Bore Cleaning?

Started by CalPoly85, December-31-16 09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

CalPoly85

How often do you recommend running a bore brush through the barrel?

I ask because on my 22 rifle, with a carbon wrapped stainless barrel, they recommend never using a brass/copper bore brush.

So far I've only used Q-tips to clean the bore.

OLD and GRUMPY

That will depend on your ammo and how much you shoot. Don't brush your rifle if they say not to.  With mini just swab with #9. Run a brush through 2 or 3 strokes then swab again. No need to scrub. Much easier to keep it clean than to get the lead out later.Get a pistol brush not a rifle brush they are shorter. I got a rifle brush stuck in a revolver and could not push it through or pull it out.

When I get a new or old gun I like to use JB bore polish the first time. Just a little extra shine and finish in a cheap gun and helps a lot to restore  a old bore. This is a must when building a kit.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

CalPoly85

Sorry, I was just asking about using a bore brush in my new mini?

I actually have 2 rimfire rifles that recommend that brass/copper bore brushes not be used.

I was actually hoping to just pull a bore snake through the NAA mini to clean it every now and then and then had second thoughts because of my rifle manufacturers instructions related to their stainless steel barrels.

Thanks for input and recommendations!

cfsharry

CP,
What brand of rifle do you have? Must be a SBR if a Q -Tip reach from crown to chamber.
Seriously, I don't see how a brass brush would harm stainless steel. Is it more of a concern over scraping carbon fiber?

lefty dude

I use a 22 cal nylon brush for the bore and a 25 cal nylon brush for the cylinder chambers. At the range or when shooting for extended time, when the brass gets sticky on extraction I have a short cleaning rod and the 25 cal nylon brush for a quick cylinder chamber clean.
Works for me.
Oh, and BTW; I use frog lube CLP for bore & cylinder cleaner. Good stuff, try it you will like it !

To Old To Run

Quote from: cfsharry on January-03-17 21:01
CP,
What brand of rifle do you have? Must be a SBR if a Q -Tip reach from crown to chamber.
Seriously, I don't see how a brass brush would harm stainless steel. Is it more of a concern over scraping carbon fiber?

I also take a brass cleaning brush to the range with me, I'm very mindful of not damaging the crown when I use it.
My thoughts were in line with what Harry has said...S.S being harder than brass...I'm open for input.

blue_heron

What kind of rifle do you have? Is it a bolt, or a single shot, or a lever, or semi-auto. Can you clean from the breach?

CalPoly85

LOL!

I've only used Q-tips on my NAA mini, not on my rifles. 

On my Ruger 10/22 rifles, with Volquartsen carbon fiber wrapped stainless steel barrels, I only shoot pure lead, unplatted, 22's and clean them with Hoppes #9, a soaked patch on fishing filament and a bore snake with the brush removed. Volquartsen recommended against the use of brass/copper bore brushes through the stainless bore of their carbon fiber barrel. Because of this, I've been careful with my NAA stainless mini up to now. 

blue_heron

Straight stainless steel barrels, as opposed to the carbon fiber barrel wrapped around stainless steel barrel, are pretty tough, and I do understand your concern. Your NAA stainless mini shouldn't be a problem as long as you're careful of the muzzle crown.
Again, using a rod with a guide to protect the muzzle crown, I see no problem with using a 22 caliber mop in your rifle barrel.
You may want to consider using Ballistol as a complete cleaner lubricant. http://ballistol.com/about-us/

JRobyn

I refuse to believe that any firearm barrel is so fragile that it could be damaged by a brass or copper/bronze bore brush used carefully.  If I was considering buying an aftermarket barrel for anything and it included prohibitions against using bore brushes, I would look elsewhere for my barrel.  YMMV.