What do you carry and why?

Started by zburkett, December-09-17 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

grayelky

Rogue-
How is the recoil on the 450Ti with defensive rounds? Do you know the approzimate weight of it?
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

RogueTS1

Gray; I have never personally weighed it but it is listed at 23 oz. It is very, very light. On my belt I often have to check the holster to make sure I have sheathed the gun when first arming up because I cannot feel it on my belt while in the holster.  ;D

Recoil is nothing. I expected it to have some kick ........................ nothing in my opinion. I have felt .38 specials with more recoil. The Princess states it has too much "kick" for her taste but she hates all revolvers.  ::) Full powered loads; 200 gr Hornady XTP's over ? (I cannot remember off the top of my head) gr of Unique.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

RevCov

I'm "in between" minis right now so it's my Smith 442 as my "always" gun.

Canoeal

No carry ,until my BW gets back...Hand not moving the cylinder...I think from the diagram, the hand spring must be broken...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

It would not have helped at Mandalay Bay...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

cbl51

Quote from: Canoeal on December-29-17 12:12

The only thing that would have helped at Mandalay Bay would've been a spotter and a sniper rifle, once you figured out where the rounds were going from.

Too often people get the CCW confused with other things. The personal defense weapon is for those times on a dark parking lot, or getting gas in your car and a couple low life's are coming your way asking "Hey man, ya got a..." while they get close enough to pull that knife or gun in their hoodie and rob you. Or you're just trying to take a nice peaceful pee and some over-the-border types try to car jack you in a rest room.

Incoming rounds from a serious military grade rifle from a long way off is another animal. Even a Glock 17 and a half a dozen spare mags ain't gonna do much good, except maybe get you killed by mistake, when some cop thinks you're the shooter or a second shooter. If in a mass shooting, drop immediately, crawl to some kind of cover like bandstand, trash dumpster, big amplifier, stack of folding chairs, and take a moment to assess the situation. Avoid running for choke points like exits that are kill zones waiting to happen. Don't be a lemming.

Bigbird48

Good advice CB :) I could never figure out why people run.I guess its a natural instinct to run, but like you said drop flat on the ground and if theres some cover near by crawl for it.

Jobrando

Smith 340 w crimson trace green laser
Coat pocket in winter
I don't carry curios

RangerJim

Well said, cbl ...  it's incredibly tough (maybe near-impossible) to keep your head in that type of situation--and God forbid any of us ever face anything like it.  But if you have any wits at all in a crisis like that ... do just what you said.  Don't be a fish in a barrel.  Don't be a lemming.
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Canoeal

Quote from: cbl51 on December-29-17 13:12

The only thing that would have helped at Mandalay Bay would've been a spotter and a sniper rifle, once you figured out where the rounds were going from.

Too often people get the CCW confused with other things. The personal defense weapon is for those times on a dark parking lot, or getting gas in your car and a couple low life's are coming your way asking "Hey man, ya got a..." while they get close enough to pull that knife or gun in their hoodie and rob you. Or you're just trying to take a nice peaceful pee and some over-the-border types try to car jack you in a rest room.

Incoming rounds from a serious military grade rifle from a long way off is another animal. Even a Glock 17 and a half a dozen spare mags ain't gonna do much good, except maybe get you killed by mistake, when some cop thinks you're the shooter or a second shooter. If in a mass shooting, drop immediately, crawl to some kind of cover like bandstand, trash dumpster, big amplifier, stack of folding chairs, and take a moment to assess the situation. Avoid running for choke points like exits that are kill zones waiting to happen. Don't be a lemming.

Agreed 100%

Doc Holliday

I always carry my BW in a Bob Mernickle Cross draw Leather Holster and always carried my Pug in my right hand vest pocket. Now, because I was one of the lucky ones that received my Ranger II in one of the first batches sent out...it has been the revolver of choice for the vest pocket carry. Hang in there guys and gals, it is worth the wait for the new Ranger II! And...just remember...you can never have too many NAA Revolvers. Your collection will grow! Now I'm not in the same class as many of our forum members as my small collection consists of only 5, but with my original Mini, my Pug, my BW, my Sidewinder and now my Ranger II.....I am a happy man! I have 26 handguns, in calibers from 22 lr to 45 Colt and 45 acp...but most always it is the NAA Revolvers that I carry on a daily basis! NAA Rocks!
Doc Holliday
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

top dog

Rogue,
Gosh!!! That is super nice set up you have for that Colt!!!!

