Anyone got Henry?

Started by cbl51, October-15-17 07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Holliday

Preparing to buy one for my wife soon. Not sure which one she'd like yet. Catalog in mail.
Unkei
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

zburkett

For what its worth I have a Henry Survival AR7 and my next rifle will be a Henry leaver.

pietro

Quote from: RogueTS1 on October-18-17 21:10
Quote from: pietro on October-18-17 11:10

Boy - Talk about thread drift/hijacking.........   :'(

The OP was asking about a Henry .22 levergun, and most folks are responding about the AR-7 and/or CF Henry leverguns.

Jes' sayin' .............................  8)

This forum is renowned for thread drift. It is what makes it so interesting. You start with something and you never know where it may lead to.

So, how 'bout them (Dallas) Cowboys ?  . ;)

:D

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

top dog

You can't go wrong with a Henry rifle. USA made and they have a superb customer service. If,in the rare case,something goes wrong,they will make it right very quickly.

Top Dog

cedarview kid

If I were buying a new Henry (and I just might be), it would be this replica of a Winchester Model 1890. I have an original 1890 in .22WRF (not .22WRM), but it would be nice to have a new one. This is a good price, too.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/henry-pump-action-octagon-barrel.html

Warthog

Well, I guess I need to dig my old pump action 22 out and show it off now. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

KnD Ken

Have a serious addiction to Henry. Have multiples,,,, long guns and mares legs. Another mares leg on the way as we type. I do need to put peep sight seen on this thread on mine. Older eyes are struggling with focusing on sites and targets at same time. Peeps might help my peepers.

VERY smooth action... and I actually prefer the tube feed. Had a 357 rossi version and it hurts fingers to force ammo in that little gate. a pain to load. The tube is amazingly better.

Your daughter will love her henry and she will love you.

I love these little mares legs. 22lr, 22mag and big brother 44 mag.

Ken Jones

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: pietro on November-05-17 19:11

The OP was asking about a Henry .22 levergun, and most folks are responding about the AR-7 and/or CF Henry leverguns.

This forum is renowned for thread drift. It is what makes it so interesting. You start with something and you never know where it may lead to.

My Craftsman 2 stroke chain saw stalls when I start cutting the smallest of branches.  Should I water the tree more?   :o

Sorry Could not resist temptation of being a smart A$$  ::)
Rick Jorgenson

harison

I have only one Henry  :) in .22 Mag  . I think the quality is top.

seak

Henry is a company where you can send the owner a e-mail and he will answer it with in a day or two. You can call a tell them you want a stock and it will be in the mail before most times before your card is charged. I love the tube feed and that's why I have them. In a bind you can just load one at a time into the chamber. The Henry and Spencer started it all and both tube fed.

franco22

My nephew has had a 22lr Henry for several years. It is his favorite plinker and the action is smooth as glass. I've been considering getting one in 22 magnum to go along with my Uberti Stallion and NAA minis.

David Culp

Quote from: pietro on November-05-17 19:11

Well, the subject line is "anyone got Henry?"

Warthog

Well, I have said and posted that I have two Henry Rifles with plans to get at least one more.  a 357 magnum Big Boy and a 327FM Big Boy, threw in my 327FM Ruger Single Seven with the 327FM Henry.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

bleak_window

I think Henry is the next great American rifle company.  They have a dedication to quality, value and customer service that is admirable.  They make a lot of rifles and guarantee each one for life.  Not the life of the buyer, the life of the rifle.  And these rifles will last a long time, especially if Henry is repairing them for free every time there's an issue.  You'd think this way lies bankruptcy, but I'll bet each act of good will sells 1.6 extra rifles.   

Warthog

Quote from: bleak_window on November-22-17 17:11
I think Henry is the next great American rifle company.  They have a dedication to quality, value and customer service that is admirable.  They make a lot of rifles and guarantee each one for life.  Not the life of the buyer, the life of the rifle.  And these rifles will last a long time, especially if Henry is repairing them for free every time there's an issue.  You'd think this way lies bankruptcy, but I'll bet each act of good will sells 1.6 extra rifles.   
Ruger also repairs their firearms for free, even the shipping.  They have been around for a while now and don't look like they are worried about bankruptcy.

I love both, wouldn't mind having more Henries but most of the lever guns I own were bought before I really knew how good they were...maybe after I sell some I will rebuy Henry rifles but then I like those I have now so maybe not.
-Albert Einstein

simmie

My son is left handed. His first gun was a .22 Henry. Smooth, accurate and nice fit and finish. For the money, it is a good purchase.

dale_az

Yesterday I picked up another Henry.  I found a "Silver Boy" 22LR to go with my "Big Boy Silver" 357.  Henry makes nice rifles.
Here are a couple pics for the people who enjoy pictures.  My new 22LR is on the bottom.

theysayimnotme

Quote from: naa_collector on November-06-17 18:11
If I were buying a new Henry (and I just might be), it would be this replica of a Winchester Model 1890. I have an original 1890 in .22WRF (not .22WRM), but it would be nice to have a new one. This is a good price, too.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/henry-pump-action-octagon-barrel.html

I have the copy made by Rossi & I am quite happy with it. The shorter barrel makes for a very nice small takedown package.

