I must be getting old

Started by smokeless joe, December-09-17 09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

heyjoe

from this history it looks like no firearms were actually made in california, just the parent company was located in california but they were still made in utah.

Quote from: uncle_lee on December-10-17 04:12
Kelly Blue Book

"Current manufacturer established circa 1976, and currently located in Provo, UT. Distributor and dealer sales.
North American Arms was originally founded under the name Rocky Mountain Arms circa 1974-1975 by noted handgun entrepreneur Dick Casull. During 1976-1977, the company's name was changed to North American Arms, and it became part of the Tally Corp. of Newbury Park, CA. North American Arms was relocated from Salt Lake City to Provo, UT in 1978, and moved again in 1984 to Spanish Fork, UT. During 1986-1987, Teleflex Corp., an aerospace company, bought North American Arms' parent company, the Tally Corp. In 1992, Teleflex decided to sell off the gunmaking company, and North American Arms was purchased by Sandy Chisholm, a Teleflex employee. The company relocated again in 1994 to Provo, UT."
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

MtGoat

You aren't getting old. 
You were still on the ball enough to know that you were getting a gem and caliber was secondary, they even threw in a box of shells...that should be your story and you should stick too it. :D :D :D :D :D

Pat

smokeless joe

Quote from: MtGoat on December-10-17 08:12
You aren't getting old. 
You were still on the ball enough to know that you were getting a gem and caliber was secondary, they even threw in a box of shells...that should be your story and you should stick too it. :D :D :D :D :D

Pat
Ok Pat let's go with that 😄

grayelky

I bought my first mini, a LR, in 1976. It looked just like that. I can't remember the the stamping on it. When I had it engraved, all the original markings were removed when the sides were machined Pharrell and smooth. The black grips are almost like Bakelite. The reason they cracked was typically due to tightening the screw too much. Possibly a factor when mine cracked. I carried them for at least 5 years after they cracked. I carried that gun every day from 1976 until sometime after I bought my Wasp in 2010, including 2 or so years after it was fully engraved.

If you decide you want to upgrade it to a safety cylinder, I will join the ranks of those who would like to have it. Just let me know and I will send you a brand new LR to your LGS, and pay to ship that one back to me. Yes, if you send it in, for any reason, it will return with all new internal parts and a new cylinder. None of your current parts will work after the swap.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

RangerJim

Quote from: scbuxton on December-10-17 07:12
I can't wait until I get old like you, Joe! 8)
Yep!  Nice to know the worst that can happen is that we build our collections ... accidentally ... as a result of Alzheimer's.   ;)
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Warthog

Can't wait for Joe to forget this one and sell it to me by accident.  Will make a great addition to my collection and allow me to have one of each places the Minis have been made by NAA.  Eventually I will afford Freedom Arms too but that will likely have to wait.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

LHB

Try this: by Bubba on « on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »

NAA Products »
Tiny Revolver History

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on December-10-17 17:12
Can't wait for Joe to forget this one and sell it to me by accident.  Will make a great addition to my collection and allow me to have one of each places the Minis have been made by NAA.  Eventually I will afford Freedom Arms too but that will likely have to wait.
You mean I didn't sell it to you already? Thought I did. I must be getting old ;)

smokeless joe

Quote from: LHB on December-10-17 17:12
Try this: by Bubba on « on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »

NAA Products »
Tiny Revolver History
Is this suppose to be a link or is this what I should do a search for?

LHB

Search for, I couldn't/don't know how to put in the link.  Tried three times, and didn't work, so put in the thread.

smokeless joe

Quote from: LHB on December-10-17 18:12
Search for, I couldn't/don't know how to put in the link.  Tried three times, and didn't work, so put in the thread.
Ok I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info.

smokeless joe

Ok here's the link posted by Bubba about the history of NAA. This is the YouTube video, unfortunately the link to the off no longer works.

