The delemma of two Rangers . . .

Started by Ruger, December-01-17 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruger

So with two Ranger IIs, do you shoot one, and keep one factory fresh (after a GOOD cleaning, of course) if they are consecutive serial numbers;
or do you keep both factory fresh, since they have consecutive serial numbers, and buy another one at the LGS later to satisfy the need for one to go bang;
or do you shoot the heck out of both to be sure they work equally well;
or . . .

I shoot one of my Sidewinders, and have kept one factory fresh (both have conv. cylinders), but they are not consecutive serial numbers.

Hate to proceed without the thoughtful guidance of the Ranger Brotherhood out there . . . . .

Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

MR_22

Good question. I never buy guns to collect. I buy them to shoot. However, I have never shot probably more than half of my guns.

So, I'm buying the Rangers to shoot. I bought my 2 original Rangers to shoot as well, but never did, and sold them when the price somebody was willing to pay was higher than the price for which I would keep them.

I bought a very nice USFA 12-shot .22 revolver that I bought to shoot for $800, but it so nice, I never dared shoot it. USFA dropped out of the SA Peacemaker clones and the prices spiked. When I got an offer for $1600, I certainly didn't dare shoot it, so I took the cash.

I'm a collector now, but I buy to shoot. So who knows what'll happen to may Ranger II's? I don't.

David Culp

I ordered two to shoot and carry daily when it's not convenient to carry something larger. Those days I'll  carry one still. I could rotate them  when I need to carry  one, but maybe I'll have one I do carry less to keep in better shape.

45flint

Reality if the Ranger 2 keeps in production the low serial number is actually pretty meaningless to value, shoot them.  I bought other early birds after several years with no premium.  Don't gauge the Ranger2 by the Ranger1.  Different animal

Warthog

I bought mine to shoot.  I plan on shooting them.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

MR_22

Quote from: 45flint on December-01-17 13:12
Reality if the Ranger 2 keeps in production the low serial number is actually pretty meaningless to value, shoot them.

Yes, that's probably true. Serial numbers really only matter to us collectors, and in a production model, it's just a "cool thing" to have and doesn't necessarily increase resale value. It's all about what somebody is willing to pay, though.

redhawk4

Quote from: Warty62 on December-01-17 13:12
I bought mine to shoot.  I plan on shooting them.

I only bought one, but like you I bought it to carry and shoot, not to stress myself over it's value or round count etc. It was a shame the values went up on the original ones IMO. I was happy with doing the same with that until they started selling for $1,500-$2,000 then it created a dilemma.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

RangerJim

Well, I bought my two RANGER IIs with the intention NOT to shoot--and with the further intention to buy two more with custom serial #s to carry and shoot.
But then I thought, why would I want to shoot a custom serial # RANGER II ... ?
So, maybe I should just get another one straight from my LGS to carry and shoot ... 
But that seems like a long time to wait ... and somewhat obsessive. 
So, bottom line ... I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna do yet.

I'm sure that's all very helpful to you, Ruger ...  So, you're welcome!  ;D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

heyjoe

who knows if you are going to get consecutive serial numbers even if you bought two
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

MtGoat

Quote from: heyjoe on December-01-17 15:12
who knows if you are going to get consecutive serial numbers even if you bought two

That will drive the decision whether to shoot one or get a third to shoot.

I may wait and see what the production run will look like.

I ordered a third from Bud's but just got my $ back today.
I couldn't convince them to leave me on the list for when they get the first of their batch in.  :-[

Pat

Dinadan

I would shoot and enjoy. But I do not buy guns for investment purposes. There is no guarantee than I am even going to wake up tomorrow: I want to have fun now! And unless you make sure to sell your guns before you kick off: do you really think that your heirs will even know which ones were shot and which ones not?

bbgun

I agree with Dinadan.  I love shootin' them.  I have had several NAAs fail right out of the box.  They fixed them pronto.   But if you are going to carry them make sure they work.

Uncle_Lee

I had to stop for a minute and think about this.
I have NAA minis that are revolvers that I carry and shoot.

I have NAA minis (and Guardians) that I collect. Deep inside I don't think of my collection as guns, they are pretty's that I collect.
Like stamps, Barbie Dolls, or 1976 quarters.

These Ranger II's will go along side the other Rangers in the shoebox.

