Previous topic - Next topic

MtGoat

Why doesn't NNA still make the 17 HMR?
Are they accurate?
17 HMR is easier to find than 22 Mag.

What are your thoughts on a 17 HMR NAA?

Pat

Uncle_Lee

I think there was trouble with the bottle necked cartridge backing out and jamming the cylinder.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

MtGoat

So paying too much for one to use readily available ammunition is not well advised if you plan to shoot it a lot?
The locking up issue was not limited to one brand of ammo or there wasn't a fix for the problem other than stop making them?
I king of had my mind set on one but would want to shoot it ALOT...maybe even get a Mach II cylinder if available.

Pat

grayelky

When the 17 HMR came out, just about everyone who made a 22 mag quickly made the .17 HMR. As far back as I remember, the bottle neck cartridge has always been a problem in the revolver, regardless of caliber. As the case expands outward and to the rear, the bottle neck seems to force the cartridge even further back, jamming the cylinder. Not all revolvers would do this, but most would. Enough to create enough complaints that production was halted. Like so many others, NAA will return a new .22 mag if a .17 is sent in for warranty work. To my knowledge, Taurus is the only company still making a .17 HMR.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

docglock

MtGoat

Quote from: grayelky on February-03-17 05:02
When the 17 HMR came out, just about everyone who made a 22 mag quickly made the .17 HMR. As far back as I remember, the bottle neck cartridge has always been a problem in the revolver, regardless of caliber. As the case expands outward and to the rear, the bottle neck seems to force the cartridge even further back, jamming the cylinder. Not all revolvers would do this, but most would. Enough to create enough complaints that production was halted. Like so many others, NAA will return a new .22 mag if a .17 is sent in for warranty work. To my knowledge, Taurus is the only company still making a .17 HMR.

I wonder if NAA would make it right and NOT send back a 22 mag if there were issues?
I guess it is not worth the trouble unless NAA would commit to making it work if there were issues.
Bummer.

Pat

grayelky

docglock-
Obviously, it has been a little while since I checked on this. Thanks for bringing up the Ruger.

MtGoat-
I can't speak for NAA, but it is their current policy to replace the 17 with a 22 mag. Before I sent it in, I would call Mis Jessica and speak with her.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

MR_22

There are a number of old threads here on the NAA board that discuss the problems with the .17 NAA's (both .17HMR and .17Mach2). You might be able to find some of these discussions using the search feature.