OK, please post a picture of both Rangers for comparison.

Started by Warthog, December-13-17 17:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Warthog

I guess I must be the only person who would like to see a picture of the new and old Ranger, side by side, I guess I really would like a few pix so that they can be compared, side by side, from various angles, open and closed because I was not able to get one of the first ones, was too poor.  I am very happy to be able to get the new Ranger II but I do want to get a better look at what I missed out on back then.  Had I been able to get the older model, you can bet I would show them side by side as a comparison.

Please, I know some of use have yet to get the new one and some of the people who are waiting are also those who eventually have both.  I think there are a couple folks who have both who could do this for us/me.  So again, Please, please do this so they can be compared for those who missed out on the first one. :)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Uncle Fatso

redhawk4

I'm with you Warty, but those who can supply what we want are few and far between.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

RangerJim

Absolutely, Warty.  I have the original Ranger ... but I'm still in the "waiting" boat for the new ...  I'll definitely post side-by-sides when I get mine!  [unless it's already been done-to-death by that point ... it could be Springtime, after all ... ]   ;)
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Warthog

Cool beans Jim, I can wait if I must but I thought if I posted this thread someone might get it done before we get ours.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

I think currently Grayelky is the only one with both on the forum? maybe one other.

So far from the pictures I've seen, I actually prefer the Ranger II to the original.

Warthog

I prefer the one I can still own, never got a chance on the old one.  It came out after the Earl and a whole bunch of other new Minis and I was completely tapped out. :'(

When I can see the differences, I may well agree Redhawk.  Sort of why I want to see them both SxS. ;)
-Albert Einstein

45flint

A Utube oomparison would be nice.  Opening closing etc.  If I had gotten a Ranger 2 I would be doing but only here with Ranger 1.  What's fasinating to me is the difference I see in the rings on the joint, ratchet? Look very different?

Warthog

I will accept a YouTube video too.  As long as it gets in close to show the differences. 8)
-Albert Einstein

David Culp

You may have already seen these but here they are again. This was a post  on Facebook as i Don't have any rangers yet

RangerJim

Hey, David:
Thanks for re-posting!  I already see a couple of additional differences between the two--besides all the obvious things covered in previous posts.

- First:  There is a knurled button just above the hinge on the original Ranger (bottom right picture), that doesn't exist on the Ranger II.
- Second: The trigger on the new Ranger seems more protruded at rest than the original Ranger.

I'm sure there are other things--again, beyond the obvious (sights, barrel length, cylinder release, etc.)--but this was what I saw upon cursory review.

Happy hunting!   :D

RangerJim

Oh, and the Eagle logo is in a slightly different place on the frame, but that's simply because of the new cylinder latch.  There are also slightly different beveled edges on the top strap, but they're not too significantly different from the original.

45flint

Need a pic from the bottom showing joint, they look to be very different?

Warthog

Yeah, need better pix from all sorts of angles and with them open and closed please.

Really BIG pix too.  My eyes aren't s good as some of yours. 8)
-Albert Einstein

grayelky

Quote from: RangerJim on December-13-17 21:12
Hey, David:
Thanks for re-posting!  I already see a couple of additional differences between the two--besides all the obvious things covers in previous posts.

- First:  There is a knurled button just above the hinge on the original Ranger (bottom right picture), that doesn't exist on the Ranger II.
- Second: The trigger on the new Ranger seems more protruded at rest than the original Ranger.

I'm sure there are other things--again, beyond the obvious (sights, barrel length, cylinder release, etc.)--but this was what I saw upon cursory review.

Happy hunting!   :D
That is the end of a lever. Push down on it and it will release the cylinder to be pulled straight out.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

grayelky

Here are a couple. Notice the difference of quality in the Eagle's head in the logo.

Warthog

-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

I'm still going by the pictures, but I'm still favoring the looks of the new model over the old. The cylinder latch is much more attractive to me and I like the front sight more.

RogueTS1

Me too Redhawk. I like the looks of the new Ranger better.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

grayelky

I like the looks of the old one, as it is a miniature copy of the S&W. The new one is easier to use and has a better sight picture. I may actually end up with one to carry and a 2 1/2" combo to shoot, a lot.

RangerJim

I think the new one is a beauty ... but still (at least for now) prefer the original Ranger.  It is just so intricate, and the mechanism so finely crafted and complicated--like a Swiss watch.

RangerJim

Quote from: grayelky on December-14-17 11:12
I like the looks of the old one, as it is a miniature copy of the S&W.
Oh ... and what Gray said ...

Don73

Really like the new Ranger II, but both are nice. Put some engraved boot grips on the Ranger II and I will be a Happy Man.

45flint

Quote from: RangerJim on December-14-17 11:12

So true that SW is a classic, and the Ranger 1 carries that tradition so well.  The Ranger 2 is a copy of the Schofield which is very cool also but that mechanism was never used is the small classic turn of the century carry pieces.  But the Schofield is so cool, it has its own vibe. And I kind of like that vibe with a longer barrel?

MtGoat

Here the BT is opened to where the extractor is just starting to add pressure to raise.

MtGoat

Here it is fully open with the extractor fully raised.
There is a fair amount of spring pressure to return the gun back to the photo above.

MtGoat

And here are a Ranger  and a Ranger II side by side.

redhawk4

Quote from: 45flint on December-14-17 12:12
Quote from: RangerJim on December-14-17 11:12

So true that SW is a classic, and the Ranger 1 carries that tradition so well.  The Ranger 2 is a copy of the Schofield which is very cool also but that mechanism was never used is the small classic turn of the century carry pieces.  But the Schofield is so cool, it has its own vibe. And I kind of like that vibe with a longer barrel?

I have a S&W, but like the Schofield more, but don't have one yet, so perhaps that explains why I'm more drawn to the Ranger II.

Warthog

Thank you Pat.  I look forward to my Ranger II.
-Albert Einstein

RangerJim

MtGoat

All due to 38sp letting us know that some BT's were available at one of his local gun shops!!!!!

Pat

LHB

The Schofield was a S&W also, but it was a combat design, to reload one handed on a horse, while what you are calling the "classic" S&W was not a combat gun, and takes two hands to open. The Ranger II doesn't have the thumb latch of the Schofield, but it is a "classic S&W design".