Because you just never know!

Started by seaotter, December-24-17 12:12

Previous topic - Next topic

seaotter

Sometimes my friends and relatives ask me why I would want to carry a firearm. After all, I don't live in a major city like Chicago, Baltimore, or Detroit. I live near Harrisburg, PA, a relatively small city (pop>50,000). We have a relatively low crime rate, and terrorists have never heard of the place. At least that's what people kept on telling me. But this week all that changed. A homegrown terrorist drove through the center of town shooting at police officers. According to most accounts, there were three different areas where there were shots fired. Fortunately only the terrorist was kiled. This attack was unusual as just the police were targeted. He could have done what most terrorists do: choose a "soft" target where people can't defend themselves, such as a mall or restaurant. So that's why I carry my Black Widow and LR mini (or my Guardian 380) almost everywhere. Because you just never know!

smokeless joe

I have had my cc permit since 1994 and in all that time I have never felt that I was in a situation that might require me to draw my firearm. Doesn't mean I will ever stop carrying tho. I will have it when I need it which is hopefully never. But ya just never know.

seaotter

I live out in a rural county, and I have drawn my pistol twice, but only against hungry and overly inquisitive  four legged critters. In both cases a round shot into the dirt nearby was enough to convince them to look elsewhere for dinner. The minis are incredibly loud! The critters involved learned to have a healthy fear of humans, and I didn't get chewed on, so I figure it was a win-win situation for all involved! I truly hope that I never have to draw on a human. The consequences for all involved would b serious. But, as you stated, if it becomes absolutely necessary, then at least I am prepared.

Texduk3

We live north of Houston and have had handguns/long guns,shotguns,  for "home defense" for years.
The hurricanes of the past  10 years,( katrina)
and sancuary city  status, ( southern border)
has changed the population in H-town.
and its creeping north into the burbs.
(The Long Island,  n.y. we left in 1990,  is now  filled w ms-13)
So,  went for carry permit early 2016, My son and I have taken  2 defense pistol courses.
...I am still the Boy Scout.......be prepared........and live by it.   ;)
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

Canoeal

I live a piece east of Seaotter, and in an suburban area, that the local towns are known for drug related crime. I do not live in one of those but towns, but sort of in the middle of a triangle, on a major road. I know a lot of semi-local stories (like about six weeks ago there was a guy walking up a main road less than a mile from the house with a saw off SG and a backpack of drugs... he was caught because one of the locals called it in), but never involved, or seen the actual crimes. That does not mean I am not staying fully vigilant and carry ED. If you wait for something to happen and it happens to you,it is too late to get prepared.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Bigbird48

I live in a very small town population about 5000 and just last Thursday the gas station was robbed at gun point..When I went to the dump Saturday the dump guy had a semi 45 on his belt which he's never had before. He said he was not going to be a victim. We pay cash to drop off garbage so I said what they gonna get 50 60 bucks and he laughed at me said on a busy day he has a grand or more in the little shed.That surprised me.I go \to Phoenix 2 or 4 times a week and theres shooting there everyday so I go armed.Like you said Boy Scout 

cbl51

I live in a 55+ community in Georgetown Texas, about 30 miles north of Austin. Low crime, nice neighborhood. But old habits die hard, and I lived mo my life in and mourned Washington D.C. until the better half and I retired and got out of there. Carrying a gun was part of life in that area, and it was a matter of sooner or later you were going to need it. You never know, and it's not just around a bad part of the city you may need it.

I never thought I'd need a gun backpacking on the Appellation Trail, but I did. A warning shot was fired and the problem disappeared.

I never thought I'd need a gun while traveling on our nations interstate highway system. But an hour after dawn last Memorial Day weekend I needed a gun at a rest area between El Paso and Ft Hancock. You never know.

A mini is small enough to ALWAYS have a gun on you. First rule of survival ti make it clear to the predator that you are not an easy meal, and they are going to get hurt trying to take you on. I live in a good neighborhood in a nice town now, but the world is still not Mr. Rogers neighborhood.

Be prepared!

lign

I live in a very rural neighborhood on an acre of land. I love many of our neighbors, but sadly, we lost the war on drugs many, many years ago. Low income, open/rural neighborhoods like mine are completely overrun with drugs. There's a wild mix from ancient singlewide mobile homes up to 3,000+ square foot homes on the marsh.

