Aguila Colbri vs. Super Colbri

Started by magnum_mike, September-13-12 16:09

Previous topic - Next topic

magnum_mike

I have tinnitus and any loud noise, that wouldnt bother most people, causes my ears to ring louder. That said, I can shoot Super Colbri from my BW (and my 4" S&W 63 or 617) without hearing protection without causing additional damage. My question, for those that have shot this ammo, is the Colbri significantly quieter? I cant find any locally to try. Colbri is primer fired only while the Super version has a small amount of powder. I use this around the yard for dispatching pests and am thinking on carrying my BW or a MM while hunting for close range. If the Colbri was a LOT quieter, it would be worth buying a brick for this purpose.

Any other ammo worth looking into for this purpose? I tried Aguila SSS and it it L O  U D, not something i can shoot in town.

Appreciate your input, thanks!
mike
----------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

scbuxton

Mike I just looked at both collibri and super collibri boxes and both say sin powdra. Collibri seems to be 325 fps and super is rated at 500fps. I shoot both out of my old H&R 929 six inch and I can't tell much difference in noise levels. Neither one is loud enough to rouse my neighbors. I keep a magazine for my Marlin Papoose loaded with super collibri and it sounds like a suppressed .22. It does the job on a squirrel out to 30 yds. or so but I have to manually cycle the action. Much more effective than a pellet gun. They pop pretty good in my 1 1/8 mini, about like one of those mini firecrackers we call lady fingers.

Like I say, I can't tell much difference if any. I have a good Db meter at work I'll have to bring it home and experiment some.

stantheman86

I have used both, and can't tell a difference between noise and power for each of them........the longer the barrel, the less noise you're going to make.  When I lived in NJ, I used to use the Colibri and the CCI .22 Long CB cap rounds to kill squirrels, with my Ruger 10/22. The squirrels used to chew my house up, so I used to shoot like 3 or 4 of them a day in my backyard with the powderless .22's...........they had enough pop out of the rifle barrel to drop a squirrel stone dead at 10 yards or so............I had neighbors and I was in anti-gun NJ with a bunch of soccer mom neighbors, so I removed a screen from one of my windows.....I would see a squirrel, ease the window open, and shoot from inside the house to further deaden the noise...........it would be like "fap!" and you would see a squirrel drop, dead before it hit the ground. I couldn't shoot them out of trees because I was in a residential neighborhood and didn't want a stray round, so I had to wait for on the ground shots......now, I live in PA and it's a free fire zone 8), and I shoot groundhogs all day long on my parent's property with .22 LR Stingers, .22 Magnums and occasionally one of my AR-15's.....

With the Colibris, At 25 yards I could see the bullets arcing out of the barrel from a 6" S&W K-22, these are mouse fart rounds. Sure, they're quiet but they basically turn your .22 into a pellet gun.  Shooting a Black Widow with these for target shooting would be a sub-10 yards type thing, and even then, accuracy is going to suck no matter what.   At 5 yards my K-22 can shoot a decent group with the Colibri, any longer than that and you get shotgun patterns. At 25 yards the bullet drop is lke 6" or more.

I used to like the Colibri when I had this old H&R .22 Long pocket revolver from the 1890's...........it was so old I wouldn't trust it with "real" .22 Longs, so I would just cut the nose off the .22 LR Colibri slugs and they would fit in the Long chamber. Made a fun little close up plinker, until the gun broke and I sold it for next to nothing to a collector.

If you want the best "quiet" .22, get the CCI CB cap .22 LR.

RogueTS1

If you want the best quiet .22 you should really think about getting a threaded barrel auto with a suppressor and use your favorite name brand ammo. The barrels are usually too short to be supersonic and are quieter than a pellet gun even in enclosed areas. Loads of fun too. Our airsoft guns make a bit more noise than any of the suppressed .22's do.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

bud

I have about a half box of old .22 cb caps that are half again the size of a 22 short. Can't find any more of them.
I call them .22 short short. ;)