RogueTS1

Wait! Where is the loading gate?  ::) :P ;)
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

redhawk4

Quote from: RogueTS1 on February-15-18 09:02

We keep coming back to this as if a loading gate has no value, but even at the range it's so much nicer to be able to 2 or 3 rounds in through the loading gate, shoot, check the target fire again, switch to another ammo type and so on. Each to their own, but it's still the reason I will never own a Henry and for me is a serious omission. :)
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

dale_az

Quote from: RogueTS1 on February-15-18 09:02
LOL....  I know your joking. 

Everyone has different ideas and different strokes.  Some like small loop levers and some like big, I have both and either is fine with me.   
As for loading gate... I have Marlin and Winchester lever guns too.  I don't mind the loading gate at all, but I don't miss it either.  Either is just fine with me. 
I doubt I will ever get it a "fire fight" at home, but if I did I don't think my lever guns would be the first thing I grab.

redhawk4

It's much easier to keep the gun pointed in the direction it should be with a loading gate, especially if you use a shooting range.

RogueTS1

Every time I see a Henry I cannot help myself but jokingly throw the ole "Loading Gate" comment out there. Yes, it is all in fun. I do prefer a loading gate on my lever guns but those Silver Boys sure are pretty.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

dale_az

I completely understand RogueTS1, and I actually find it funny.   ;D

Like I said I have lever guns with and without loading gates.  I don't mind either.

I've been shooting .22 cal rifles (bolt, SA, lever) since way before the current Henry models.
Many of them are tube fed, so I guess it just come natural to me.  No biggie.

I even learned to accept (and like) tiny little hand guns that you have to pull the cylinder out to load!!!  :o 8)

bleak_window

Yes, those silver Henrys look fabulous. 

I have a tube-load Henry Octagon .22lr and a gate-loading Rossi 92 .357.  I like 'em both.  But frankly, if the Rossi runs dry in a gunfight, I will not be fooling around with any loading gate.  Lever down, drop a round in the top, lever up, and I'm back in battery.

redhawk4

I recently fitted a peep sight to my 1894 Marlin 44 Mag and so took it to the range to sight it in. Having recently been shooting with a tube mag 22, I really appreciated the ease of the loading gate while dialing in the sight. At the range it's not easy to load a tube mag and keep the thing pointed down range and away from others, or even your own face. As initially I was seated and using a rest, it was massively easier and more restful, to just pop a couple of rounds in through loading gate, fire, check the target and repeat- didn't have to really move from my comfortable position and have to get up and then relocate my chair etc.

If I was in a gunfight I'd rather have a loading gate than not, even if I may not need it, but then I'd rather have one of my short barrel SKS's in that scenario, but sometimes you've only got what you have with you :) If I bump into the marijuana growers in the mountains and take incoming fire, as some have, you can bet I'll be topping my mag off from my cartridge belt, having dived for cover :)

theysayimnotme

Quote from: dale_az on February-16-18 17:02
I completely understand RogueTS1, and I actually find it funny.   ;D

Like I said I have lever guns with and without loading gates.  I don't mind either.

I've been shooting .22 cal rifles (bolt, SA, lever) since way before the current Henry models.
Many of them are tube fed, so I guess it just come natural to me.  No biggie.

I even learned to accept (and like) tiny little hand guns that you have to pull the cylinder out to load!!!  :o 8)

One of the tings I never liked about the Nylon 66 was the loading method.

LHB

Remington made a clip fed version, of which I have one, and it is a jam-o-matic, due to the magazine not seating tightly in position, but wobbling around.

223fan

I have a henry 22mag lever action that is my general purpose rifle. I like it as well as my winchester 94 trapper, and that says a lot.

LHB

I have, and like my Dad's 1963 Marlin Mountie, one sweet little jewel, but no loading gate.  My grandfather had a nickel plated octagonal barreled Marlin with a tang sight, but a cousin ended up with that.

billt460

First off, you can count me in the camp of people who dislike Henry's for the lack of a loading gate on the centerfire models. Those big knurled knobs and huge loading ports look stupid. They are somewhat tolerable on the .22's, because they all have them, and they're small. All of my lever actions, be they .22 or centerfire, are either Winchester, (New Haven Models), or else J.M. manufactured Marlins. Aside from the lack of a loading gate, the other thing I dislike even more, that I haven't heard mentioned, are the cheap painted finishes many of them have. Particularly the .22's.

They chip and scratch very easily, and really look like crap when they do. Many of the centerfire models are blued, and for the price, should be. They seem to look OK if you don't mind the lack of a loading gate. From this thread, it appears many do. The other issue I have with every Henry I've ever handled and shot, are the actions are ALL very rough compared to other lever actions from Marlin, Winchester, or Browning.

If you compare ANY Henry .22 lever gun to ANY Marlin 39-A, Winchester 94-22, or Browning BL-22, the Henry has nowhere near as smooth of an action. They just don't. They're extremely rough, and gritty in comparison. And when anyone shoots a .22 lever gun, they usually shoot a lot because of the low ammo cost. So you notice it even more. And for the price Henry charges for some of their upper grade .22 lever guns, they should be equally as smooth. They're not even close.

I know Henry has a lot of fans, and sells a lot of guns. And that's all well and good to see an American firearms company be financially successful. I just think when it comes to lever guns, the other manufacturers produce far more desirable models.