Range Report Ranger II

Started by redhawk4, January-10-18 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

redhawk4

I took my Ranger to the range to give it a work out. I don't want to sound a negative note, but I did encounter some issues.

First I fired some 22 LR rounds, they fired fine, and grouped OK, just not to POA. On a letter paper sized target I was aiming for the bottom right hand corner to hit the center at 3 yds. The cartridges fell out of the chambers pretty well with the extractor up and the gun inverted.

I switched to 22 Mag, a much bigger boom and got hit a few times by metal fragments, one cut my face. Accuracy didn't seems as good as 22LR in fact a little eratic. The ejection was poor which is where the next problem started, the cylinder wouldn't stay in place, it kept popping out every time the gun was opened and everytime I tried to eject shells. By  the time I left the range if I open the gun even empty, the extractor releases the cylinder from it's location rather than lifting up,it takes the cylinder with it, it appears I don't have enough engagement of the latch to hold it in place. Looking at the action closed the latch is fine, when open the play between the cylinder and the tube it runs on allows it to drop out of engagement. Also with all the cutouts in the cylinder for that safety notches etc. there are a lot of positions where the catch has nothing to contact with one or other of the two protrusions allowing the cylinder to move back and/or come free.

Also when I switched to Gold Dots after firing CCI, they seemed harder to extract and on the first cylinder I had 3 misfires, even though checking the cartridges I could see the hammer strikes, all of them fired second try, and the 2nd cylinder of Gold Dots fired just fine. By then I was tiring of the cylinder antics and decided the 70 or so rounds fired would suffice for today.

I'm going to have to take it back to NAA for some tweaks and adjustment.

Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

RangerJim

Pardon the understatement, Redhawk, but that's not great to hear ...  Sorry you had that type of experience, but it sounds like you're describing some of the same issue that others--the early recipients--have also reported.  I would have thought that most of these identified kinks would have been worked out by the time yours went out the door.  But Sandy did make it clear how challenging this product would be to deliver.  I'm sure NAA will fix it in no time, but good luck, and keep us posted!
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Gobbletn

Redhawk, that's not great news.... arggggggg. Frustrating to say the least, I agree, I was hoping for a better product in the delayed deliveries. Well, just keep plugging NAA and hopefully things will get ironed out sooner rather than later...

The shot show might be bitter sweet this year. Gun folks can be tough on a new production run. I hope not but those of you that get to go, keep a positive outlook while Reporting and supporting our newest addition!

Not sure why, but Dad always said "Shoot Straight" before every hunt

redhawk4

At least I'm only 10 miles from the factory so I will contact them and take it by so I can show them the issues 1st hand. It was rather disappointing after all the expectation and excitement, but I know it will get sorted. I can see they will have to be very careful with how that latch mechanism combined with the cylinder etc. is put together and watch tolerances closely.

As an aside when rooting out some CCI 22 Mag ammo, I found the box I used when I fired my original Ranger, I had mistaken it for a full box all this time because for some reason I put the fired cases back in the box. So my Ranger II got to fire ammo from the exact same box of ammo as my first Ranger. Alas my first Ranger behaved rather better on that outing. 

lign

38sp

Like I said in a thread before Christmas, I had an issue with my Ranger 2 not firing all cylinders and not wanting to eject several different types of ammo. I sent it back for repair.  Naa called me yesterday and said they replaced the mainspring and the cylinder. I'll give you a report once I get it back.

Ruger

OK guys, keep these range reports coming.  I have only had mine for two days and have not had the chance to get out the door and throw an lead down range.  It is good to hear what all are finding.  And luckily, these are NAA firearms, backed by the best, so we need to help out and prove the design, process, and assembly to allow NAA to hone in on perfect results.  Glad to be part of that process.

I once was a Beta site for a large piece of industrial software.  Man, it was painful.  The company was shipping ten (10) 3.5" disks out per week (yeah, this was back in the day) for the first two (2) months with patch after patch to fix the application.  I would walk around the department handing out disks to anyone that needed some at home (after applying the patches, of course).  Unfortunately, I was using it for a customer's manufacturing process, so I lost thousands of engineering hours on that project.  After the fiasco, the developing company sent me a jacket for my trouble in helping find the issues.  It was too small.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

rooftopkorean

redhawk,

My Ranger II had some of the same issues. I also had a round explode from the rear of the cylinder! I have some burns and primer stuck in my finger. I also had round not fire at all (CCI).

