What loads do you carry and WHY?

Started by lign, November-05-17 21:11

Previous topic - Next topic

lign

So I'm curious. What loads do you folks carry in your minis? And far more interesting: WHAT are your reasons?
I bought a new box of .22 WMR this weekend and got to wondering about everyone's reasons for why they carry what they do.

I'll go first. I have always heard that the best handgun loads for self-defense against two-legged critters (humans) is the opposite of the best loads for hunting. They say that for hunting (especially with handguns), you want heavy, hard bullets with limited expansion in order to maximize penetration and damage to vital organs. (Meat damage also being an ancillary consideration I suppose)

Due to the relatively thin chest-to-spine anatomy of humans (as compared to animals from deer-size and up), you want radically expanding, high-velocity bullets to maximize tissue damage, and limit over-penetration which both wastes energy and endangers anything beyond the perpetrator.

HOWEVER, IMHO, when you get down to tiny little .22 bullets (even magnum) the laws of diminishing returns apply. With these, we need to maximize penetration in hopes of getting in far enough to damage vital organs. Using a super light (30 grain) hollow-point with hyper velocity seems counter-productive to me. I therefore carry with CCI Maxi-Mag 40 grain FMJ bullets that have a flat tip. And I'd probably be just a tad happier with a flat-tip soft nose 40 grain if it's flat section was a bit larger to give a good compromise between tissue damage and penetration.

Just my 2 cents. What do you guys think? I'm fully aware this is over-analyzing, but it's fun to discuss  ;D
Very curious to hear any data about expansion and penetration of these little rounds, especially at the velocities achieved from our super-short mini barrels.

grayelky

First choice is Hornady Critical Defense, 45 gr bullet. A VERY close 2nd is Speer Gold Dot, 40 gr bullet. Both are designed for short barreled pistols, and have less muzzle flash than the "normal" 22 mag loads. In my limited tests, the Hornady penetrates slightly better. I suspect it's extra 5 grain weight is a factor. Both expand about the same.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Canoeal

I reverse grayelky's order; Gold Dots first in my BW then Hornadys. The Gold Dots seem to come out a little hotter and expand a little more consistently in a 2"barrel. I also use a third for the range and back-up- CCI HP+ Vs; 1300 fps out of the 2" ain't bad for a rifle round...I do seem to prefer the Hornady's in my 4"Charter where thy can pick up some extra velocity...IMHO 12" penetration is OK but out of the Charter 15" is better.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

lign

Quote from: grayelky on November-05-17 21:11
First choice is Hornady Critical Defense, 45 gr bullet. A VERY close 2nd is Speer Gold Dot, 40 gr bullet. Both are designed for short barreled pistols, and have less muzzle flash than the "normal" 22 mag loads. In my limited tests, the Hornady penetrates slightly better. I suspect it's extra 5 grain weight is a factor. Both expand about the same.
Ooooh. An even heavier bullet. 45 grains. Unfortunately a hollow point, but research reveals it is bristling with THREE patents! Penetration is similar to .380 auto. Designed for short barrels, with 1000 fps from 1.875" barrel. Quite an achievement! If I can locate a box locally, I will grab some for certain. Thanks!

Warthog

Gold Dots, at one time it would have been CCI TNT but they aren't making them after the big run yet.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Bj

Quote from: Warty62 on November-06-17 08:11
Gold Dots, at one time it would have been CCI TNT but they aren't making them after the big run yet.

Appears that Cabela's has CCI TNT 22 wmr on sale online now.

Ruger

Presently I have Gold Dots in my Sidewinder.  I have used the Hornady Critical Defense at times, but not recently.  I have been successful in ringing the steel on my range with both.  Never had to put one into any animal's chest.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

geohuson

I carry the 22HP LR in my BW,  may change when we get the heavier Ranger II. I can hit center mass at 10-15 paces, and if something happens to me, my wife can pick it up and shoot it. She is only 5'2" and does not like the 22mag kick.

Warthog

Quote from: Bj on November-06-17 08:11

Appears that Cabela's has CCI TNT 22 wmr on sale online now.

