Cut loads and wax loads

Started by widow420, April-06-12 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

widow420

this is new to me.  anyone try cut loads or wax loads before?  supposedly it's the poor man's slug.  i'm 30.  poor but not old.  would it be advisable to try a load in a mossberg 500?

shadowofleaves

I've never tried wax bullets in a rimfire (or a shotgun for that matter). However, in the days before "simuntion" (simulated ammunition) was widely available, my police academy firearms instructors would load empty .38 special brass with a new primer (magnum primers, IIRC) and press a block of parafin wax into the cases using wooden blocks and a vise. Fifty rounds were loaded at a time with this contraption. Safety Glasses were required to be worn at all times during training and they kinda stung a might at close range. I remember one of the instructors shot one of these rounds in the classroom and made a hole through a brand new projector screen while demonstrating a shoot/no shoot situation. The academy commander was less than impressed.

Uncle_Lee

If you are talking about what I think you are talking about with the "cut load". (bunch of typing for nothing)

The cut load-scoring around a shotgun shell so the front of the hull comes off and goes out the barrel in one piece with the shot in it until it hits something.  

Is that what you mean???

I have heard of this many times.

I have tried this many times.

I have never seen it work, no not once.......
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

flowder

Parafin wax modified loads work. Cut shells not so much. Dang, with slugs for shotguns, why not just buy the properly manufactured slug? Parafin bullets are a waste of time and effort and primers.

Uncle_Lee

Never seen a slug when I was a kid.

(just rocks and slings  )
God, Country, & Flag

heyjoe

we have plenty of slugs around here. believe it or not they were out in february this year, thats how warm the winter was. i never wore a coat the whole winter. same as 2001-2002.
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

chopprs

......I got shot off my dirt bike when a farmer shot ma butt with rock salt when I was a kid. ...does that count?

flowder

Salt works on slugs?...LOL (rub yer butt on it chopprs?) Salt kills slugs...LOL

chopprs

......not funny. It stung for days!!!!

flowder

I am sorry could not resist..Actually that reminded me of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies...she was keen on rocksalt!

widow420

buddy of mine got caught trespassing and caught a load of rock salt to the back.  also heard a guy was nabbing folks crab cages and a guy sent him out of his boat with a shot of rock to the buttocks.  as for the cut shells not working i've seen numerous videos on youtube showing their effectiveness.  i don't think i'll try it with my shotgun, but if anyone wants to hand me theirs i'll give it a whirl.

skarrd

about 30-35 years ago an older gentleman showed us how to *cut*shells,for the 20 guage's,since we didn't have access to *slugs*at that time,they worked fairly well out of my old sawn off H&R single bbl.

jsan

I have tried cut-shells out of my 870 before and they worked remarkably well for being a ghetto-rigged slug.  Shot it out of a 18" barrel and it left a pretty nice clean hole in the target at 30 yards.  Didn't quite make it on target, but it was a ways out and I was using a smoothbore with a front bead.  Left a nice crater in the dirt and found a mangled mess of hull and wad in one piece.  I imagine even a birdshot cut-shell would do some nasty damage to a deer or bad guy.  

chopprs

......maybe thirty or so years ago when I was young I was really crazy, hanging around motorcycle clubs and the like. I carried a sawed off H&R in a shoulder holster. I drilled the slugs out and put mercury in them from an old thermostat and squeezed/swaged the end over. I tried a couple against a steel plate and they just blew up, not explode but blew into a million pieces. Good thing I never shot anyone. Boy was I stupid!!! LOL

Messing with carry rounds is DUMB!!!

doc_stadig

Wax bullets are used a lot in fast-draw competitions. I've used them in my Blackhawk 357, they're much safer and most have specially designed cartridges that utilize shot gun primers without any powder. I've heard of folks that will throw a small amount of blackpowder for the smoke effect, but I'd stay away from that.  

Do a search for wax bullets and you'll find find them.

Doc

bud

I have been to turkey shoots before, and they make you use a shell they give you just to make sure you don't cut the shell for the turkey shoot.

jsan

Perhaps the OP may also mean a "wax load" by pouring some molten wax into the shot cup full of shot to solidify it into a solid "slug" of sorts.  I've never tried it, but I imagine it could also work.  

Cut-shells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU

Wax slugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWWqXVbAfA&feature=relmfu">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBWWqXVbAfA&feature=relmfu

Kevin

I read about wax loads for indoor training back in the 70's. It sounded messy. I never tried them, but I did try the Speer plastic training rounds http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx">http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx in my .357. They did let me practice trigger control and give definite feedback on point-of-aim.

For self-defense, I cobbled up some handgun buckshot rounds using a Lee Loader, Speer .38 empty shotshell capsules and #3 (I think) buckshot removed from 20 gauge buckshot loads. I found if I squished them in a vice just a little bit, they would flatten out enough to fit 3 bullets to a shotshell. This was before Glaser Safety Slugs were available in local gun shops. There was no accuracy beyond 10-15 feet, so I kept a few for a while as an in-the-house load.

Uncle_Lee

Thanks for the links.

Now I know what I was doing wrong.

There is a difference in hearing how to do something and seeing how to do it.
God, Country, & Flag

hawn

When I was 18, I got shot with rock salt by an old chinese lady. I guess she had all the right to shoot me. My friend and I was stealing melons from her farm in Waimanalo, Hawaii.

If you never experienced rock salt. Be glad...lol

~hank

hawn

When I was 18, I got shot with rock salt by an old chinese lady. I guess she had all the right to shoot me. My friend and I was stealing melons from her farm in Waimanalo, Hawaii.

If you never experienced rock salt. Be glad...lol

~hank