I Jazzed Up My R.I.A. With Some New Grips

Started by billt460, January-07-18 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic

billt460

I got sick of looking at the stock wood grips that came on my Rock Island Armory G.I. Model 9 MM, so I picked these up from Dan Eagle Grips. I had a tough time getting the old ones off. The screws were really tight, but finally came off without backing out the bushings. After I got the screws out, the old grips wouldn't budge. So I field stripped it and found a clear piece of 3/8" Lucite rod I had laying around. Working from the inside through the magwell, first from the top, then the bottom, I kept gently prying until one side popped loose. Then it was easy to tap the other one out. 1911's are always an adventure to replace grips on. I always keep spare bushings and screws on hand, just in case. As well as a bushing removal tool and a tap.

The new grips needed some fitting where the slide stop plunger is inletted into the top of the left grip. (You can see in the photo how much taller the new grips sit on the frame). But I took my time with a riffler file, and now they fit perfectly. Anyway, the gun looks a lot better. These grips are also thicker and fit my hand better. They also come with new gold plated screws and O-Rings, which is a nice touch. The bottom photo is what the gun looked like with the factory grips.

franco22

Looks good. They make a big difference.

Uncle Fatso

MR_22

Whoa, those are pretty cool. Nice RIA. I got a couple RIA's myself. I like 'em.

Rick_Jorgenson

Nice looking grips!

I had no idea 1911 grips were usually a hassle to change (Never had one, yet...)  :). I'm always in the market!  :o.

Never bought one (RIA) when they are on sale because I don't know anything about them.

Are the Rock Island's pretty good?  I don't need a super high end gun, just one that works consistently and is not uncomfortable to shoot.
Rick Jorgenson

WECSOG

In my experience, they're great for the price. Just a good solid, functional 1911.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

billt460

Dollar for dollar Rock Island Armory 1911 pistols are about the best buy out there for a good, solid, accurate 1911. They come in all configurations in 9 MM, .45 ACP, and 10 MM. They also have their own cartridge, the .22 TCM available, in either complete pistols, or in 1911 conversion kits.

Uncle_Lee

I just got my new issue of "Guns & Ammo" and in it is an article about the new Rock Island Armory's new 22 mag   1911.
Nice looking. 15 shot.
Model XT 22 Magnum.
MSRP $598.00
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

billt460

Quote from: uncle_lee on January-08-18 04:01
I just got my new issue of "Guns & Ammo" and in it is an article about the new Rock Island Armory's new 22 mag   1911.
Nice looking. 15 shot.
Model XT 22 Magnum.
MSRP $598.00

The Magnum version of this gun will be a huge hit. The XT-22 LR is a fantastic all steel .22 semi auto that's built on a standard steel 1911 frame. I would have had one in my collection years ago, except for the fact they're almost impossible to find in stock. And when they are, they sell out almost immediately. I've had an E-Mail notification in with Davidson's for several months now, waiting for them to get a few in stock.

An indoor range near me has one available for a rental gun. And it's almost always in use, and rarely if ever gets cleaned. It just keeps banging away for tens of thousands of rounds.

MR_22

Agreed on the quality of Rock Island Armory. I have two--a 22TCM double stack and an XT22 with .45ACP conversion (kind of backwards, eh?). I also have the 22TCM bolt-action rifle. Very cool gun. I also have a 22TCM9R conversion kit on a dedicated Glock 17 (I bought a new Glock 17 frame without the 9mm slide and barrel).

autofull

super sweet, looks like they belong on a high ender. i hope that the two tone joint holds up. yeah, i have replaced and re-threaded way too many 45 frames for bushings and screws but you knew what to do guy. very deserving pistol there.  kevin

redhawk4

If Rock Island would fit checkered wood grips on that  model from the factory they'd sell even more IMO. The stock grips make it look like a cheap attempt at a 1911 and yet as we see here the change of grips transforms the appeal of the gun and also it's perceived quality which fits better to my mind with the actual quality of their product.  Personally I find the dual coloring a little OTT, but they certainly illustrate how uninspiring those stock, cut from a 2 ber 4, grips are.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

billt460

Quote from: autofull on January-08-18 09:01
super sweet, looks like they belong on a high ender. i hope that the two tone joint holds up. yeah, i have replaced and re-threaded way too many 45 frames for bushings and screws but you knew what to do guy. very deserving pistol there.  kevin

The grips are actually a one piece wood grip, with the Mother Of Pearl inlaid into a cutout, then shaped into the grip itself. The workmanship is very well done. One of those things you find pleasantly surprising.... Instead of disappointing.

billt460

Quote from: redhawk4 on January-08-18 13:01
If Rock Island would fit checkered wood grips on that  model from the factory they'd sell even more IMO.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know why manufacturers do this. They get cheap in the wrong places. CZ does much the same with their model 75's. They mostly all come with those cheap, black hard rubber grips. They're functional, but they look like crap. CZ sells nice Cocobolo grips, in either a half or full checkered pattern for $55.00 on their website, and over the counter at their custom shop in Mesa. The stock black rubber grips sell for $22.00.

So for a difference of just $33.00 they could equip the CZ-75 with beautiful Cocobolo checkered grips. And that's going by customer cost. I'm sure their cost would be even less. I don't know too many people who would not be happy to pay what amounts to $30.00 bucks more to have a $850.00+ pistol that looks like this. Instead of one that looks like the lower photo. Pure and simple, grips make the handgun.

redhawk4

That certainly emphasises my point, but at least the black stock grips on the CZ are functional, the ones Rock Island fit are not even that, given the smooth surface, so they lack in both form and function. Even the screws look ugly, when considering buying that 1911, I'd be immediately adding in the cost of a new set of grips, thereby likely ending up with a higher overall cost, than if the gun cost a little more with decent grips that I'd keep.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Porschedog

Grips really do make a huge difference. I like VZ grips on mY 1911s when I can find a good deal.

rogertc1

MY CZ WITH WOOD

billt460

Beautiful wood with polished steel.... Nothing better!