Broken Black Widow mainspring

Started by Floridave, December-10-17 09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Floridave

Kind of bummed to have thttps://flic.kr/p/211FzvRhis happen on my less than a year old Black Widow with only about a hundred rounds through it.

What's best course of action?  Will NAA send me a new spring?  Should i order spares to have on hand? Common occurrence?

https://flic.kr/p/211FzvR

TheGunSmith

Yes, simply call into the factory 1-800-821-5783 and talk to customer service. Tell them you need a new mainspring and they will send you one out under warranty.

Dustin H.

cbl51

Wow, never seen that before. Bu then I'm the only person I know with a mini's that doesn't mean much. But I've shot my mini a fair amount over the thirty plus years I've been carrying, and it's never broke anything before.

Boisesteve

Hey Floridave,
Replacing the mainspring on a magnum frame is pretty easy to do.  There's plenty of room in there, and it can be done (I've done it) with just a hefty needle nose pliers. You may have to do some mumbling under your breath and it helps to have your tongue sticking out the right side of your mouth... at least it did for me. But it's easy enough to replace it yourself.  MUCH easier on the magnum frame than on the mini, much more room to work with in there. It's the same size spring used for both models. 
I had light primer strikes with my 1 5/8" magnum frame I'd bought used.  Ordered and installed a new spring, problem solved.  Then did the same spring replacement on my LR frame mini just because it's 30 years old, and found it much more difficult to do because of there being less room in the frame for me to work with, but succeeded with perseverance. It's a repair that you don't have to be a gunsmith to do. Good luck,
Boisesteve

seak

I always keep a couple extra and even carry a spare in my ammo pouch. Easy to change.

Floridave

Thanks all. I've been away the last few days, will give them a call tomorrow

Canoeal

I think the hand spring in mine broke. Shipped back today.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

Looks like I get my BW back from NAA tomorrow. I wonder what they had to do to it...I am sure it will be fine now.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

RangerJim

Great to hear, Al!  Let us know how it shoots when you get the chance.  Good luck!   :D
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Floridave

I never did follow up here, but NAA did send me a replacement spring, no problem getting it installed.   May be my imagination but I believe it's stronger than the original

Canoeal

Until the foot heals I won't be getting to the range. I am not allowed to drive in the boot. :(

Canoeal

My BW is back! They replaced the hand, the hand spring and the main spring, And cleaned it up, pretty Nice. Thank you NAA!

Uncle_Lee

This thread is the perfect example of why I carry more than one handgun.

I don't care who made it or how much it cost.......

One day it WILL fail you. One thing or another, it WILL fail to go bang.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Warthog

I am glad you got your BW fixed up Cononeal.  NAA Customer Service is outstanding.

Just let your foot get better before you try to go shooting or anything else that might make it worse.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Canoeal

Yeah, it was a week before Thanksgiving it broke, and I still don't know when I get out of the boot.

Canoeal

Next visit is feb 12th in it until then for sure...

riadat

Quote from: uncle_lee on January-06-18 06:01

Same here.  NAA magnum and Smith revolver. 

cbl51

Quote from: uncle_lee on January-06-18 06:01

Good reason to do two things;

1. Always carry two mini's. This is why Wrangler's has more than one pocket.

2. Use your mini and fire a few cylinders through it often. Maybe every week or two. This will increase the odds of a failure on the range vs on the street. Or in the alley.  ;D

Floridave

Just in case my No. 1 go-to Black Widow fails...

Canoeal

Does a jet pack come with that?