The two mini combination.

Started by cbl51, January-07-18 09:01

Previous topic - Next topic

cbl51

Mini's being mini, and so easy to carry two of them, I find myself carrying the two guns with different loads in them. My main self defense mini I keep with the CCI mini mags or stingers, and the spare mini carried is filed with snake shot all five chambers. This area is known for a good amount of snakes, so I fond having one gun dedicated to snake duty is not a big thing when I have two of the little things on me.

For outright urban use, I will replace the snake shot with more CCI stingers, so I have both guns loaded the same for city use down in Austin or San Antonio.

Anyone else do a mini with snake shot?

Fharing

Yes but one is the mag snakeshot, then the LR with stingers. I found mag snakeshot to be more effective.

smokeless joe

Years ago I use to carry two shots of snake shot and the final three were hollow points. My logic was that the first two shots would go to the face and buy me time to take better aim with the final three. Thankfully I never had to test that theory.

WECSOG

Quote from: Fharing on January-07-18 09:01
Yes but one is the mag snakeshot, then the LR with stingers. I found mag snakeshot to be more effective.
Same here, although I have killed quite a few snakes and rats with LR shotshells.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Floridave

Around my property I carry 3 stingers and 2 ratshot.   Out and about its 5 22mag CCI.

Floridave

I use that combo of rounds on property because the case color is easy to distinguish which round I'm firing.  I use the Federal ratshot in brass color case, so the silver case stingers make it easy.   I think the brass crimped shot works better than the CCI shotshells, but when that's all I had, the silver CCI shotshell, I carried 2 of those and 3  minimags for the color difference.   I only carry that when working out around property when snakes or a barn rat are the likely target. 
I use these combinations in both the Black Widow and my Ruger Bearcat.

tylerclimb

I like the two gun idea. its crazy how small these things are that you don't mind carrying one in each pocket. my fiancé isn't a fan of me having a gun in my pocket while sitting on the couch at home and with my sig 938 she would always no but now with a sidewinder she rarely notices and only occasionally hear about it.

RangerJim

My wife and I used to have a dog, but sadly we lost her earlier this year.  Sweetest dog in the world ... Aubrey.  Anyway, whenever I walked her, I carried two minis—one LR mini loaded with shot shells, and a Pug with Gold Dots.  Never had to use either one, but was glad to have them with me every time.  Interestingly, I've never actually tried the magnum shot.  May have to give it a shot. 
[Hah!  See what I did there?]. ;)
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

grayelky

I used to carry a LR, and for many years, the first shot was a CCI snake/bird shot, which would go to the face. Don't recall where, but I read some convincing evidence that the size of bird shot, #11, was so small it lacked the ability to penetrate enough to be of any benefit. Granted, IF the bad guy caught the shot square in his eyes, he could not see. IF. I switched back to 5 HPs, and have not looked back. Just food for thought.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

franco22

I understand carrying snake shot for snakes but it doesn't make much sense for self defense. At least not to me. All of my minis are 22 mag and are loaded with Gold Dots or Critical Defense rounds. Having said that, I live in the city and haven't seen a snake in years.

Ruger

Quote from: franco22 on January-08-18 07:01. . . . . . .  I live in the city and haven't seen a snake in years.

Not to worry, they haven't changed in a long time
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

cbl51

Quote from: franco22 on January-08-18 07:01
I understand carrying snake shot for snakes but it doesn't make much sense for self defense. At least not to me. All of my minis are 22 mag and are loaded with Gold Dots or Critical Defense rounds. Having said that, I live in the city and haven't seen a snake in years.

That's strange, I grew up in the city and saw lots of snakes. Some of them would pass as humanoid in dim light. They needed to be shot just like their no-legs brethren.

Bigbird48

No snakes but Coyotes are city critters. I was parked on a main thoroughfare, 6 lanes city road and watched a coyote walking through a large car dealership, then down the side of the road toward a residential area ??? Think he was looking for mini poodle breakfast ;D. Hope the neighbors are paking their mini's ;D   

autofull

im not politically correct on anything but, i just always carry solids as i do not want anyone to believe i thought out what ammo would work better on a two legged critter vs any other kind. so, i just carry two. the lr rides in my breast pocket quite well in its old thin naa pocket holster. pug really likes my front pocket well enough to just live in there in its now old madhat house.

Uncle Fatso

This is a good idea but i tend to run out of pockets pretty easy.    I need to get an IWB holster for my Mini Master.

Canoeal

I bought a box of 22 mag Snake shot. I did some test with it from both of my 22 Mags. I was seriously underwhelmed. The only time I put any back in my gun is if ZI find annoyincriters in the Sop , the paint shed (not so for0 Or in the storage shed, which is more likely, it sits in the box ourtin the main shop in case I might need sme. IMHO it has no use in SD. Snakes, mice and rats yes anything else, Nope. Not legal to use on batas...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

zburkett

I got a .22 short just because it is cute.  It also fits in the watch pocket of a pair of Levies so it has become a constant carry.  Does that make it a back up to my I 5/8" constant carry mini?

Bigbird48

YES! :)

Quote from: zburkett on January-08-18 17:01
I got a .22 short just because it is cute.  It also fits in the watch pocket of a pair of Levies so it has become a constant carry.  Does that make it a back up to my I 5/8" constant carry mini?

autofull

yup, that,s my theory also.

cbl51

Quote from: Canoeal on January-08-18 17:01
I bought a box of 22 mag Snake shot. I did some test with it from both of my 22 Mags. I was seriously underwhelmed. The only time I put any back in my gun is if ZI find annoyincriters in the Sop , the paint shed (not so for0 Or in the storage shed, which is more likely, it sits in the box ourtin the main shop in case I might need sme. IMHO it has no use in SD. Snakes, mice and rats yes anything else, Nope. Not legal to use on batas...

From what I understand from long term residents of this area of Texas, I have way greater chance of running into a snake than a criminal. So my modus operendi is; For country, snake shot. For city carry, CCI stingers or mini mags. If carrying a second mini in the city,  both will be loaded with real bullets!

Oddball

My Wasp is always a backup to whatever I'm carrying. Now that I have a Sidewinder sometimes its the backup to that.
When I'm carrying two minis they're both loaded for urban self defense.
When I go to the woods at least one of them will be with me and loaded with shotshells.