What's the most painful handgun you've ever fired?

Started by MR_22, December-29-16 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

MR_22

Quote from: RogueTS1 on December-21-17 20:12
My 450ti seems to be no more recoil to me than shooting .38 sp out of my 617ss. That is .45 Colt out of a titanium snubby seems about the same as .38 sp out of a stainless steel snubby. I do not believe you have anything to worry about.

Well, shooting .357's from my titanium Taurus 617 hurts. Not a lot, and it's still reasonable, but it's not comfortable. That's what I'm basing my worries upon.

Quote from: WECSOG on December-21-17 23:12
I have a 34 oz Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum that kicks a bit with full power loads. My Super Redhawk .480 is noticeable when I shoot it, too. Also my .357 LCR with original spec heavy-bullet loads, or really anything over 125 grains loaded to full power.
But my first-ever handgun at age 13 was a .45 black powder derringer that weighed 16 oz, and I used the original .45 black powder rifle cartridges as loading suggestions! For example a 325 grain bullet over 90 grains of black powder, because there was a .45-90 BP cartridge.
Sounds dangerous I know, but the barrel was as thick as .45 caliber BP rifles.

I'm sure my Taurus .44-Special won't be as rough as your .44-Magnum, but I'm thinking it's still going to be a handful! Now I'm starting to look forward to it, pain and all.

MR_22

Quote from: Warty62 on December-21-17 16:12
Mr 22, the ported DB9?  I will guess there are no pix.  So, I suppose I will be fine. ???

All right, here ya go! I just took these photos and it's late and they didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but there it is. Maybe I'll take some better ones.

Anyway, I have carried this DB9 a quite a bit in a pocket holster. I carry Remington JHP standard pressure 9mm's, as the gun is not rated for +P. I have used my Chrony on this gun with the standard barrel and this ported barrel and the extra length gives me a small boost in velocity. I'm not sure if I've noticed a big difference in muzzle flip or not. I'd have to do some more testing while paying attention specifically to that. Recoil is not bad at all with this gun. It hurts less than my Guardian .380.

WECSOG

That's an interesting port job. Did you do that?
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Warthog

Very nice Mr 22.  That looks like a good one, gonna see if my LGS can find me one or maybe I will see if my Smith can port the one I have now.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

MR_22

Quote from: WECSOG on December-21-17 23:12
That's an interesting port job. Did you do that?

No, it's a factory ported barrel. I bought it from Diamondback that way. I don't know if they still have any. It's been a few years ago.

MR_22

Quote from: Warty62 on December-22-17 00:12
Very nice Mr 22.  That looks like a good one, gonna see if my LGS can find me one or maybe I will see if my Smith can port the one I have now.

You're going to need a longer barrel that protrudes from the end of the slide. I supposed you could port the barrel and then drill through the top of the slide, though. This is a factory barrel, though. I didn't do it or have a gunsmith do it.

Warthog

well, I will see what I can do to either buy one or get one done.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

I could do that with my metal cut off saw :)
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

WECSOG

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-22-17 20:12
That's what I was thinking. I have a bandsaw that would do that!  ;D
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

heyjoe

my Ruger Vaquero Sheriff model with 330 gr 45 Colt Ruger only loads
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

MR_22

Quote from: WECSOG on December-23-17 07:12
Quote from: redhawk4 on December-22-17 20:12
That's what I was thinking. I have a bandsaw that would do that!  ;D

The hard part is going to be getting an extended DB9 barrel.

autofull

ha, i loaned out my 45acp downsizer to a buddy awhile back and he returned it and said never again. he fired two rounds outta it and gave four back. i  told him it was fun, i lied.  kevin.

WECSOG

I was shooting my Taurus Tracker .44 Mag today, and I noticed something interesting. It has a ported 4" barrel. I shot several different loads including 245 grain Keith bullet loaded to 800ish fps in .44 Special cases, 200 grain cast bullets at ~1000 fps in Magnum cases, and full power 180 and 240 grain .44 Magnum JHPs. The interesting thing I noticed is that the full power loads had much greater flash and blast, but didn't seem to kick any harder than the much lighter loads. I guess the greater volume and pressure of gas from the full power loads used the muzzle brake more effectively, while the lighter loads of fast powder had very little muzzle brake effect.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

MR_22

Yeah, that is interesting, WECSOG. I have a number of Taurus revolvers with porting and I wondered about how effective they were.

WECSOG

Quote from: MR_22 on January-04-18 15:01
Yeah, that is interesting, WECSOG. I have a number of Taurus revolvers with porting and I wondered about how effective they were.
Quite, apparently.
I once fired a couple rounds out of a ported Raging Bull with full power 260 grain .454 Casull loads, and it didn't seem bad at all except for the blast and flash. Didn't kick much at all. I did feel some torque though; it twisted to the left iirc.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

MR_22

Those Raging Bulls are pretty heavy, which I'm sure also help with the recoil. I recently purchase a big 8-shot .357-Magnum Taurus 608 with an 8-inch barrel. I'm guessing recoil, even with hot loads, are going to be pleasant, even fun, to shoot with this beast. Can't wait to try it out.

grizzly

I have several very large handguns with the largest being a custom Magnum Research BFR chambered in 50-110 WCF. While it has the most recoil of any handgun I've fired it is not the most painful. The most painful would probably either be a Bond Arms Backup shooting Buffalo bore .45 Super ammo, my Bond Arms Ranger with 3" Winchester pdx1 .410, or my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley .454 or .480. To me the .454 and .480 both have similar recoil even though most feel that the .480 is more manageable. On a side note, I saw that Bond Arms is bringing back the .44 Magnum chambering with a Magnaported barrel. I will get one as soon as I am able to.

gebe

I'm not very recoil sensitive with handguns but this one was an adventure especially with hot loads. Cut the web of my hand twice and bled like crazy. My fault as I was "limp wristing" it. All in all, it was fun to shoot.

.357 4 barreled C.O.P. derringer. Traded it off for something or other and wish I still had it.

Kingpin06

I've had and shot a lot of guns in my time,but the one that hurt was a Double Tap in .45.It felt like I had hit my right hand with a hammer,put three rounds through it and traded it back off.

MR_22

Quote from: Kingpin06 on January-22-18 03:01
I've had and shot a lot of guns in my time,but the one that hurt was a Double Tap in .45.It felt like I had hit my right hand with a hammer,put three rounds through it and traded it back off.

Haha, it's a beast, isn't it? My DoubleTap .45 is what prompted this thread. I got to 4 rounds. Haven't had the courage to take it shooting again. Maybe someday. I'm keeping it, though, because I like oddball guns.

Oddball

Without question my Double Tap 45 was the most painful handgun I've ever fired. Its bad when it functions normally but I've had it double fire on me and it's the only time I ever dropped a gun in pain. My hand went numb for several minutes.
A friends short barreled 500 S&W was less painful to fire.

aronious