Overall, I was really disappointed and I kind of have some trust issues with these mini's now (Ranger II is my first NAA). I am contacting Customer Service now but I am not sure I want to shoot again unless I have a face mask and heavy duty gloves.

ikoiko

Quote from: rooftopkorean on January-11-18 08:01
redhawk,

My Ranger II had some of the same issues. I also had a round explode from the rear of the cylinder! I have some burns and primer stuck in my finger. I also had round not fire at all (CCI).

Overall, I was really disappointed and I kind of have some trust issues with these mini's now (Ranger II is my first NAA). I am contacting Customer Service now but I am not sure I want to shoot again unless I have a face mask and heavy duty gloves.

Was this on a mag cylinder?

redhawk4

I'll add this comment I already made in a previous thread:

With regards to my face getting splattered, it got me a couple of times with each cylinder of 22 mag, only one leaving a mark with blood. I noticed a build up of soot about a 1/4" long about midway along the top strap in the area just before the pivot point of the cylinder release latch. I found that strange, but looking down on the Ranger from above there is an area of the top strap, near the front of the cylinder which extends for about 1/4" of an inch, flaring out into the full width of the top strap. It's very narrow there over the cylinder gap and then with the flare, I wonder if it's directing some blast back at the shooter. Looking at pictures of the original Ranger, the barrel has what appears to be an identical profile in that area, but I only ever fired a few shots with that one and so wouldn't know if that could be the cause or not.

Rooftopkorean's report sound's more extreme, but I would certainly urge everyone to make sure they wear their eye protection when testing their Rangers, of course none of us would ever think of not doing so ;)

rooftopkorean

Yes, 22mag

Quote from: ikoiko on January-11-18 08:01
Quote from: rooftopkorean on January-11-18 08:01
redhawk,

Was this on a mag cylinder?

PaducahMichael

It was my understanding that NAA test fires a full cylinder before releasing the gun for sale.

Two questions:

Am I misinformed about this?

Wouldn't these troubles be caught at this stage (testing)?
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

MR_22

Quote from: PaducahMichael on January-11-18 09:01
It was my understanding that NAA test fires a full cylinder before releasing the gun for sale.

Two questions:

Am I misinformed about this?

Wouldn't these troubles be caught at this stage (testing)?

You are correct. I remember hearing the test firings in the cinder-block-lined test-fire room at NAA when I was there last time for a scout tour. I believe each mini-revolver is fired 5 times, or a full cylinder full, before getting the stamp of approval.

rooftopkorean

I forgot to mention that the latch would partially open whenever a round fired. I believe this might be the reason why the round blew up at the back

Quote from: redhawk4 on January-11-18 09:01
I'll add this comment I already made in a previous thread:

With regards to my face getting splattered, it got me a couple of times with each cylinder of 22 mag, only one leaving a mark with blood. I noticed a build up of soot about a 1/4" long about midway along the top strap in the area just before the pivot point of the cylinder release latch. I found that strange, but looking down on the Ranger from above there is an area of the top strap, near the front of the cylinder which extends for about 1/4" of an inch, flaring out into the full width of the top strap. It's very narrow there over the cylinder gap and then with the flare, I wonder if it's directing some blast back at the shooter. Looking at pictures of the original Ranger, the barrel has what appears to be an identical profile in that area, but I only ever fired a few shots with that one and so wouldn't know if that could be the cause or not.

Rooftopkorean's report sound's more extreme, but I would certainly urge everyone to make sure they wear their eye protection when testing their Rangers, of course non of us would ever think of not doing so ;)

Don73

Has anyone fired their new Ranger II yet and had no problems? When people start drawing blood and have lead spraying them, I get nervous about trying mine out at the range. Its disheartening to read these Ranger II problems. I'm probably over worrying the issues.

redhawk4

Quote from: Don73 on January-11-18 12:01
Has anyone fired their new Ranger II yet and had no problems? When people start drawing blood and have lead spraying them, I get nervous about trying mine out at the range. Its disheartening to read these Ranger II problems. I'm probably over worrying the issues.

I think you probably are too, just wear eye protection as you should and I'm sure you'll be fine, if still worried put some work gloves on until you're sure. While I had some problems I wasn't concerned in the least about some dramatic failure that would leave me with only enough fingers to wave good bye to my old boss :)

38sp

Over the years I've sent many things back to North American Arms for various reasons. They've always been courteous and professional and more than willing to fix any problem. This is still a new firearm it'll just take a little time.

lefty dude

I think y'all are the beta test site !!!

