Ranger Trivia

Started by 45flint, December-06-17 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

45flint

Besides the latch and the cylinder release, what is another difference from the Ranger 1 to the Ranger 2?

RangerJim

So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

RangerJim

Also ... according to one report (by Grayelky, I think), the new Ranger is lighter by a few tenths of an ounce.

45flint

Could be true but no cigar!

Warthog

I have a cigar.  But don't know what the difference might be. 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

45flint

It's funny no one has noticed.  Grayelky even seemed to miss it. 

seak

Ejector/ extractor

45flint

Quote from: seak on December-06-17 12:12
Ejector/ extractor

Both have these?  Hint nothing to do with function. Don't over think it.

RangerJim

Quote from: 45flint on December-06-17 11:12

Oh, you're looking for something specific?  I was just naming some actual differences.

Ok, I guess there are more ...  Hmmmmmm ...

45flint

Quote from: RangerJim on December-06-17 12:12
Quote from: 45flint on December-06-17 11:12

Oh, you're looking for something specific?  I was just naming some actual differences.

Ok, I guess there are more ...  Hmmmmmm ...

Yours are correct but I noticed one yesterday after reading Grayelky post of his gun.

RangerJim

Shorter barrel length?   ???

RangerJim

I believe my original Rangers are 1 5/8 inches--and Gray said his is 1 1/2 ...   ;)

45flint

Yep 1/8 inch shorter barrel.  Never could figure out why they made the Ranger 1, 1 and 5/8 inches? 
Actually I looked and the standard magnum is 1 5/8.   Is there another 1 1/2?

Chacha77

I think the 1/8th inch was a cosmetic thing to give just a little more balance to the look of the gun

RangerJim

Hey!  I guess I truly earned my moniker--RangerJim!  Thanks, Flint!  That was fun!   ;D

45flint

Sidewinder is 1.5.  Must be the new normal?

redhawk4

Quote from: Chacha77 on December-06-17 14:12
I think the 1/8th inch was a cosmetic thing to give just a little more balance to the look of the gun

The extra 1/8" of barrel length increased the muzzle velocity so it could be used for defense against grizzly bears :)
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

45flint

Quote from: redhawk4 on December-06-17 15:12
Quote from: Chacha77 on December-06-17 14:12

The extra 1/8" of barrel length increased the muzzle velocity so it could be used for defense against grizzly bears :)

I agree lol. Reason they cost so much in the after market.

tocsn40

There was a botten to Bush to relase the cylinder on the 1 and they use the top strap to realise the cylnder on the 2
Tocsn40

cedarview kid

Grizzly bears or gummy bears?  :o

tocsn40

Quote from: naa_collector on December-06-17 18:12

Grizzly bears or gummy bears?  :o
gummy
Tocsn40

redhawk4

No good on Gummy Bears they usually come in packs of at least 20, despite the increased muzzle velocity 5 rounds just isn't going to be enough :)

The Ranger name was derived as a shorter version of the Bear Re-arranger the bullets hid so hard and mangled the corpses so that they looked really grizzly :) - that 1/8th of an inch barrel length really made that much difference. If you shoot one with the Ranger II it's going to get really angry if it actually notices.

Bigbird48

I think the Ranger II is 1-5/8 inch pretty sure.
Sidewinder is 1.5

grayelky

I saw this post this morning, and was going to offer some thoughts, then got busy. This is the next time I have had to look at it. Yes, I did notice the barrel length, and a number of other things, but was doing the write up at work, wanting to get some info out for you folks. The BT ejector would go out so far, then snap back down. The R2 will get pushed out, and will stay out until the frame is closed again. Must be simpler to do this way, and will still get out the empties. I like bead sight on the R2 over the BT's blade, like the standard mini. There are more, but without a BT to put next to the R2, very few would ever know it.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

45flint

Quote from: grayelky on December-06-17 22:12
I saw this post this morning, and was going to offer some thoughts, then got busy. This is the next time I have had to look at it. Yes, I did notice the barrel length, and a number of other things, but was doing the write up at work, wanting to get some info out for you folks. The BT ejector would go out so far, then snap back down. The R2 will get pushed out, and will stay out until the frame is closed again. Must be simpler to do this way, and will still get out the empties. I like bead sight on the R2 over the BT's blade, like the standard mini. There are more, but without a BT to put next to the R2, very few would ever know it.

When your retired you live for this sort of trivia, nothing is too small. Setting up gummy bears at the local range to test penetration today. UTube to follow!  ::)

Ruger

I like to use "DOTS".  They were the gummy bears of my youth; a little stiffer, but seem to replicate kritter flesh a little better.  Please make a comparison in your video.  thanks.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

45flint

Be real which would you rather shoot?  Gummy bears let you tests head shots, body shots?  Dots have a sugar coating which doesn't proper replicate flesh? I'm not wasting valuable range time on such useless trivia.

MR_22

Are we the Kinds of Thread Drift or what??? :D :D :D

redhawk4

Quote from: MR_22 on December-07-17 11:12
Are we the Kinds of Thread Drift or what??? :D :D :D

What? should that be "Kids"?  at least until now I could understand where we were drifting too :) :)

How deep does a 22 penetrate in Gummy Bear gel? or Dots for that matter if it's firmer? :)

MR_22

Haha, yeah, kids fits better.

How 'bout we get some of these for a shooting session? That would be fun. :)

45flint

It's only drift when the OP doesn't gummy bear?

grayelky

Maybe I could hit the green one. or maybe the red...
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"