Cut Down B/W

Started by ricart, October-15-10 12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

ricart

I saw what I think was a cut down B/W, now can't find the thread.  I have a couple of B/W's, am considering cutting one to a 2 1/2" barrel, sort of a semi Pug and installing a large shotgun sight.  I can do the necessary smithing except re-crowning  a barrel.  Don't have the equipment.  Are the NAA barrels crowned?  I can't tell from looking.  Years ago they were not. Has anyone done this and what problems, if any, did you run into?  Did you crown the barrel?

beach_hunter

I cut down a MINI-MASTER from 4" to 1.5 inches..the BLACK WIDOW has a 2" bbl...so do ypu mean cut it to 1.5"?? RE-CROWN can be done on a bbl with a  muzzel chamfer bit from Brownells..easy to do. Here is my cut down MM.

ricart

Yeah, that's the photo I was thinking of.  I felt the Pug should have been a 1 1/2" instead of the 1".  While I have cut off shotgun barrels, what did you use to make the cut?

beach_hunter

HACK SAW, THEN SQUARED IT OFF WITH A FILE THEN MADE SANDING BLOCKS STARTED WITH CORSE...WORKED UP TO 600 GRIT THEN 3M...BUFFED WITH FLITZ AND FELT WHEEL.

chopprs

Did you ever figure out the front sight issue?

I bet one from a Wasp would work well.

grayelky

It presents VERY well on the Wasp, but I have not had a chance to shoot it yet, so I can't say for sure. I like the Night Site on the front of the PUG.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

beach_hunter

I like the NO SIGHTS....SMOOTH SNAG FREE....I got the factory rear sight and a brass with Ivory ball shotgun sight if I ever want to install sights. I ground the old fron sight so its flush with the barrel rib...keeps me from snagging the dovetail.

ricart

A large gold or ivory shotgun bead sight should work well.  Plenty of meat in the top ramp to drill and tap..  I am considering the project, don't know yet  I got weary of working on guns a couple of years ago, when I hit 70,  Maybe just one more project.  Also getting the time of year my motorcycle club starts a lot of "helping hand" projects.