Great!  Glad they are coming back,  I will get some when I am done with all the Gold Dots I have now.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Texduk3

Gold Dots in both mini's,  as to why,  designed for short barrels
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Arts09

Hornaday Critical Defense 45 GR. FTX (very hard to find) at the moment. I've been wanting to try the Speer Gold Dot 40 GR. JHP, but haven't purchased any yet. On occasion the CCI Maxi-Mag 40 GR. JHP, mostly for practice.

bleak_window

I use Gold Dots exclusively for carry and usually for practice unless my supply is getting low. 

seak

Any of the CCI mags because they always fire in my gun and shoot best in my Ruger American 22mag rifle for fur hunting.Also have over a thousand rounds of them and mag ammo seldom comes to our little island

cbl51

For the past several years I've used the CCI Stingers or mini mags. The CCI stuff seems to have the best animist reliable priming. That and I read someplace that out of the short barrels, the CCI was the most effective.

Since moving to Texas in 2015, I've taken to carrying a second mini when walking certain areas near dusk when the snakes comet. Comping face to face with a big rattler made a believer out of me. My second mini is loaded all five chambers with CCI snake shot for any of Mr. No-shoulders I come across. My second mini is for two legged varmits.

kc

First mag round up is a CCI shot load, then a HP (or maybe a soft point, or solid) then another shot load followed by two more "bulleted" rounds. I'm a little ambivalent about which bullets - I've experimented with most of the available stuff, and I tend toward believing that nearly all work (penetrate & cause damage) some better than most good long-rifle rounds... and I'm fine with a good long-rifle round, if that's what I happen to have (given the most likely defensive use scenario - which is heavily influenced by where we live and our normal "lifestyle"). I do also prefer the noise & muzzle blast of the mag rounds should I have to use it defensively - I want everyone around to be acutely aware of what's happening! :)
If we were somewhere else and/or our lifestyle was different, I might be carrying something bigger; I did that for quite a few years and am glad to now be ok with a Black Widow in my pocket (or wherever else on my person). As is probably common, I like shooting the LR rounds for fun.
I have used the CCI magnum shot loads on copperheads & rattlesnakes a number if times, and have been very favorably impressed each time with the results.

RogueTS1

Quotemag ammo seldom comes to our little island

Seak; so just where is "our little island?"
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Bigbird48

In my EDC BW I have CCI Maxi mags TNT Reportedly have the best penetration and expansion from short barrels   

lign

Quote from: Bigbird48 on November-07-17 20:11
In my EDC BW I have CCI Maxi mags TNT Reportedly have the best penetration and expansion from short barrels
Hiya Big Bird, Good to hear from ya!

Which MAXI-MAG's do you have? I have two VERY different boxes of CCI MAXI-MAG and I imagine there are lots more. One box is " 30 grain, jacketed hollow point +V (stated to be 2200 FPS) and the other is 40 grain "TOTAL METAL JACKET" (stated to be 1875 FPS).

The Dawg House

CCI maxi mag jhp. I didn't choose this to expand out of a pug. It won't! It will deform and cavitate though. That is what I want out of a .22 bullet. Another plus is penetrating because of the lack of expansion.  Personally, I'll take the risk of over penetration with such as small bullet exiting a small gun.

lign

Quote from: The Dawg House on November-07-17 21:11
CCI maxi mag jhp. I didn't choose this to expand out of a pug. It won't! It will deform and cavitate though. That is what I want out of a .22 bullet. Another plus is penetrating because of the lack of expansion.  Personally, I'll take the risk of over penetration with such as small bullet exiting a small gun.
Agreed. Over penetration with .22 WMR from a sub-2" barrel is a non-issue. We need as much penetration as possible. I personally prefer a non-expanding bullet due to the tiny pellet size and my desire to PENETRATE in order to damage the threat's biology...

seak

Quote from: RogueTS1 on November-07-17 13:11
Quotemag ammo seldom comes to our little island

Seak; so just where is "our little island?"

Wrangell island mouth of the Stikine River Alaska. One of them dang cruse ship stops all summer,

Canoeal

Thought TNTs were a fragmenter. Gold Dots don't fragment, they just make nice petal shapes. Gold Dots use a faster burning powder with a low flash. TNTs look like a fire breathing dragon out of a two inch, so do my HP+Vs.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Quote from: lign on November-07-17 21:11

Which MAXI-MAG's do you have? I have two VERY different boxes of CCI MAXI-MAG and I imagine there are lots more. One box is " 30 grain, jacketed hollow point +V (stated to be 2200 FPS) and the other is 40 grain "TOTAL METAL JACKET" (stated to be 1875 FPS).
Actually there are 3 more; the 40 gr HP, a 30gr 'ballistic' (read plastic) tip like the Hornady 30 grain, And the 30 gr TNT all in the Maxi- Mag family...

