Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

My Community

Author Topic: My NAA 22LR Saved my Life and My 4 Year Olds Life - Thanks  (Read 27587 times)

lovemynaa

• Probational user
I don't want to go into too many details until everything blows over, but I was charged by a very large very angry pit bull that already had the taste of blood in his mouth from attacking my cat.  I had no way to escape without putting my 4 year old in danger behind me.  Unfortunately my 45 was inside in my closet.  However, I had my NAA 22 in my pocket, because I ALWAYS have it in my pocket.  I pulled it out and fired one shot.

All I can say is a CCI Minimag coming out of a 1 inch barrel can stop a large angry charging pit bull.

I practice with this gun every two weeks at the range on payday.  22 are cheap to shoot, and with practice you can put shots on target reliably out to 20 feet.  This gun saved my life because I had it when I needed it.

Thank You for a well designed, reliable weapon that is small enough to carry everywhere.

tocsn40

• Bulls-eye
Tocsn40

naa_collector

• Bulls-eye
  • Neener, Neener, I got more NAA's than you!
Great story--except for the angry pit ball!

keith44

• Outer ring
Perfect example of why these are useful and why regular practice is needed.  Glad this went your way, and good shootin'!

riverkilt

• Gun Fumbler
Also been attacked by an angry dog.  Wasn't healed.  When it leaped at me like Rin Tin Tin I gave it a right cross to the jaw. Its body was airborne and it flew sideways from the blow and ran off.  It was a big mongrel dog of some mix, but it wasn't an angry pit bull.

How'd your daughter do with all the fear?

top dog

• Bulls-eye
I hope all works out OK for you and your daughter. I hope that there be little or no "fall out" from this incident.
Were the police/canine control notified of the incident?

Glad to see that you always carry your mini and practice often. The practice paid off.

Top Dog

Bigbird48

• I support LGBTQ lets get Biden to Quit
  • Bulls-eye
  • Semper Fi Clic the little World Icon below.
    • Arizona Lazer
I'm sorry for you and sorry for the dog. its to bad people can't control their dogs and a thing like this happens. Glad you had your mini and you and yours are ok. Hope I'm never in that situation.

teagal

• Sometimes hits target
    • Author Cathy mcDowell
Great story and glad no humans were hurt.
This is a great example of what I've been saying.
People keep telling me my .22 mag isn't enough.
I believe it is. I can't handle anything larger.
Yes, I can fire the .38 special but not many times.
IF I need to, I will but my mini will always be with me
for times like this.
Love my little mini almost as much as I love my hubby!

PJ Garrison

• Sometimes hits target
What happened to the dog?  Did he just run off wounded?  Did he just get spooked at the sound?  Did he die?  Is the owner looking for the guy who shot his dog?

The aftermath of these stories is often just as important as what went on during the actual shooting.

black_cat

• Middle Ring
ya these are mostly reliable, the one exception is the tendency to misfire do to your sleeve being caught on the hammer. just a once folded cotton tea shirt sleeve gives enough padding to misfire. idk for mags but that's how it was for my lr when i killed 1 of three muggers in 2007.
"a black cat isn't a black cat unless it knows the tail of a thousand cats." - black_cat

top dog

• Bulls-eye
Black Cat,
Can you go further into the details of the mugging?? Or is the incident still under investigation??

Top Dog

black_cat

• Middle Ring
i don't feel like digging up a grave before i get around to pissing on it.
"a black cat isn't a black cat unless it knows the tail of a thousand cats." - black_cat

top dog

• Bulls-eye
Black Cat,
I agree.
         Top Dog

pioneer

• Gun Fumbler
Great story with a happy ending.  Congratulations on being prepared to do what you had to do.  Also, impressive performance for a .22. 

I've often wondered, does anyone know of a source for .22 and .22 magnum performance in real life or death situations?  There are several places to see how well they do in ballistic jell-o, but not so much for real life threatening self defense use. 
Retired police detective
US Navy Veteran
Life Member NRA / SAF
United States Constitution c. 1791, all rights reserved.

TwoGunJayne

• Bulls-eye
  • Crushes black powder, runs with scissors
    • North American Arms
Great story with a happy ending.  Congratulations on being prepared to do what you had to do.  Also, impressive performance for a .22. 

I've often wondered, does anyone know of a source for .22 and .22 magnum performance in real life or death situations?  There are several places to see how well they do in ballistic jell-o, but not so much for real life threatening self defense use.

You can't go by "one shot stop" statistics because they throw out a whole lot of data, don't account for shot placement, and only "analyze" instances involving one shot. When you do that, you make a "self fulfilling prophecy" as more than one shot wasn't needed so of course it worked. It's logically invalid. You can't even infer that with most handgun rounds that 55%-89% of the time you won't have to hit more than once because of how Marshall and Sanow handled the data.

Unfortunately, Marshall and Sanow are mostly what's out there, even though many are highly critical (in a bad way) of their methodology. There are also the controversial and perhaps bogus/fabricated "Strasburg Goat Tests." 

Here's a pretty scathing evaluation of Marshall and Sanow. http://www.firearmstactical.com/streetstoppers.htm

Be advised to take any "stopping statistics" with a grain of salt and use your mind; devise a testing methodology of your own. The M&S data is nice to keep handy so you can identify when someone is quoting them. Yes, their study had problems.

One set of non-M&S stats I read gave .22 short a nearly identical rating compared to .22 lr hyper velocity. The author then explained that it was likely due to the psychological effect of "wanting to quit" as a result from getting hit and not really anything to do with the nature of the round at all.

