natural point/aim angle?  Thanks.

jw1128

• Outer ring
« Reply #4 on: 08 »
I put a set of cvang on my 1 /18 mag, and really like the look and feel, debating putting a set on the pug.  Its in my front pocket right now, they are very thin, does not dramitically increase pocket printer, but gives you just a bit move to make it easier to grab out of a pocket holster.  I like the standard rubber on the pug, but I carry it on the waist most of the time, and i think the cvang might make it just a bit easier to get too.
« Last Edit: 08 by jw1128 »

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
  • Time to have coffee & read. Probably comment.
« Reply #5 on: 07 »
Me?
I love the Cvang grips.
In reply 8 of this thread you will find why I think the way I do and pictures to show what I mean.

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=3788.msg60075#msg60075

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

nastruck

• Middle Ring
« Reply #6 on: 07 »
Hey uncle_lee how many minis do you own? Could you post a photo of them? I've not been a member for very long and maybe you have done so in the past but I'm sure some of us newbies would love to see them. I only own 3 minis but I'm wanting to add an LR in the near future.
Thanks

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #7 on: 09 »
Hey uncle_lee how many minis do you own? Could you post a photo of them? I've not been a member for very long and maybe you have done so in the past but I'm sure some of us newbies would love to see them. I only own 3 minis but I'm wanting to add an LR in the near future.
Thanks

I started out buying 2 short models back in 76 and didn't think any more about minis until the Earl came out (I don't remember when that was, 4-6 years ago) and it looked like the Remington 1858 black powder revolver. I just had to have 2 of those. That got me started buying pairs of minis.
Right now I have 35 but don't have a picture of all of them.

4” Earls

Hoglegs

Sheriffs

Shorts

3” Earls

Serial #13 Hogleg with Flint45 Sambar Stag grips

Set of Break Tops (these will be going up for sale)

I have posted this one a lot.
These are my normal carry during cool/cold weather.
Except I have Cvang grips on my carry minis.

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

jw1128

• Outer ring
« Reply #8 on: 10 »
Do you carry all 5 at the same time during the cool colder weather?

Maccab

« Reply #9 on: 15 »
You carry all that Uncle Lee, blimey your a one man SWAT team  ;)

mouselvr

• Sometimes hits target
« Reply #10 on: 15 »
Thanks for the replies and links, everyone.

Great pics and collection there, uncle lee!!!

nastruck

• Middle Ring
« Reply #11 on: 15 »
WOW! Truly AWESOME! You the man uncle_lee
My first was the 1&5/8 barrel combo. Then I bought the short but don't know how I got that lucky because I have not been able to find one since. Then the BW came a long. I only have one holster, it's the inside the waistband, it's right handed but I wear it on the left side. The cool thing about it is it fits the mini and the BW.
Thanks for the pix uncle_lee
Oh man! I need more minis!!!!
I hate when this happens

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #12 on: 20 »

Most of the time.
I'm not tall but I am wide and have lots of big pockets.
The Stars go in a double shoulder rig.

I don't carry spare ammo or spare magazines.
You can grab another one quicker than you can reload and none of them weigh that much.
I was an electrician for 45 years and carried a 10-15 pound tool pouch 8-16 hours a day so these hand guns don't weigh much at all.

I never want to be shot for the lack of being able to shoot back. 8)
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

RogueTS1

• Bulls-eye
  • En garde
« Reply #13 on: 09 »

Most of the time.

You can grab another one quicker than you can reload and none of them weigh that much.
I was an electrician for 45 years and carried a 10-15 pound tool pouch 8-16 hours a day so these hand guns don't weigh much at all.

I second Uncle Lee's notion. I do not have the photo handy but I usually carry EDC: a custom 1911 .45, a custom Glock 23/9mm or an HK P7-13 with two extra mags as my primary, a Beretta 21a-sd, Beretta 70s-sd or a Walther TPH-sd with one extra mag as a secondary and my trusty Pug with 10 rounds in a Quickstrip. All these have leather to hold them. Last is some type of folder.

