Lowly 22

Started by grayelky, January-03-17 08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

grayelky

We are often scoffed at by others when they learn we carry a .22 for self protection. We, of course, feel the lowly 22 is underrated. Perhaps we are correct. While reading an article trying to convince any and everyone of the worthiness of a certain caliber, I found in the article a chart showing the relative incapacition index of several calibers. One of the sources quoted is "Balliatics by the Inch", which many here recognize. If you like/understand ballistics, or you can read a chart and interpret the data, you may find this an interesting read:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/357-buster-ruger-sp101-327-fed-mag/

Enjoy.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

mainstreet

Very interesting. Thanks.

JRobyn

We had a little shooting fun for new years.  Niece and her boyfriend tried out their new Christmas guns, a 9mm semi and a pair of ARs.  Since niece's son participated, it was a good opportunity to do a little firearms education so out came my .22 semiauto rifle and the .44 mag lever action rifle for comparison.  Showed him exactly how different sub-sonic and regular .22 rounds were in the rifle.  Then for a little more comparison, showed him the .22mag rounds from my Sidewinder and had him test fire it.  EVERYONE'S eyes got big!  The .44mag rifle wasn't as loud as the .22mag in the short barreled revolver.  The sound alone commands attention!

To Old To Run

The fit was the first thing that got my attention on this 22lr mini.  The 380 I was carrying at the time was quite cumbersome and I found myself not taking it with me a lot.
I had some reservations on the caliber also.  I new what 22lr would do out of a rifle but not out of a 1-1/8 barrel.
After some range time, I was thinking this just might be the ticket for me. I knew I wasn't going to get much more than I already had but I wanted to tweak it as much as possible, so I started testing different brands of bullets.
The one I ended up with is the... Remington Yellow Jacket...it seems to scoot along fast enough to expand and penetrate the most on a water jug test I performed, as far as the loudest the...Stinger...took first prize on that.
I don't think I'm foolish for picking the Lowly 22 for a carry pistol. I have never had to display or use a firearm in a self defense situation so I have no experience just theory.  Kind of like a pocket knife, sometimes you wished you had a bigger one but made due with the one you were carrying. 

zburkett

For many years I carried a Derringer and then switched to a Ruger .380 lcp.  Then I switched to a Mini 1 5/8" with floppy wobblers because I am more accurate with it.  My most common threat is a snake in my hen house and CCI Quite 22 are enough with a head shot.  I will often move up to CCI mini mag or even carry my mag mini.  In any case I would rather be under gunned than unguned.

Canoeal

Info on the site listed totally missed 22 Mags... Unless they are listed as 22 short, long, LR...as dii some of the subsequent articles, connected to this...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Loud in a 22 mag usually means rifle rounds being shot out of a handgun...Did ya ever notice Gold Dots and Hornadys are a little quiter? That's because the powder is mostly burned in the barrel not shooting out of the muzzle...Think about it.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

grayelky

Quote from: Canoeal on January-04-17 21:01
Info on the site listed totally missed 22 Mags... Unless they are listed as 22 short, long, LR...as dii some of the subsequent articles, connected to this...
I too wondered if the mag was lumped with the other 22s, or not included, or maybe too small a sample to mention. Inquiring minds want to know. If it is lumped with them, it would bring the "average" up, and mean it is better than average. Maybe. If it is not included, logic dictates it would perform better than the group. Either way, the mag is, at least a little, ahead of the curve.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Django2442

The graphs and info used were pulled from Buckeyes studies, my understanding regarding the .22 info was .22lr, .22short, not magnum.

Here's the original write up with the follow up

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/using-22-self-defense

nastruck

My guess would be that the 22 mag was omitted because it is not carried as often as the 22 LR. Either way it is a most interesting article. Thanks for posting it!!!!

grade8holsters

If you want more graphs to look at, Shooting the Bull put together a really cool "Ammo Quest" study for the best 22lr rounds to shoot out of a NAA revolver.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/naa-22lr-mini-revolver-ammo-quest-results/

To Old To Run

Quote from: grade8holsters on January-06-17 15:01
If you want more graphs to look at, Shooting the Bull put together a really cool "Ammo Quest" study for the best 22lr rounds to shoot out of a NAA revolver.

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/naa-22lr-mini-revolver-ammo-quest-results/

I've seen that video and it was very interesting.He said he was going to do a part two on some more brands, like the Stinger,Yellow Jacket and a few others that he has not tested yet.
I've been waiting over a year for him to get to part two but nothing yet.

seaotter

Shooting The Bull has been putting out a LOT videos. He mentioned in the comments section of one of his videos that he had tested Stingers, and some others, but wasn't overly impressed with the results. He DID test 22wmr Gold Dots and Hornady Critical defense out of a Black Widow. The gold dots did really well, which is why I started thinking about getting a 22wmr cylinder for my own BW.

Mr.Ed131a

Interesting that this thread started on a read on the .327. Another oft forgotten round that has impressive statistics. And, it's light, easy for the petite firer to handle, and delivers a whopping blow. And, if you want to stop traffic at the shooting range let loose with a snubby loaded with Speer Gold Dot100 Grain Jacketed Hollow Points. You'll draw a crowd asking, "what was that!"  Promise - it happened. But, by the time they got to my lane I hand safed and lay down the 327 and had my mini in my hands. Held my gut not to laugh at looks on their faces when I showed them the mini.  ;D