Porschedog

Interesting reports; I'm sure NAA will make them all right. I am still eager to get one......

redhawk4

I know they read these reports, they knew about mine, by the time I got to the factory the next morning - so be careful what you say :)

I decided mine was the experimental "tactical model" because when I opened the barrel the cylinder jumped out by itself, ready to snap another in - "tactical reload" . .  it just needed some high capacity cylinders to further the concept :)

redhawk4

I got a call from NAA today, my Ranger is repaired and ready for pickup, which was timely as I was already headed to Provo. I went and picked it up. They fitted a new barrel which takes care of the cylinder issue, there is much more overlap between the cylinder and the latch than with the original so it's held firmly in place. Unfortunately won't have time to test it because I'm heading out of town tomorrow and have lots to do before leaving. Everything looks good, I will aim to take it to the range next Tuesday.

I see some comments about hammers binding up and so on, if when you open/close the cylinder in the half cock position and on closing you do not turn the cylinder until it clicks into place with the cylinder lock in one of the indents, before trying to cock the hammer, there is something that occasionally gets out of place and binds up in the mechanism. If the cylinder is in a certain position the hammer will not go from half cocked to full cock, I believe it's the pawl hitting the straight raised section that goes out to the cylinder from the center on the extractor, whatever the cause I can make mine do it if I fiddle around with it - the solution is just to position the cylinder after closing it.

redhawk4

They must be short of oil at NAA :) I notice again on the replaced parts that they were bone dry, the cylinder and so on. A good coating of soot in and on the cylinders too, so it was obviously test fired some. Still it is much smoother than when I first got it, I haven't had a chance to look inside yet, but the oil I put on's probably in there still. I will clean and lubricate it before going to the range. They definitely need a good lube before use, or passing judgement IMO.

Chacha77

When cleaning you ranger 2s have any of you taken the side plate of and lived any of the internals...also would you recommend doing this? I thought about doing this when I get mine but I am very hesitant to do so since I don't really know what is inside and I don't want springs and things fly out when I take it off😂

Bigbird48

Noy sure what you mean by sideplate. If your talking about grips them thats not a problem if you mean a plate that is under the grips then I'd be careful

ikoiko

I never had the side plate off, but there are some tiny parts under there. I think Uncle Lee has though. Don't think going under there is for the faint of heart.

Parts diagram

https://northamericanarms.com/parts/parts-mag/

Chacha77

Thanks for the advice, I was talking about the metal plate. The predictive text made me sound like an idiot lol. Thanks for reading between the lines

PaducahMichael

What would be the best oiling points for the Ranger II ( or any Mini for that matter )?

Don't want to overdo it but don't want to miss anything that needs it.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Chacha77

Good question I'd like to know too

Bigbird48

I would say anything that moves needs a little lube, trigger, hammer,any moving parts, plus the inside of the Barrel and the cylinders.Also  Once in a while remover the grips and light lube everything thats metal. Oil is not going to hurt the gun just don't over do it, it gets slippery ::)

Bj

I have now shot my new Ranger II over 100 rounds.  Some Gold Dots, Critical Defense FTX, CCI V-max 30 gr, and CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr for the Mag cylinder.  Federal Target Grade Performance 40 gr for the LR.

None of the cases got stuck, but the cylinder did tend to start coming out instead of the empty shells just a few times.  For me the sights aren't too great for my aged eyes.  Every shot fired on the first pull of the trigger.  I'm not a very good shot for accuracy with it, but I sure would not want to be the target of my own shots.  Somehow the recoil hit my thumb pretty good once, not sure how I did that.  My trigger finger gets powder dirty from shooting.  Toward the end of shooting today I tried shooting from about the waste without sites and maybe did just as well or better for accuracy with that technique.  All of my shooting was in the range of 10-15 feet.

I might consider getting a little bigger grip sometime, maybe the carved one from NAA.  I plan to use the Ranger in Rock's pocket holster for EDC now instead of the slightly smaller LR.  Both are pictured in my new avatar.

Bj

I think I figured out what I did with my thumb, got in way of hammer edge when shooting fairly quickly.

Bigbird48

BJ glad you had a good outing :D whats your ser #

Bj

Bigbird48

So seems like the higher we get the less the problems I think.

jennflip

#135---no range time but fired 10 LR-no problem, ejected fine--no  back spatter--that is why I like Thingmeisters grips with the blast shield---no magnums fired yet---ds10speeds loader works great!!!
    a lot of dry firing with the yellow wall hanger plastic"snap caps"----
   Can't seem to get this one to hangup like some are experiencing----
     Did have some "flashing edges" around the end of the barrel that I sanded smooth---
     so far so good--------