Sidewinder barrel replacement

Started by HUD, January-08-18 19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

HUD

I have just sent my sidewinder back to NAA. The reason for this was that the cylinder was popping open about every tenth shot. This happened after I had previously shot approximately 50 rounds at a different range session and at this one it started after I put about 15 rounds down range without incident.  Between the two range sessions I did clean it.  I would also note that one of the cylinders always sticks (stuck casing) and it is just easier to plunge the spent brass in lieu of trying to eject it when it is really tight.

When I initially contacted NAA they told me it probably needed to be re-barreled. This is the problem I have with that statement. "It needs to be re-barreled."  I had been carrying this as my CCW when running and cycling or as a back-up gun when travelling. I do not trust a gun that, after 75-100 rounds needs a new barrel. I could live with the sticky cylinder but not the barrel issue.  Admittedly NAA is took the gun back and all but I have asked them to be able to swap it out with something else. 

Has anyone else had this issue with any of their mini-revolvers?

Fharing

Yes my sidewinder has similar problems, every 10 rounds or so the front of the crane pops open. The worst sticking ammo for sidewinder has been Winchester.  I haven't contacted naa yet but just took it out of edc  rotation.
So far the bug out has been my best mini.

boone123

HUD
If a new barrel  will fix it, why not? A new barrel doesn't mean there is something wrong with the bore, it means there is something wrong  with the way things fit together  when the crane is locked shut that lets the crane pop open.  Let them fix it before you give up and don't like it.

redhawk4

I'm sure NAA will fix it, it's not a common problem from anything I've ever heard so once it's fixed with individual testing it will likely be better than new. It could just be a tolerance issue with the part of the barrel the crane locks into.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Warthog

Wow, I must be a lucky person, so far neither of my Sidewinders have needed anything.  They work well and have for a bunch of magnums.  Some are better than others, as in brands of ammo, but I never had this happen yet.  Let them put the barrel on it and see how it goes, if you still feel this way, ell it and get something else. ;)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Qind

I agree with the other members, let factory do their magic and get it re barreled. Obviously hey know the issue you are having and how to correct . I have two sidewinders one with around 350 rounds thru it, zero issues. The other has a tighter tolerance on cylinder opening and closing, never had it do what yours did but each are a little different.
I know NAA stands behind their  product  line WAY more than guns costing 3 times the cost ( and more) have a new 629 and it's been back 3 times for timing and cylinder drag issues. Needs To go  back again for the cylinder Locking up between rounds in double action sometimes.
All my NAA's have been fixed correctly or never had issues. Good luck, it will work out fine, give them a chance.

Bigbird48

I have 2 EB sidewinders I have never fired, maybe I should just to see their OK