I do have a pair of NAA Shorts that I bought in 1976. I carried and shot one of those.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Ruger

All good advice, but I still face the dilemma, and I know it won't be solved until a few days after I receive them.  I'll let you know.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

Doc Holliday

I'm gonna shoot mine! I have no safe queens! Heck...I have no safe! Don't use shoeboxes though like uncle_Lee..,with size 13 feet, I wear the darn shoeboxes! LOL!
Doc Holliday

All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

smokeless joe

I plan to shoot and carry mine. It may replace my Pug as my edc. Depending on how much I like it I may buy a regular production model and "retire" the eb serial number. Time will tell.

grayelky

The one thing no one has mentioned is the "EB" serial number. In my humble opinion, it may add some interest, should it be sold in the future. There will only be roughly 250 EBIIxxxx guns. There will likely be many thousands of production Ranger II made. It is one or 2 of those that I will shoot.

I do not collect solely with an eye to future value, rather I collect for my pleasure, and hope the collection builds value in the future. If not, well, maybe the boys and grandson will enjoy shooting them, if that is what they want to do. Like unckle_lee, I am now getting pairs of what ever I buy, mostly. I have 2 sons, and both appreciate and understand my whole gun collection, not just the minis. Like others have stated, when I'm done, it will be up to them and my wife to determine what to do with ALL of my possessions. Well, that and my will.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

MtGoat

Quote from: grayelky on December-03-17 08:12
The one thing no one has mentioned is the "EB" serial number. In my humble opinion, it may add some interest, should it be sold in the future. There will only be roughly 250 EBIIxxxx guns. There will likely be many thousands of production Ranger II made. It is one or 2 of those that I will shoot.

I do not collect solely with an eye to future value, rather I collect for my pleasure, and hope the collection builds value in the future. If not, well, maybe the boys and grandson will enjoy shooting them, if that is what they want to do. Like unckle_lee, I am now getting pairs of what ever I buy, mostly. I have 2 sons, and both appreciate and understand my whole gun collection, not just the minis. Like others have stated, when I'm done, it will be up to them and my wife to determine what to do with ALL of my possessions. Well, that and my will.

My other question is will the standard run have a different finish?
Will the barrel assembly be bead blasted where the EB's appear to be polished.

That is one of my peeves with the Sidewinder.
It would look much nicer, in my honest opinion, if it were all polished to the same level of finish rather than bead blast the barrel.

Has any asked if NAA custom shop offers a polished version of the Sidewinder?

Pat

Canoeal

Ahhh! "To shoot or not to shoot that is the question..."
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Uncle_Lee

I am thinking about buying one extra to shoot and carry.
But on the other hand I am happy carrying the Black Widows and the Pug. I don't think there are any better. May be as good but not better.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Warthog

I might get another when the longer barrels come out but the Ranger II is going to be carried and shot.

I do love my Black Widow so that is what I currently carry most often.  I love the way it looks too, the barrel makes me feel most like it is a larger revolver which was what I had been carrying before my hands got so crispy.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

autofull

i shall shoot mine, im too old to collect and have sold off the pristine unfired one i bought in the last 40yrs and i made a fistfull of cash on them. now, i just shoot whats left of the herd. thats my two,  kevin.

Sweet Shot Sue

Sweet!  Mine supposedly arrived at the FFL on Friday and I hope to pick it up this week. Christmas comes early!   :D

RangerJim

Quote from: grayelky on December-03-17 08:12

I agree, Gray.  I also collect solely for pleasure, but certainly like the idea of my collection potentially increasing in value over time.  I think the EB Serial # will convey some incremental value--which is why I won't shoot them, and will probably purchase another one or two to shoot and carry.  There will never be another Ranger II Early Bird again--and only 250 EB #s--and that makes it pretty cool ... if to nobody else, then at least to those of us on this board.

So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

smokeless joe

Quote from: RangerJim on December-03-17 18:12
I agree, Gray.  I also collect solely for pleasure, but certainly like the idea of my collection potentially increasing in value over time.  I think the EB Serial # will convey some incremental value--which is why I won't shoot them, and will probably purchase another one or two to shoot and carry.  There will never be another Ranger II Early Bird again--and only 250 EB #s--and that makes it pretty cool ... if to nobody else, then at least to those of us on this board.
What you said ^

45flint

I have a EB Earl if anyone wants to give me a premium for it?  I think in several years after the initial excitements dies down and the Ranger 2 in three barrel lengths is at your local gun store for sale the premium for a EB will be pretty small, and it will mean something to a very small group.

rooftopkorean

I just wanted to have the gun early and the serial numbers are worth more in sentimental value than monetary imo.

I am picking up another Ranger as soon as they hit the market too, and different barrel lengths.