https://youtu.be/ZEMwAdJpVeg

Bj

boone123

I had to go dig out a couple of my Newbury minis. Both have the black grips. One is a short, all engraved, but has the writing on the left side. Ser. 1000x. In the black metal box with paper. Other is plain 22 LR in the black box. The engraved one is a beautiful gun..
I have another short that is a Newbury that I carried in my back pocket back when.  The black grips got broken and the hand spring broke. Rough. I called NAA and they said send it in. When I got it back it had been ground off but not refinished . Had to send it back on my nickle, but came back restamped  Provo and all polished and pretty, with new wood grips. They told me  that was about all the old wood grips they had left, and that the newer grip frame was a bit different.  Never carried it again, was to pretty.
On the engraved short, there were two on them just alike with consecutive serial numbers. Was at a gun show and I only had enough money for one, back then.
I have a newer 22 short I bought about 5 years ago with the plan to drill and tap the butt of the grip, and hang it on a heavy duty graduated link sterling silver watch chain I bought out of England years ago, but just don't git it done.

RangerJim

Quote from: boone123 on December-10-17 21:12
I had to go dig out a couple of my Newbury minis. Both have the black grips. One is a short, all engraved, but has the writing on the left side. Ser. 1000x. In the black metal box with paper. Other is plain 22 LR in the black box. The engraved one is a beautiful gun..
I have another short that is a Newbury that I carried in my back pocket back when.  The black grips got broken and the hand spring broke. Rough. I called NAA and they said send it in. When I got it back it had been ground off but not refinished . Had to send it back on my nickle, but came back restamped  Provo and all polished and pretty, with new wood grips. They told me  that was about all the old wood grips they had left, and that the newer grip frame was a bit different.  Never carried it again, was to pretty.
On the engraved short, there were two on them just alike with consecutive serial numbers. Was at a gun show and I only had enough money for one, back then.
I have a newer 22 short I bought about 5 years ago with the plan to drill and tap the butt of the grip, and hang it on a heavy duty graduated link sterling silver watch chain I bought out of England years ago, but just don't git it done.
Oh, now you just have to share some pictures, Boone!  Please?!!  🙏🙂

smokeless joe

Update. The original plastic grips had some cracks as we all know they are prone to get. I glued them back together but have not put them back on the gun. I found a left side original plastic grip and am now on the hunt for the right side. If or when I find that the gun will go back original. In the mean time on the day I got the gun I had ordered a set of grips from the factory and with a little help from my dremel they are now on the little guy. Looking sharp. 
Here's a couple pics.

smokeless joe

Oops. Here's the grips from the factory.

Ruger

Nice pic . . sheeps wool and all.  Make the little guy look special!
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on December-16-17 16:12
Nice pic . . sheeps wool and all.  Make the little guy look special!
Yeah that's an old zipper case from one of my minis that was stolen years ago. Taken from the saddlebag on one of my bikes. Good a place as any to put the new/old mini.

WECSOG

My LR is a Spanish Fork gun, and it does have the safety notches.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

smokeless joe

Been looking for some original black plastic grips as the ones on this mini had some cracks. I had ordered some rosewood grips from NAA and they looked good on her but I'm still not satisfied. I found some small rubber grips and figured I would give them a try. They look good and more like the originals. Can't say that if I come across a set of plastic ones in good condition that I wouldn't pick them up tho. What do ya think?

Bj

Dinadan

They both look good to me. I prefer the rosewood, but that is just me. I am guessing that the rubber is easier to hold on too, which is something to consider also.

RangerJim

Yeah, I really like those rubber ones, Joe!  Do you know who makes them—or where I could get some?  I think they'd look great on a shorty.   :D

smokeless joe

Quote from: Dinadan on January-07-18 18:01
They both look good to me. I prefer the rosewood, but that is just me. I am guessing that the rubber is easier to hold on too, which is something to consider also.
Dinadan I too think the rosewood looks good but for whatever reason I want this one to be as "stock" as possible.

smokeless joe

Quote from: RangerJim on January-07-18 18:01
Yeah, I really like those rubber ones, Joe!  Do you know who makes them—or where I could get some?  I think they'd look great on a shorty.   :D
Another eBay find. Let me see if I can locate the seller and I'll get back to you Jim

smokeless joe

This was the seller Jim

RangerJim

Thanks, Joe!  I'll check out his stuff, and maybe reach out.  Much appreciated!   :)

smokeless joe

Quote from: RangerJim on January-07-18 18:01
Thanks, Joe!  I'll check out his stuff, and maybe reach out.  Much appreciated!   :)
Anytime Jim