In more than 20 years of CC, I've never come close to pulling it out even once against a human. But I'm also a very big, bearded guy who keeps his mouth shut, his eyes open, and avoids dark alleys. Many, many, many times I have been comforted to know it's there or to have my hand on it in my pocket.

Because you just never know.

rogertc1

I have had my concealed permit since 1970. Iowa was always a can issue state back then. However each county was different. It depended on the elected Sheriff. My county was always issued to everyone. It was paper then. You could not drink alcohol. $5 for 1 year. Mine was one of the few in Iowa that had "Person Protection" as the reason. In a small town everyone knew everyone. When I went to college at U of I used to keep a shot gun in my dorm room for hunting.  No one cared back then. There were no Gun Free Zones. When Iowa finally went to shall issue in 2011 it was really not a big deal for me. Carrying was second nature. one can have a few drinks now. I had a SS M-60 Chief 38 and I carried in a shoulder holster because in my job I wore a suit back then. My back up was tiny a .25 SS Bauer pistol. Have to say I have never had to pull my firearm in all that time. My training back then was conducted by the Sheriff's department. I always believed in the training "never pull the gun I wanted to kill". It helped me avoid situations. Yes. We were trained in the weaver stance too. I have always carried because I can.

rogertc1

Last thought. The only thing that bothers me now days is all the want to be Rambos and COPs.  People are training like they are. My concealed carry has always been to defend me.  My Old M-60 carry. Tyler T-grip and stag grips. Has a R- prefix 
LOL  Something you really need for urban combat?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Reflect-Angle-Sight-360-Degree-Rotate-For-Laser-Sight-Picatinny-W-Rail/400701924745?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D12%26asc%3D20140905073823%26meid%3Daaff85bdd34c4a6aa938c29ca1ad45dc%26pid%3D100284%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D400701924745&_trksid=p5713.c100284.m3505
Merry Christmas.

boone123

I live in a low crime city but have carried since long before permits were the in thing.  Motorcycle tripping  is where I am really glad to have  a mini with me. Couple of close calls, but never pulled it out. Just having a gun when you might need it helps to show no fear, which is a good thing. Helps look danger right in the eye.

Canoeal

Yeah, I worry that the gun magazine media pushes the envelope a bit too far, just to sell more bigger, "better" guns. Most of those they are touting will (if carrying like double stack glocks)  are great for LE, but will have lawyers questioning your motive for carry that many rounds, if you need to use it. They will paint you as a closet vigilante. I am happy with 5 or 6 rounds in the revolvers I carry and believe in most situations that is more than enough. I am a 63 yo who knows PA law, and not out looking for a gunfight.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

zburkett

For years I carried a Derringer and never felt under gunned.  If I couldn't get it done with two shot I was probably gonna loose anyway.  I went to a mini because they are a lot better made and all the shots go the same place, the Derringers two shots don't.  The extra three shots had nothing to do with my choosing the mini.

autofull

i live 40 miles from harrisburg in a little town named hamburg and as of now im packin two pugs and a kel-tec p11. just for awhile ya know, because ya never do know.  kevin.

grayelky

Back when I worked for a living (retired LEO), I carried a back up, even when there were only 2 of us in the department (90-100 officers) who did, and we caught hell for it. Didn't care, still don't. I adopted the outlook then of carrying one more than I thought I might need. There were many times, as a detective I carried the issued Glock 23 or later 22, the back up 27, a Charter Bulldog 44 on my ankle and a mini LR. The pocket knife was just a tool, unless I ran out of ammo. Now, I run a gun shop. I carry either a Kimber Solo 9 mm on my side, an S&W 351 on my ankle and a Wasp magnum in my front pocket. Sometimes the Solo is on my ankle and a Kimber CDP Ultra in .45 ACP is on my side. There has been one occasion when I felt very confident I would have to shoot 2 "gentlemen" before they left the shop. I think they sensed I was not only prepared, but willing to do so, if they wanted things to go that direction, and they left, never to return. I was quite satisfied with their decision. If I am just out shopping or visiting a doctor, I usually only carry the Wasp and one of the previous 2 on my ankle. Just for the heck of it, there is a KelTec SU16 in the truck, and maybe another handgun. Or 2.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"