Early Spanish Fork Black Widow, upgrade or leave alone?

Started by Old Vet, August-05-17 17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Vet

I recently acquired a Spanish Fork Black Widow .22 LR, and have developed a need for more, that said should I send the early BW back for upgrades and a magnum cylinder fitted or leave alone and get another new model combo ? I already think i know the answer, this BW has .22 LR/22 MAG. SPANISH FORK, UT. on left side of barrel, and BLACK WIDOW on right, pat. no on frame under cylinder and round north american arms logo on upper frame. Flat rubber checkered grips w/ BW symbol on right side, earlier push pin cylinder release. Ser.# BW064xx.
When was the Black Widow model introduced-1991?
Have my life tools and EDC, but now i think I've found a new addiction, These are beautifully machined precision tools, and i collect tools.
Thanks, Mike

Uncle_Lee

Hey Vet,
I would buy a new one with both cylinders.
But that is just me.
I like buying new minis and putting them in the shoebox.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

theysayimnotme

If you had the magnum cylinder I would send it in for the improved cylinder pin. Since it is only .22 lr you should not have the problem with the cylinder pin jumping forward & jamming the revolver.

Old Vet

Thanks,
The old style cylinder pin can move forward about 3/32" into the Ball dimple created forward of the factory detent from prior use. (may be it had a Mag cylinder in its earlier life) It does not pull past this lock up position but it doesn't seem right.
If it doesn't have any "special collector value", I was considering sending it in for the conversion to the new style cross milled cylinder pin and a Mag cylinder fitted.  Give it a new "lease on life" with youthful upgrades... like I could use.
I just don't want to alter something that may be important to keep stock for collector interest, but if its like rebuilding a 1992 Subaru to keep it running right that will never have "collector" interest, I'll give her an upgrade.
Thanks for your advice, Mike

zburkett

If monetary value is important I would leave it the way it is and buy a new one to carry.  If it is the one  you want to carry every day go for the upgrade.

grayelky

You should do none of the above. Send it to me, and I will send you $175.00 towards your purchase of a new BW.........(y'all think he'll fall for it?)
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

MR_22

I would leave it alone and buy another. To me, the old SF minis are collectible, although they really don't command a higher collectible price. But they keep making new NAA minis--but they'll never make the SF ones again, LOL.

tery todd

I am new member as of today (8-9-2017).  Have a Spanish Fork 22 long rifle.  Am 81 years and some brain trouble, need help please.  Can't remember how to open the cylinder to re-load. Some good one out there please give me a hand with this little problem.  Terry Todd-todd.land @sbcglobal.net  or (moderator redacted)        Thanks a bunch.