A visit to the LGS is better than . . .

Started by Ruger, October-28-17 12:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger

Rainy Saturday here.  Visited Mom at the care center; couldn't wake her up, but spent a little over an hour with her.  OK, then time to spend $ at the LGS.  It was really active today with old guys and grandkids.  All good to see.  But as usual, I first walked over to the previously enjoyed firearm counter, and looked at al the same firearms that were there last time.  Moved over to the revolvers; one NAA Mini with folding grips.  Moved on down.  lots of nice Sigs, S&Ws, Rugers, and, yeah, Glocks.  ::)  talked to my LGS owner.  Moved to the 22 Ammo counter.  Scored some Hornady 30 gr. VMax 22Mag rounds.  Paid my money.  Left in the rain.  Got home, sat at the gun bench awhile, stored my new ammo. Found my way to the chair.  A rainy day is always better if you go to the LGS.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Warthog

Raining here as well, likely for the next few days.  While I didn't go to the LGS, I did call them to ask about my status and called the other one to see if my gun had come in yet, LCRx in 327FM.  Not yet for either things so I wait.  I was able to get some nice naps in though, which is always good.  I called my dad in FL to see how he is doing and my Mom, as you all know, is no longer with us.  Dad is now all alone, he hasn't been this way for a long long time.  All his siblings are dead and now, so is his wife, so I worry about him.  He does have my sister and her children around though, I think they will celebrate his birthday, which is the day after mine, 26OCT (his), so he will have a nice dinner and his immediate family nearby.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

zburkett

I would be happy to just get some rain.

kc

Thinking of my Mom & Dad.... I was 36 when my dad died, 61 when my mom died.... and I have already lived 8 years longer than my dad did. Seems strange.
I sometimes wish I could ask them again about something they told me, things they experienced, their earlier years. They were smarter & wiser than their oldest son in so many ways, and their influence continues in the lives of their children.
Miss 'em lots... & lookin' forward to what's ahead!

No rain here.... but I think dropping in at the lgs is a really good idea! :)

Ruger

KC - So share the story.  We like stories!

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

redhawk4

Quote from: zburkett on October-28-17 14:10
I would be happy to just get some rain.

I missed a bit of rain while away in the summer, I think I've seen rain 3 times since the start of June.

Ruger, it sounds like you are in that tough stage with your mother and her age, been there with my Mother, she died a couple of years back. It's a rough deal.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Ruger

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-13-17 12:12. . . . . . Ruger, it sounds like you are in that tough stage with your mother and her age, been there with my Mother, she died a couple of years back. It's a rough deal.

It has been tougher.  She had a stroke three years ago; had her in Hospice, etc.  She reconnected as the happiest person I know.  She had been so bitter previously to the stroke, but now is happy, satisfied, loves everyone, etc.; when she is awake!  ;D  Lookin' to move her now to another facility, one with a higher level of nursing care. 

The $ is running low, and Medicaid is a tough system to crack since she has been self-pay for the last 5 years.  I have given up more records and answered more questions in the last 6 months than I ever thought necessary.  We are now at the stage of questioning why she had a check deposited into her bank account from a life insurance co. four years ago.  I had to submit a copy of my dad's death certificate and insurance policy to show she was not a member of a Cartel or something.  I think it would have been easier just to declare her an undocumented person; she would have received benefits the same day I'm sure.

To Old To Run

That Medicaid for a nursing home is a nightmare.  My wife is POA for her mother and had to go through the same thing with the paper work also, it's almost a full time job you have on your hands.
All I can say is just keep on keeping on my friend, your there for your Mom and doing the right thing.

ghh3rd

Wish we had one around here (Tampa's).  We had a Gander Mountain for a couple of years but it shut down.
4 out of 5 doctors agree that playing Russian Roulette with an NAA mini is safe...

PaducahMichael

Our "NEW" Gander Outdoors had its grand opening last weekend. I call it " Gander Mountain LITE".

Not nearly as many clothes. Lots of camping, fishing, guns and ammo, kayaks everywhere, expensive ice chests. (Really, since when do you need a $300 ice chest? Doesn't hold much stuff either.)

Cases and cases full of sunglasses.

As far as guns, they had maybe 20% of what Gander stocked at their prime. Lots of scopes! Holy cow - some of those scopes and other optics cost more than my first car!  BTW - Guns and stuff are all at full MSRP. Not a bargain to be seen!

I'll probably never go back. I didn't care for Gander Mountain and I can't say much positive about Gander Outdoors.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Bigbird48

They won't last long if theres no bargains

Bj

I think they are owned by the people that own camping world and are on the left politically, not much of a match for selling guns.

WECSOG

Here's how you could predict a Gander Mountain price, at least here: find the best deal you can find for a given item, online or otherwise. Double that and you had a Gander Mountain sale price. Triple it and you had their everyday price.
Now that the GM here has closed, Cabela's and Academy are following the same pricing scheme. I went to both a couple days ago to try to find some .327 Fed ammo. Academy has apparently never heard of .327 Fed Mag, nor .32 H&R Mag. I wasn't surprised since even their website has no mention whatsoever of the round.
So I went to Cabela's since .327 Fed is at least a round they have heard of, according to their website. No dice. They did have some .32 H&R Mag ammo, though... for $40 a box! No thanks. I have some .32 H&R Mag brass around here somewhere, and maybe even some loaded ammo. And I'l just buy some .327 brass and some more .32 H&R brass online.

I did see some brass for reloading at Cabela's. For 9mm, .38 Special, .40 S&W, .223... you know, the absolutely most mainstream cartridges in the world.
I gotta admit though that Cabela's does actually stock 16 gauge ammo, including some that is quite affordable. If it weren't for that they would be completely worthless as far as I'm concerned.
Academy obviously has no idea there is any such thing as 16 gauge.
This is why I buy most things online. Even before there was "online" I bought a lot of stuff through mail order.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

LHB

In Peoria, we had a Gander that closed, where everything, except for sale items was msr.  We have a Bass Pro, which I think was higher than Gander on everything that I have looked at there, and a large locally owned store, that is good if you want to hunt waterfowl, otherwise, good luck.  The best prices for guns are found if you drive 40 miles to a Farm King or Big R store.  The selection is not as big as Bass Pro, but the prices are better,  There are several FFLs that will handle transfers for mail order guns at a reasonable fee.

Bigbird48

I live about 40 miles from Phoenix and AZ being the #1 State for Gun owners you can bet theres lots of Gun stores . So the competition is great for gun prices. Even with the 8.6% sales tax prices are decent. There are a few pricey places because we have a lot or wealthy people out here that wouldn't  be caught dead in a pawn shop or small gun store and they don't care about price.Me I look around and find the deals. :D 

PaducahMichael

We have a Rural King store here in Paducah that has a reasonably good selection in store and nicer prices than anyone else in town. You can also order from their web site (rkguns.com) and have it delivered to the store where there is no transfer fee.

Ammo prices are pretty nice too.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."