One thing I read pointed out that "9mm takes far more hits because when 9mm is used, more rounds tend to be fired when compared to a 5 shot .38." I think that speaks to the controllability and capacity of most 9mm platforms and says ZERO about the capabilities of the round.

The primary problem of compiling and posting "stopping statistics" is that I guarantee 100% that someone, somewhere will accuse you of being completely wrong.

Summary: Mark Twain said that "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Check this out: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/HandgunStandards1.pdf
I think training, practice, and shot placement are FAR more important than caliber or ammo type. It sounds far more logical to me.

If you want to know what the FBI minimums are for ballistic properties, check this out:
http://greent.com/40Page/general/fbitest.htm
12 or more inches under all those conditions? It is no WONDER they went with full-house 10mm at one point. If I needed a minimum to do all that stuff, I'd just get a rifle instead.
« Last Edit: 17 by TwoGunJayne »

top dog

• Bulls-eye
TwoGunJayne,

Very interesting but I tend to go with thinking that anything defensive is better than
 nothing.
I will say,from experience,that a 22 mag fired from a mini magnum is a very good
deterrent.

Top Dog

TwoGunJayne

• Bulls-eye
    • North American Arms
I agree. Besides, you'd be more likely to have a mini on you when something happens as opposed to the massive hand cannon that stays home.

bigwheel

• Bulls-eye
Praise the Lord and hearty congrats to those who were delivered from danger.  Do anybody know why the 10 mm was invented?

TwoGunJayne

• Bulls-eye
    • North American Arms
Panicked, undertrained FBI agents with 9mm silvertips (known for fast opening and low penetration) met a guy on drugs with body armor. The agents almost totally failed to hit the guy whatsoever. Being a government agency, they blamed the equipment and not the training or the officers. They then "100% fixed" the equipment problem in the other direction. I'm surprised there isn't also cannon chambered in the new round.

Summary: If you can't hit a barn while standing in it, getting a larger and more powerful handgun does NOTHING.

bigwheel

• Bulls-eye
Dang Jayne..your a smarty pants. Now seems to recall only about one of the brave FBI folks even was blessed with a High Power. Seems like most were armed with .38 snubbies. Praise the Lord for .12 gauge shot guns huh?

top dog

• Bulls-eye
TwoGun,
Similar incident with the FBI back in '86. They went against two armed bank car robbers who had a penchant for violence. They chose to take them on instead of letting the Metro-Dade SWAT handle it. Result was very bad shoot out with one agent ending the fray with an S&W MP in 38 spl.
The agents were outfought and as always,blamed the equipment saying that they were outgunned but basically were out fought.
Even after that fiasco,they still advised that agents have vests available. I always had to wear mine,because you never really have time to put one on.

Top Dog

adrnln

• Probational user
  • Just carry something.
Couldn't have been just "a dog"? I'm glad you and yours didn't get hurt, but that breed is too often vilified. I would like to give the owner of that dog a piece of my mind.

top dog

• Bulls-eye
Adrnlin,
I agree with you,I blame the owner and not the dog regardless of breed.
There are some people who should not have children,dogs,guns,knive,etc but they seem to flourish.

I just hope that this incident ended without any "fallout"

Top Dog

Smoothboy

• Gun Fumbler
  • Bring yours if your gonna take mine!
I was working at some peoples house when their Doberman escaped his pen and came at me, their little girl who was playing in the back yard began to try and pull the dog away from me....the dog after a minute turned on the little girl who was hitting him on the head with her hand. he took her down biting her in the shoulder, I kicked the dog off her and drew my Black Widow, the little girl was screaming bloody murder and the dog just wanted back at her....I grabbed at him as he went for her again and got a back leg and swung him in a arc maybe 10 ft away from her and I. I shot just as the Mom came around the corner. Got the dog in the head.. he didn't get back up after he fell over. To say it was a tense situation just won't cover it. The Mom lost it and thought for a minute I was a psyco till she realized the dog was loose and the little girl was able to just say "Rusty hurt me". She told me she had warned her husband to get rid of that dog. The little girl went to the emergency room but it wasn't to serious, though it looked bad at the time.

Bigbird48

• I support LGBTQ lets get Biden to Quit
  • Bulls-eye
  • Semper Fi Clic the little World Icon below.
    • Arizona Lazer
 :(Its really sad that you were put in that situation. To bad a person and a dog had to get hurt because an incompetent dog owner doesn't know how to train and restrain his dog. I love dogs I'd much rather shoot the owner then the dog, but if the dog was determined to get you or the little girl well I guess you had no choice.You said her  wound wasn't serious , well maybe from a medical point of view but I can tell ya from personal experience the little girl thought it was serious, IT HURT and HURT BAD. I know I've been bitten several times by dogs and it HURTS!!!!  :'(   

top dog

• Bulls-eye
BigBird,
I agree with you as I tend to blame the owner of the dog and not the dog. I fell bad that both dog and child payed a price as well as the rescuer.

No matter how right you are,there are still some feelings about the entire incident.

Top Dog

Smoothboy

• Gun Fumbler
  • Bring yours if your gonna take mine!
You don't come off a deal like that feeling good. I felt terrible and it was a very awkward situation with a lot of emotion. The wife said she had warned her husband that that dog was dangerous and wanted to get rid of it. I have several dogs and think maybe I could have kept him back.....but the little girl being attacked made it serious.   

top dog

• Bulls-eye
Smoothboy,

You did what you had to do and I am glad you were there and had the intestinal fortitude to get involved.

Yep,I know you feel bad but I know that you would have felt worse if you just stood there and dialed 911.

Virtually all situations happen so very fast and are over long before any help could arrive no matter how quick the response is.

Top Dog

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 24 queries.