I am so glad to see that so many folks pack heat!!!

I don't care what you carry as everybody has their favorite(s) but I am glad that you caryy.

Every once in a while a bad guy/clown decides to do something wrong and the "victim" is packing heat. Pretty much ends the subject right there!!!!!!

Top Dog

Rick_Jorgenson

Or you're just trying to take a nice peaceful pee and some over-the-border types try to car jack you in a rest room.

Canadians?  They always seem so polite.
Rick Jorgenson

Uncle Fatso

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on December-30-17 07:12

Or you're just trying to take a nice peaceful pee and some over-the-border types try to car jack you in a rest room.

Canadians?  They always seem so polite.

Precisely the reason they are so dangerous.

😜

bleak_window

BW or alloy S&W J-frame.  The J-frame is only 2-3 oz heavier than the BW.  DAO and holds 7 rounds.  Alloy frame, cylinder and even alloy grips. 

cbl51

Quote from: bleak_window on December-30-17 11:12
BW or alloy S&W J-frame.  The J-frame is only 2-3 oz heavier than the BW.  DAO and holds 7 rounds.  Alloy frame, cylinder and even alloy grips. 

Those are really rally nice guns!!!

But I can't see why S&W can't make two cylinders for it like a black widow or mini master. If North American can, it can be done.

gfb46

When I get my Sheriff back from the gunsmith that is what I will carry every where.  On occasions when I have to visit the New Orleans area or the city of Gulfport, MS I will have the Sheriff and my Taurus .38 Special UL

Warthog

Winter I carry this most of the time: EAA 357 Magnum.  Otherwise I carry my Shield in either 9mm or 40 S&W.  I wound up owning both of them, bought the 40 first because I wanted to have a gun in the same caliber as my local Police, State, County and Municipal all carry 40's.  Next I looked into which ammo they used, HydraShok (can't remember the bullet weight, sorry) so I bought some and loaded it up.  Later I got the 9mm and it is also loaded with 124 gr HydraShoks, which is what the areawide police use in theirs.  Some carry 40's and some, mostly the female officers, carry 9mms.  (not trying to be sexist, just how it is around me).

The Shield or Revolver is carried in a Smart Carry holster, behind the bib of my overalls.  Easy draw from standing or sitting.

I also carry one of my NAAs as a BUG, usually my BW in a pocket holster, usually in my coat's hand pocket.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

top dog

Warty62,
That is a very good idea to pack the ammo that the police use. If it comes down to a SD incident,you are pretty much covered by using the ammo that the LE folks carry.

There is much talk about the ammo used in SD shootings,especially handloads,that can come back to hurt you in court.

But 40 years as an LEO,I have not heard of it being used in court,but that is not saying that it could be.

Top Dog

Warthog

Top Dog, it is a good idea and one I thought of when I first started to carry.  On another forum, people would talk about this ammo and that ammo and how effective it was, but when I told them how I selected my ammo they all laughed.  Until a lawyer who also used the forum chimed in and said how this was a good idea and how no Prosecutor could stand n front of a jury saying how I used a special man killing ammo that was made specifically to kill a person. 8)

Oh they still talk about the most effective ammo there but I stay out of it now and stick with what I use because it is what the area LEOs use.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

WECSOG

My most commonly carried non-NAA is a Ruger LCR .357 Magnum. I got the .357 version not so much because it is a .357, but because it has a stainless steel frame vs. aluminum for the .38 version.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Floridave

Mostly Black Widow, in pocket or neck holster depending on what I'm doing.  Also experimenting with the holster grip

top dog

That Black Widow is a very nice piece.  I carry mine in a pocket holster in my coat's outer pocket.

Right now it is colder than cold here,no sense in carrying a piece IWB under layers of material.

Top Dog

Paneraiguy

usually this guy.