Fitting of used Cylinders....who has done it??

Started by beach_hunter, October-12-10 20:10

Previous topic - Next topic

beach_hunter

I bought 2 MAG frame fluted Cylinders...from different places...one LR one Mag. I placed them both in my gun, the fit seemed very very good! so I had my gunsmith check them out to be sure...He said they are perfectly timmed head space was also great!!..one has even a better fit than the cylinder that came with my MM! Who else has found this to be so with there guns? It has got to be true for alot of NAA Revolvers, My results cannot be some fluke? Or strange twist of luck?

sirbarkalot

No fluke.  Most fit right in.  Some MAY not so they have you send it in for fitting.  I have done the same as you with the same result.

Barky

chopprs

I also have several cylinders from different guns and they all fit each other.

bama22

As I wrote in thread "Bullet Trap" Naa wanted both my cylinders when they re-barrelled my gun. So I just assumed that all the cylinders would not interchange. Of course they  would need everything to get the correct clearance to the new barrel.

After reading this thread, I switched the cylinders on my two old 22LRs to see what would happen. They seemed to work pretty well, but some of the time, when cocking, the cylinder bolt would not drop in to it's slot, and when that happened the hammer fell suddenly and completely.  

Note that these guns are from the 1980's, marked "Spanish Fork, UT", perhaps production methods have changed since then.  

mike

ricart

I am going out on a limb here.  It is my understanding that someone other than NAA makes the frames and maybe the cylinders.  I also understand everything is made on a computer ran machine, can't remember the letters for the machine.  This would indicate  the cylinder stop and hand would be the only consideration in timing.  I really wonder just how much fitting has to be done at NAA for "other cylinders"?   Shipping both ways adds another + - $50 to the cost of the ordered cylinder.  This may be a lawyer rule that NAA "has" to fit every cylinder.  As some read in another post, I traded an new unfired Pug for a new B/W with 2 cylinders just because I thought paying almost $100 and 2 weeks wait for NAA to "fit" a L/R cylinder to my Pug was a complete rip off. While I liked the Pug, I hate to feel I'm getting ripped off.

autofull

i also have done this many times. i buy new cylinders in the caliber and frame size of my choice from gun parts, numrich corp and they have always been right on time. i am very capeable of fitting them but i have not had to. now all my mags are convertible to long rifle. autofull

mrmadhat

NAA has updated some of it machinery over the last few years, I am pretty sure they are making thier own cylinders and frames, they buy a number of the internals, if not most of them... I know the hammers and triggers are done with a proccess called MIM (metal injection molding) they had experimented with cylinders done in this mannor but didnt get to great or acceptable results.. they are allot better at tolerances then they used to be from my understanding having taken out a portion of hand calibrated parts

ricart

As some might have read on the  

bullet trap" thread, I traded my Pug after talking to NAA and the $100 rip off to get a new cylinder for the Pug that probably would  have fitted in the first place.   Plus of course, the 2 week wait. Today, my (2nd) B/W came in with the .22LR/.22mag combo.  My other B/W is a .22 LR only.  The two guns serial #'s are 210 #'s apart.  First thing I did was start interchanging the cylinders around.  All were in time, lined up, and interchanged with both frames perfectly. In fact, one of the new cylinders had less end play than the original that came with my first B/W.   Unless the lawyers are getting involved, why can't NAA mail a cylinder.  If it does not work with your gun, "THEN" go to the expense of sending in the gun for fitting?   I would love to hear Sandy explain this.

chopprs

You answered your own question. The one out of a hundred or how ever how many it is, that does not fit properly will, because of Murphy's Law, be sent to the one DOLT that wouldn't check it. He would blow his hand off and sue NAA......It sux but that is why!