3 pistols with more than enough reloads if ever needed. New York reload is King. Once you get used to lugging it around it is not uncomfortable.

Maybe we should start an EDC thread just for kicks.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

jw1128

• Outer ring
« Reply #14 on: 11 »

Most of the time.

+1 I always worry i am not going to have enough firepower...

postalman

• Bulls-eye
  • The check's in the mail.
« Reply #15 on: 11 »
I'd hate to meet uncle-lee in a dark alley, especially when he's pissed!!
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #16 on: 13 »
I'd hate to meet uncle-lee in a dark alley, especially when he's pissed!!

I am too old to get pissed.
The most I can get up is annoyed.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

jw1128

• Outer ring
« Reply #17 on: 13 »

Who made your rig?  I would like to have a double glock rig for the winter time.

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #18 on: 19 »
Galati Gear

http://www.galatiinternational.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Years back you could buy just the holsters for the rigs.
I took the mag holders off and put on another holster.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

grayelky

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #19 on: 08 »
I don't own (yet) any of the Cvang grips. I had the opportunity to hold a mini with them on it a little while back, and was very impressed. I have large hands, yet I found the grips to give much better purchase than the standard grip, but did not add any noticeable amount in the pocket. To me, the BW grip adds bulk. I suspect the Cvang will make shooting easier and more enjoyable.

Uncle_lee-
35? Which one needs a mate?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #20 on: 08 »
I don't own (yet) any of the Cvang grips. I had the opportunity to hold a mini with them on it a little while back, and was very impressed. I have large hands, yet I found the grips to give much better purchase than the standard grip, but did not add any noticeable amount in the pocket. To me, the BW grip adds bulk. I suspect the Cvang will make shooting easier and more enjoyable.

Uncle_lee-
35? Which one needs a mate?

And it goes into the hand the same way every time. When you draw, you don't have to arrange the mini in your hand so that it points where you want it to point. With a little practice, every draw, the mini comes out with the barrel straight with the forearm.

Odd one?
Pug.
I have only one.
Maybe should take care of that. 8)
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

postalman

• Bulls-eye
  • The check's in the mail.
« Reply #21 on: 09 »
Bleak- Window. You say you did not like CVangs on your BW. I was thinking about them for mine. What didn't you like?
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

mouselvr

• Sometimes hits target
« Reply #22 on: 14 »

Thanks for sharing your experience, grayelky!

mouselvr

• Sometimes hits target
« Reply #23 on: 14 »
And it goes into the hand the same way every time. When you draw, you don't have to arrange the mini in your hand so that it points where you want it to point. With a little practice, every draw, the mini comes out with the barrel straight with the forearm.

Repeatability is surely a good thing!

grayelky

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #24 on: 23 »
Uncle lee

As it happens, I have a Pug in the shop! :)

Anyone looking for a Sidewinder, I have one of those also.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Uncle_Lee

• Bulls-eye
« Reply #25 on: 07 »
Thanks gray,
I think I am going to wait on a pair of 4" Sidewinders.

I kind of lost a lot of interest when we got the group together to make the group buy then were turned down.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON

jw1128

• Outer ring
« Reply #26 on: 09 »
Uncle lee

As it happens, I have a Pug in the shop! :)

Anyone looking for a Sidewinder, I have one of those also.
i am looking for a sidewinder, whats the damage?

mouselvr

• Sometimes hits target
« Reply #27 on: 05 »
Spent some more time and more rounds down the mini yesterday and I must say that my accuracy is getting better.  For me, I found that I need to keep the front sight on the top of the gun's frame instead of more aligned with it.  I was originally shooting way low but this brought everything back where it needs to be.  I am getting used to the one finger hold and may opt to just get one of the rubber grip options from the Pug or Wasp - dunno yet.  I think a couple more range visits are in order to be sure I know what I am after...  This is quickly becoming one of my favorite firearms and see another NAA in the very near future!! (now to convince the Mrs.)  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.