Ruger Security Sixes

Started by Warthog, August-22-17 20:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Warthog

I had the four inch Security Six since I was 21 or so, was one of my first handguns.  A few years ago, a person died and his wife didn't want his guns around anymore.  The old guy was a collector rather than shooter.  He would buy a firearms and then take it home and put it into his safe and not touch it again.  I happened into the shop around the time his wife was sorting through, letting relatives look them over and then the ones that were left went to the gun shop to be sold.  I looked his stuff over and for the most part there was nothing I wanted but I told the owner if he found there were old Rugers in this stuff to let me know.

He called me and told me there were some and I should come by asap to look at the stuff and decide if I wanted any of it.  He had a 6 inch and a 2 inch Security Six, sadly he didn't have the 3 inch which would have completed the set.  So I told him I would take the 2 and 6 inch and the rest could be let go to other folks.  I put the fancy grips on the 4 inch a long time ago, it has been carried some as well.  I was going to put fancy grips on the 6 inch but it turned out the factory grips were something I had not seen before, Wide Grips, and they fit my big hands well so I decided to leave them alone but I am still thinking about the 2 inch for new grips.

I am a big wheelgun fan and I love Ruger stuff, especially the older stuff.  I thought I would share.  8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Ruger

We love those that share!  Thanks!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Rick_Jorgenson

Very nice bunch of Ruger "wheel guns"

Thanks for sharing!
Rick Jorgenson

autofull

yup, i have a bunch of secrity six,s. i like the 2 3/4 inchers myself.  holds up better than my smith 66 ers, which i have had go outta time over the years. super strong easy to take apart.  my two.  kevin.

Warthog

I love these and all of my Rugers.  I own a bunch, single actions and double actions.  I do own a couple of Colts and S&W's too but my main love, other than NAA Mini revolvers, is RUGER!
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

cfsharry

Had one, (4"). Loved it. Sold it. Regret it!

Stuffgeek

Nice set of wheel guns you got there

simmie

Ruger revolvers are my favorite (except maybe for NAA:).

Uncle Fatso

I prefer my Speed Six and Service Six to anything Ruger offers in .357 Magnum today.  The GP 100 and SP101 are fine revolvers but too big and heavy for their capacities, IMO.

Warthog

I have those too Uncle Fatso, I like them too.  That;s my Speed Six below, I have had that the longest of my Rugers.  Got it back before I was allowed to oown a handgun in IL, my Dad let me have it after he made a trade for a car that got him it and cash. 8)

Don't have a picture of my Service Six ATM, got it from a shipment back to the country from a foreign police force when they moved to semi-autos of some make.  Only Ruger I have with an Import mark on it. ;)
-Albert Einstein

kc

Years ago I went through the Ruger factory armorer's course in New Hampshire. During the class, we built the Security Six/Service Six/Speed Six revolvers, then tried to take them "out of service" by simulating actions that would usually stop revolvers from functioning (dropping with cylinder closed & open, etc.) - things that most of us had seen over the years.
Stuff that would stop a Colt (both old & new action) or Smith didn't stop the Rugers. We were eventually throwing the revolvers hard against steel I-beams, then up toward the high ceiling (in the factory), then against the cement floor. We were only doing it to a couple of the revolvers (Service Six - fixed sights); although they were looking pretty beat up, they kept working. The instructor was sitting off to the side, watching, with a grin on his face.
I finally sheared the center-pin by slamming the revolver down on the cement floor, as hard as I could, on its right side. The instructor had it functioning again in under two minutes.
Those were the first revolvers that, in many cases, would allow "drop-in" repairs, where replacement parts could be installed with little or no fitting. Unheard of with Smith & Colt. Still today.
Tough revolvers. I wish they still made 'em, and agree that the GP series are bigger than they need to be for the caliber.

redhawk4

Ruger is looked down on by some, but they are fantastic revolvers in my opinion and experience. There's lot's of Hype about Colts and S&W, but the fact is if I could only take one revolver with me on some hazardous adventure, I know it would be my Redhawk, because it just has that feel and heft about it, that tells you it's not going to let you down.

Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Dinadan

Very nice Rugers Warty and Redhawk. I think that the Speed Six is a best looking of the three styles shown here. But those Security Sixes and the Redhawk are very nice looking too, really a hard choice to pick one.

WECSOG

I'm a Ruger revolver fan too, and have been for a long time. I've had examples of most of them. In my experience you can't beat a Security/Service/Speed Six.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"