An ammo idea for NAA

Started by JRobyn, April-17-17 08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

JRobyn

I sure like the notion of using ammo specifically designed for my very short-barreled NAA.  But I sure agree with other folks on here that it is difficult to find.  Perhaps NAA could do some bulk ordering from the manufacturers and then resell on the NAA website as an "accessory"?  The lowest possible cost is not that important to me; having a reliable supply source of good ammo is.  I assume that NAA could get the attention of the manufacturers better than the typical LGS.  Sandy? 

grayelky

My guess is they already buy huge amounts of ammo, so they already get an attractive price. However, with the Haz mat fees for shipping ammo, and the fact that would put them in competition (an unfair advantage, I might add) with the very people they depend on to sell their guns, they probably will not be interested in the idea. I do understand where you come from on this. I have a gun shop and have not, been able to buy any Hornaday Critical Defense nor Speer Gold Dot 22 mag in a very long time.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Texduk3

a valid point, 
we as NAA customers, have no option, and must  buy, the NOT OPTIMUM (less favored ?) loads. from where-ever
when the original theory behind the fire-arm purchase was just the opposite.
With the random scarcity of >22mag loads, why even consider any  gun that shoots them? :-\  (ie Henry rifles)
some of us actually shoot the lil things on a regular basis, and dont treat them as safe queens
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

EvilWayz

I'm not really sure why there is such a scarcity of the ammo we want, as soon as they get it we buy it all.  Hell, I expect to see a unicorn before i see Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold dot short barrel sitting side by side on a shelf. 
And Hades followed with him...

PaPa K

I lucked out and got a couple boxes of the Hornaday 4-5 months ago, never have seen the Speer in person. But I keep an eye out all the time.

Fharing

Besides ammo seek,  I also use gunbot. I scored 5 boxes of 45gr. hornady for 14.50 each shipped. Got them from a place called 3rd generation.

EvilWayz

Gunbot ain't showing no Speer in WMR at all.  Neither is Ammoseek.  But there is a 250 lot of Hornady crit def ftx for a bill and a half.  That's thirty dollars a box, which is highway robbery as far as I am concerned.  I spose beggars realyl can't be choosers. 
And Hades followed with him...

Canoeal

I have been lucky enough to have bought and stocked a small supply of both. I have not seen any in the last 4 months though.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Lemon

I had both Hornady Critical Defense and Gold dots on here for sale for $20 a box and no one purchased. I sold some locally. People will pay a business and gun show top dollar and grab every box. If an individual sales a box seems they want to pay $10 or $12. So I will keep the rest of my Speer Gold Dots and Hornady. They look nice in my glass cabinet and they look even better in my Sidewinder cylinder.   :)

grayelky

Lemon-
Had you been local to me, I may have gotten a couple of boxes. By the time you ad Haz Mat shipping fees, it gets to be expensive for just one or 2 boxes.

Lemon

Mr. grayelky I sure would have helped you out if you had come along at the right time. I don't know all of the ins and outs to shipping but I have never paid a Haz Mat fee when I purchase ammo online. I know different states have different laws. May be different if an individual ships to another. I would agree it would not be worth it if someone had to pay the fee. I have never shipped any so I do not know. I have a lot of regular plinking 22LR on hand. I figure someone will come along and want some of it and if not I will shoot it as time allows. I am currently into reloading and not shooting the 22 as much now.

MtGoat

Summary:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) - Shipping ammo is prohibited.
United Parcel Service (UPS) - Shipping ammo permitted with packaging/weight/labeling qualifications.
Federal Express (FedEx) - Shipping ammo generally prohibited unless HazMat certified.

Details:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS): Shipping of Ammunition is Prohibited

Ammunition (Cartridges, small arms) is a nonmailable hazardous material. "Under no circumstances may any nonmailable hazardous material, restricted matter, or perishable matter be deposited for mailing."

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail
Cartridges, small arms - Appendix A - Hazardous Materials

United Parcel Service (UPS):

1. Pack ammo within a sturdy cardboard box, gross weight limit of 66 pounds.
2. Print ORM-D label, cut out and tape to a least one side of box.
3. Take package to a UPS Customer Center only - NOT at Drop-Off Box, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes etc., Sonic. Might be a good idea to have the UPS Hazardous Material Support Center number with you -- 800-554-9964. Varied success with UPS pick-up at your location.

Per UPS:
UPS accepts domestic ground shipments of ammunition that have been classified by the shipper as "Cartridges, small arms", "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). The package must be properly marked according to the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). Contact the Hazardous Material Support Center at 800-554-9964 for details on regulatory information.

Federal Express (FedEx):

Per FedEx, 10/26/2006:
HazMat Training is required to qualify to ship all Hazardous Materials. Ammunition is a Hazardous Material. No Drop-Off, package must be picked up by FedEx. See How to Qualify.

Additional shipping information and procedures at CartridgeCollectors.org.

Label meets requirements of 49 CFR 172.316.

You put a "Cartridges, Small Arms" ORM-D label on the box and ship the ammunition UPS.
No extra fees other than the added weight.

You can print off the correct label here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_133/372846_.html

I have shipped and received ammunition a lot over the last few years with no hazmat fees.

Powder, and primers are a different story.

Pat

Lemon

Thank you for the information Mtgoat.

Canoeal

Quote from: EvilWayz on April-17-17 13:04
I'm not really sure why there is such a scarcity of the ammo we want, as soon as they get it we buy it all.  heck, I expect to see a unicorn before i see Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold dot short barrel sitting side by side on a shelf.
They sit nicely on the shelf  in my house...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

grayelky

MtGoat-
Thanks for the research.