What knives do you pair with your NAA?

Started by Wegank, October-09-17 22:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Canoeal

I showed my Buck Bantam in my pocket stuff with my BW. I do not consider them a pair. I carry a knife almost all the time, one of four or five. I carry my BW almost all the time. I do not consider them a pair. I consider them a knife (often for work) and my EDC.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

kc

Like most of you, I've carried & used many over the years, including an early model Gerber, a Benchmade and a seriously beautiful William Henry. My edc for the last couple of years is a carbon-steel Opinel #6, the smallest lock-blade they make. If you aren't familiar with them (I wasn't before a couple of years ago), check their website here
https://www.opinel-usa.com/

You won't believe the price for the standard pocket knife, and will doubt the quality until you have one. Simple, very inexpensive, a long and interesting history and will take a scary-sharp edge. Love 'em!
Having said that, I acknowledge that many need a sturdier, more tactical knife - I don't anymore, and remain impressed with the quality, price and usefulness of the #6 as a cutting tool.

Warthog

Opinels are nice blades, I often carry one myself
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Doc Holliday

I also love the Opinels!  For the price..they are great, dependable knives. They ain't fancy..but they'll do to ride the river with! I prefer the carbon steel blades, but with Opinels you just can't go wrong!
Unkei
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

Canoeal

Warty you are the first one other than myself I have seen that has a Brevette (slim).
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Do have an opinel #2 as well...

ikoiko

I have a couple of cold steel twist-locks, "carbon V" steel. Same design as opinel - with synthetic handle. Take a nice edge and hold it well. Don't think they're made anymore.

cbl51

Always good to see some Opinel love on the forums!

The stainless ones use the Sandvik 12C27. Very nice stuff.

Warthog

Quote from: Canoeal on November-07-17 21:11
Do have an opinel #2 as well...

I do but no picture as of now.  Doctors keeping me busy today, I will do my best and post it asap.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Ruger

Bought an Opinel back in the early 70's from a Bicycle Warehouse (long out of business).  I believe it was called a Breakfast knife in the catalog.   It was being sold as a light weight for the bike bag.  I bought it and carried it around for years in the bike bag; used it only a couple of times.  Then ran into them at a gun show around 2010.  Not being in the knife world, I had no idea they were a recognizable item.  Ran home, dug out the old bike bag, and found my old light weight.  Cool.  Cleaned it up a bit, put it in the safe with a couple of original old Benchmade Auto Spikes that I inherited (had no idea what they were either).  I sold the Spikes later at a gun show; they were in mint never used condition.  But I still have the Opinel.  Never use it, so I suppose it would be considered a Safe Princess.  I guess I'll have to take a picture of it and post it later.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

cbl51

Ruger, you ought to take to using that Opinel. It ain't like it's valuable knife, new they go for less money than a chain restaurant lunch for two. But I've found very few knives that cut like an Opinel. That blade is ground down to a very fine convex edge that will slice and dice like Jack The Ripper on meth. And they are insanely light weight in the pocket, easy to carry.

They can be very habit forming.  :)

Arts09

Some of you have some awesome looking knives in your collection! I pair my BW with a Buck Vantage Pro at the moment.

Canoeal

Quote from: Unkei on November-07-17 10:11
I also love the Opinels!  For the price..they are great, dependable knives. They ain't fancy..but they'll do to ride the river with! I prefer the carbon steel blades, but with Opinels you just can't go wrong!
Unkei
My brevette is a #7 in carbon steel. The #2 is the stainless variety. For a tiny knife, it holds an edge well.

kc

Good lookin' setup Arts09. And I really like those old style grips on your BW. Wish they still offered them!

askbob

New to Forum.  Black Widow with a Spyderco Endura.  Hey, I've got a theme going here!

Canoeal

Quote from: askbob on November-10-17 10:11
New to Forum.  Black Widow with a Spyderco Endura.  Hey, I've got a theme going here!
Both good choices...

mrmurl

I was going to pair mine with a Kershaw assisted open knife and also a Gerber fixed blade that I have carried on my belt for two or three years now.  It is the Bear Gryils (spelling) model but I changed the bright orange wrap for black also changed the belt loop so that it rides parallel with the belt. 

Temporary set back.  Sold my Black Widow out of the gun shop today.  Got another on order though.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

askbob

I had a Kershaw Blur assisted opener that I had complete confidence in! (okay, I loved it!), but it is lost!  I will probably replace it at my earliest convenience.

linux_author

hey folks - i may go with a lighter knife, such as my Spyderco Salt 1, but for now i carry my NAA in a Desantis with a now-discontinued A.G. Russell folding Sting (interesting knife - Darrel Ralph design, 154CM w/titanium frame, Reeve integral lock, and AFAIK one of the last runs by Camillus before the '07 bankruptcy?)

IMHO, the NAA mini is the only solution for me down here in the near Tropics for comfortable and concealed carry

willie
on the 'carry quiet, carry often'  Gulf of Mexico

bglz42

Kershaw OSO Sweet mostly. My favorite...

gebe

Quote from: Arts09 on November-08-17 15:11
Some of you have some awesome looking knives in your collection! I pair my BW with a Buck Vantage Pro at the moment.

Neat idea Arts09. Who made the holster?

WECSOG

As someone else said, I don't really "pair" a knife with a particular gun. My EDC knife is a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker like this one: http://amzn.to/2BQB5Yt

I like Opinels too, and prefer the carbon steel. I think mine is a No. 10, but can't say for sure since I don't have it at hand at the moment.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"