Don73

Gold Dots seem to be the best performer for me. Out of the few brands I've tested Gold Dots give the best penetration. And as previously posted they are made specifically for short barrel guns.

Bigbird48

30 grain maxi mag TNT JHP 2200fps, These are suppose to have great penetration and expansion out of a short barrel

Quote from: lign on November-07-17 21:11

burncycle

I generally use .22 FMJ out of my Pug (15-16" penetration).  Light .22 magnum rounds have less inertia than service calibers and therefore more likely to be deflected, slowed, or otherwise upset by intermediate barriers, bone, slope of the skull, whatever is in the threat's pocket, etc, so being able to go well past the 12" minimum in bare gel gives a better margin for error IMO.

If I had to use JHP I'd go for gold dots, but would expect inconsistent expansion and variable penetration depending on what I hit, the time of year (jacket or no), that sort of thing.  These things look pretty but if we're being real here you're talking a 0.08" increase in diameter.  The odds of me missing a vital organ so narrowly that 0.08" would have turned that miss into a hit is IMO relatively low, and I'd prefer that extra bit of penetration to help ensure I hit something important enough to hopefully stop the fight faster.

The only other caliber I prefer FMJ in is .32 ACP for similar reasons.

lign

Absolutely agree completely. That's why I'm carrying Total Metal Jacket. I don't want to handicap these tiny little pellets with P.C., superfluous expansion. I want PENETRATION.
Quote from: burncycle on November-08-17 22:11
I generally use .22 FMJ out of my Pug (15-16" penetration).  Light .22 magnum rounds have less inertia than service calibers and therefore more likely to be deflected, slowed, or otherwise upset by intermediate barriers, bone, slope of the skull, whatever is in the threat's pocket, etc, so being able to go well past the 12" minimum in bare gel gives a better margin for error IMO.

If I had to use JHP I'd go for gold dots, but would expect inconsistent expansion and variable penetration depending on what I hit, the time of year (jacket or no), that sort of thing.  These things look pretty but if we're being real here you're talking a 0.08" increase in diameter.  The odds of me missing a vital organ so narrowly that 0.08" would have turned that miss into a hit is IMO relatively low, and I'd prefer that extra bit of penetration to help ensure I hit something important enough to hopefully stop the fight faster.

The only other caliber I prefer FMJ in is .32 ACP for similar reasons.

KnD Ken

Look in to Speer 22mag SB,,, made for short barrels 22mag.

They come out of my 1 and 1/8th inch barrel over 950 FPS.

They will work.

Ken Jones

franco22

I just picked up some of the Gold Dots and plan on carrying them in my Black Widow and Sidewinder. I have been using CCI products in anything 22 caliber for a while. I'll still use Maxi Mags for practice. I carry mini mags or Stingers in my Beretta Bobcat.

Canoeal

The 40gr Maxi-Mags keyholed in my BW, so I went to the HP+Vs. They don't seem to so; they have become my practice rounds and third  backup.

Gog

I like and carry the Speer Gold Dots too. Took forever to find any though so used what I could find until then. Seems they are finally available again. I just found the best price I've seen on them from Ballistic Deals. $13.93 a box. Got 5 more boxes coming.
Sure hope the Ranger II likes them!

Bigbird48

Just general info CCI Maxi Mag TNT I would expect a little more penetration from a BW 
This .22 WMR bullet from CCI is designed to almost explode, or show extreme fragmentation, when used from a rifle on small rodents or varmints. And that it does—it is simply wicked on prairie dogs. Due to the drastic reduction in velocity from the short-barreled North American Arms Pug revolver, however, this bullet performed more like a controlled expansion bullet. It expanded almost 1.5 times its original diameter and penetrated 8 inches in the block of 10 percent ordnance gelatin.
Load    Handgun    MV (fps)    PEN (inches)    EXP (inches)    RW (grains)
.22 WMR CCI 30-grain TNT    NAA PUG (1-inch barrel)    732    8.25    0.34    30

lign

Quote from: Canoeal on November-10-17 21:11
The 40gr Maxi-Mags keyholed in my BW, so I went to the HP+Vs. They don't seem to so they have become my practice rounds and third  backup.
Oh, wow. Thanks for sharing. I would not have expected that. What is your barrel length?

Canoeal

The Black widow is the 2" barrel

lign

Wow. Even more surprising. Never would have expected keyholing from the longer barrel.  :-\