Black widow sights

Started by splntrp, November-25-17 19:11

Previous topic - Next topic

splntrp

Can someone tell or show me the difference in the adjustable and non adjustable sights? I picked up a black widow to play with while my sidewinder is getting repaired. The sights on it don't look like either of the pictures on the website.

grayelky

NAA has somewhat recently changed the sights. The fixed are a little bigger than they used to be. The adjustables are, I think, a little smaller (don't stick up as high).
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

seaotter

I have read several reports of the adjustable sights coming loose, and in the past they have been too large, and thus prone to snagging. I really like the fixed sights on my BW; I had it heard that they had changed them. I hope the changes are minor, as they were about perfect (for me) as they were!

Warthog

Well, I am a fixed sight person, don't think I have a mini with adjustable sights....

Take it to the range and see how it hits, the fixed sights can be adjusted some too, a little filing or a little tap with a hammer, and they can be very accurate.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

splntrp

These are the sights that are on it. The ones on the website all have dots.

splntrp

boone123

I filed the front sight down on my Black Widow ,recrowned the barrel, and made the trigger pull better.  Not a target gun, but much improved.

Canoeal

I have pictures of my BW with the fixed sights  after I changed it over to the fixed sights. Yes, on my gun, the adjustable sights kept coming loose and never could be adjusted low enough. The adjustable sights were similar in shape, but taller due to the extra pieces to make them adjustable. The white I put on the front sight made it more visible for me. The picture of the adjustable sights is from the webpage
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

splntrp

So it looks like mine are an older version that are adjustable. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the newer model sights or leave them alone?

grayelky

I don't like the sights on your gun. They stick up way too high. I would change them. You could check with a local gunsmith if you don't want to send it back to NAA.

splntrp

I don't really care for them either, but they are better than the sights on my sidewinder. I heard back from NAA and they said it was manufactured in April of 2015 which was very close to the time that they changed the sights over to the newer styles. I'll probably leave it as is for now and see how it does. I want to send it in and get a LR cylinder at some point so I'll probably have the sights changed then, and have them go through the pistol to ensure everything is good.

Canoeal

If you get it changed I would recommend going to the lower fixed sights...JMO...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Here is a better look at mine with the fixed sights.

silverback

Like fixed better.  What a great little gun.

Uncle Fatso

I bought a new Mini Master with adjustable sights a week or so ago.  The rear sight was loose when I got it.  I tightened it down and fired 15 rounds over the ensuing week.  I noticed yesterday that the rear sight is starting to get loose again.  Anyone figured out a way to keep this from happening?  The Locktite thread locker on it didn't seem to work. Thanks.

seaotter

The best fix is to send it in and get fixed sights put on it. Since the adjustable sights aren't staying in place properly NAA might even do the work for free. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.
But if you want the adjustable sights there must be a fix for it, because others have had the same experience.

cbl51

Quote from: Canoeal on December-03-17 21:12
Here is a better look at mine with the fixed sights.

Oh my gosh, I can actually see those sights!!!!!

I can't wait to get a black widow!!

Canoeal

Yep if you noticed, I modified the front sight a little. I rounded the inside point off of the inboard edge and painted a larger square instead of the dot. The sight is very easy to pick up quickly, and it doesn't snag in a soft holster. Just my way of doing things...Al

Canoeal

The problem with the adjustable sights in IMHO not 'fixable'. It has to do with screwing them tight with only one turn of the screw in the threads on an aluminum sight. The only 'fix' is to replace them with fixed sights, you, if you have the skill, or send it in if you don't. Sorry for the bad news. I tried to do my own without full knowledge. For me it worked, but it was a bad idea. they are on and fully functional, but not so perfectly done.

autofull

i wish all the minis had pug sights on them. for me they work great.

Canoeal

Quote from: autofull on January-26-18 09:01
I would go for a BW with pug sights for sure.

.22only

I would also be a customer for a BW with pug sights!

Bj

Quote from: .22only on January-27-18 08:01
I would also be a customer for a BW with pug sights!

Can you get a BW with Pug sights by custom order from NAA?

Canoeal

I was told no... the pug sights are a smaller dovetail than the BW...

grayelky

Quote from: autofull on January-26-18 09:01
That's the best part of the Bug Out Box.

Canoeal

Yeah, but i like 22 mag and a 2" Barrel, which leaves the BW. I don't want 800 fps out of 22 mag's like the Pug. 21/2'" guns are too long for my pockets. The only improvement I would care for is the Pug sight.

Floridave

My BW shoots a little high.  (Fixed sights) I wonder if I could get a front sight from the adjustable sight set would give me what I need to then file down until it's right on.

Canoeal

I just painted that square on the front sight so it centers a little higher than the original. It is dead on now.  The old dot on the FS is near the bottom of the paint.

Texduk3

"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"