I shot the SBS pistol

Started by bill_deshivs, December-04-16 00:12

Previous topic - Next topic

bill_deshivs

It's a monster! Shooting 2-3/4" shells is actually a little painful. After about 10 rounds, it was time for me to stop.
Recoil is straight back into the hand due to the grip design. The grip is designed to prevent the gun rolling up during recoil- allowing the second barrel to be fired accurately and quickly.
Pattern at 15-20 feet is about 8" with #1 buck, and quite a bit wider with #7-1/2 shot.
It's loud, too!
Ms. Debbie, being the trooper she is, also had a go with it.
I have no desire to shoot 3" magnums in it

To Old To Run

That does look like it would be a monster to shoot.....But Bill, you did a great job of bringing it all together like you have done...very nice. 

top dog

Bill,
I do hope that you put your left hand ON TOP OF  the bbl before you touched it off. Otherwise you might get knocked on the noggin!!!!
That looks super nice.

Top Dog

ikoiko

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

MR_22

bill_deshivs

Top dog- as I said, the recoil is straight back-not up.
The grip is designed to keep the barrels from rising.

zburkett

I can only shoot my Super Blackhawk because it does rotate up in my hand.  I've never been able to handle a Smith & Wesson 44 because the grip forces it straight back.  I love the look of your gun but I'm not sure I would want to be on either end of it when it goes off.

top dog

Glad to hear that the recoil  is straight back,good design of the grips.

Considering bbl length,is the muzzle blast severe???

Top Dog

bill_deshivs

It's loud, but I didn't notice the blast so much as the recoil. We only put about 15 rounds total through it, as the range was closing.
I'm sure the blast is there with 10" barrels, though.

top dog

Again,that is one super nice looking gun.

Glad that it all worked out well for you.

Top Dog

Surculus

Quote from: bill_deshivs on December-04-16 00:12
It's a monster! Shooting 2-3/4" shells is actually a little painful. After about 10 rounds, it was time for me to stop.
Recoil is straight back into the hand due to the grip design. The grip is designed to prevent the gun rolling up during recoil- allowing the second barrel to be fired

Is that an original Auto&Burglar, or some sort of repop? If the latter, did you roll your own or is that an actual modern product?

Not practical for me [I live behind the Granola Curtain, so almost unobtainium, if not so outright], but it's fun to imagine... thanks for posting!

bill_deshivs

It's a reproduction of a 1960s copy of the 1920s Ithaca Auto & Burglar gun- the Holland Auto Burglar.
All the work was done by me. Cutting barrels and forearm, making the pistol grip, the hand engraving, the required machine engraving, installing the front sight, nickel plating, gold plating,- everything. The gun started out as a Baikal 20 ga. double barrel.

grayelky

VERY impressive. Do you think a 20 ga would have tolerable recoil?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"