Anyone Else Have A Ruger Bearcat?

Started by gebe, January-11-18 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

gebe

I just love the little Ruger Bearcats. So small and handy and to me, so jewel like. I have a stainless model with the fixed sights and elk stag grips. Seems like folks love them or don't understand why one doesn't just buy the standard Single Six where you can even get the .22 Mag cylinder thrown in and usually at a lower cost than the Bearcat.

I've always wanted one of the newer ones with the adjustable sights. I finally found a great deal on a blued model with the adj. sights. It's locked up in jail right now here in Calif. and I can't wait to finally get it and wring it out. It'll be nice to dial it in with the adj. sights.

MR_22

I WISH I had a Bearcat? Does that count? I've looked them over often and lusted after one, but thus far haven't purchased one. Yours looks AWESOME! Nice stag grip.

I do have a Single Six (with a 9.5-inch barrel), but I still want a Bearcat.

theysayimnotme

Little hard to see but those look like adjustable sights. I have an older blued one & it just has a groove in the topstrap for the rear sight & a simpler front sight.

Warthog

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

gebe

Quote from: theysayimnotme on January-11-18 15:01
Little hard to see but those look like adjustable sights. I have an older blued one & it just has a groove in the topstrap for the rear sight & a simpler front sight.

Good eye and you're correct! I apologize that I didn't state that the picture wasn't of mine but mine looks exactly like that with the exact stag grips but without the adj. sights. My bad and again, I apologize.

My stainless Bearcat has the Bear Mountain stainless steel ejector rod cover that is unfortunely no longer available and the #5 SS base pin.

Uncle Fatso

I have two of the alloy framed old models.  They haven't been converted to have a transfer bar, so they're five-shooters.  I had a stainless model but let a friend talk me out of it.  It was far more accurate than the old ones I now have.  I don't know why.

I'd like to get one of the short barreled "Shopkeeper" models if they weren't so costly.

dale_az

Beautiful Bearcat gebe!  I have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Bearcat for a while now. 
I hope to find one, one of these days.
Dale - AZ

Floridave

Bearcat is one I'll never get rid of.   Love this little revolver.  Mine is several years old, I added the adjustable sights before it was an option from the factory.
I've carried it all over the place and you can tell it, but it's a fun gun to shoot.   Actually, looking at it now, I really do need to clean it up!

pietro

This is my 1969 BC, the 6th BC that I've owned over the years (including a 1971 Super BC), and the one I'm keeping - because it's the first one I had that actually shot to the sights will most all the various LR ammo I have stashed.

The Elkhorn stag grips were made to my druthers (not a lot of bark)  by Sack Peterson http://www.sackpeterson.com/

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

boone123

Yep, some old, and some newer. One with adjustable sights, and a Shopkeeper. Ran about 300 rounds through the Shopkeeper a couple of days ago. Will always be a Bearcat lover...   Need to fondle more , and shoot less. Already shot over 1000 rounds by yesterday. I am an addict.   Life is good...

scbuxton

Yup, me too. I have a stainless shopkeeper  ( I guess that they're all stainless ). It shoots poa and feels good in my hand. Kinda like having a sharp blade in my pocket,  I find myself with my hand in my pocket lightly rubbing my thumb across the blade. It feels good. That's how the little shopkeeper feels.
I've got to go, I feel the need to fondle steel, maybe my new ranger. ;D

bleak_window

I think they look awesome, but I can barely get my fat finger into the trigger guard, so I had to pass. 

gebe

Quote from: dale_az on January-11-18 18:01
Beautiful Bearcat gebe!  I have been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a Bearcat for a while now. 
I hope to find one, one of these days.
Dale - AZ

Dale, check over at rugerforum.com. They have some great deals on them occasionally. That's where I got my blued version with adj. sights. One guy had some of the stainless versions with the adj. sights at a nice price.

gebe

Quote from: Floridave on January-11-18 19:01
Bearcat is one I'll never get rid of.   Love this little revolver.  Mine is several years old, I added the adjustable sights before it was an option from the factory.
I've carried it all over the place and you can tell it, but it's a fun gun to shoot.   Actually, looking at it now, I really do need to clean it up!

Nice Floridave! Good to see you use it. When I purchased my SS version, I checked everywhere to find a gunsmith who could install adjustable sights on it. The only smith I could find at the time  that did it was Hamilton Bowen and he wanted $250.00 plus shipping.

gebe

Quote from: pietro on January-11-18 19:01

This is my 1969 BC, the 6th BC that I've owned over the years (including a 1971 Super BC), and the one I'm keeping - because it's the first one I had that actually shot to the sights will most all the various LR ammo I have stashed.

The Elkhorn stag grips were made to my druthers (not a lot of bark)  by Sack Peterson http://www.sackpeterson.com/

Sach is who made mine also. By the way, that picture in my post was from his site. When I ordered them, I told him I wanted mine to look exactly like the ones in his picture with lots of bark. He matched mine perfectly.

Boy, his prices have jumped way higher than I paid him back then. He does good work though.

Porschedog

I'm considering the stainless Bearcat Shopkeeper model. Basically a bigger NAA, lol

dale_az

Quote from: gebe on January-13-18 15:01
Dale, check over at rugerforum.com. They have some great deals on them occasionally. That's where I got my blued version with adj. sights. One guy had some of the stainless versions with the adj. sights at a nice price.

Thanks gebe.   While I have several Rugers, for some reason I don't go to that forum much.  I will check it out more often. :)

Dale - AZ

pietro

Sach is who made mine also.

Boy, his prices have jumped way higher than I paid him back then. He does good work though.

Oh Yeah ! . ::)

I only paid $75 (his price) for mine.

LHB

A Ruger Bearcat was the first 22 handgun I ever bought, used with an S. D. Meyers holster, back in 65.  It was great to just tuck in the back pocket, when going for a walk in the woods,  I could never shoot it like I wanted to, I always blamed the sights.  When it warms up, I need to take it for another walk.  It is not pristine, it shows that it has been used through the years.

Uncle Fatso

Traded for an adjustable sight model this past Saturday.  I'm going to try it out and perhaps have the cylinder reamed to take .22 magnum if I like how it shoots.

rogertc1

I never did get a 22 Ruger  SA. I was lucky to buy a USFA 12/22 SA Revolver.

Porschedog

Whe one of our club members passed away, his wife held a sale. She had listed a Bearcat among the guns, as well as a T/C with a 22and 45/410 barrel. I beat feet to,get there first, to find the Beatcatbwas actually a Single Six with both cylinders. I bought it and the T/C which is scary accurate and fun. I'm leaning heavily toward a stainless Shopkeeper Bearcat now.

theysayimnotme

Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-15-18 05:01
Traded for an adjustable sight model this past Saturday.  I'm going to try it out and perhaps have the cylinder reamed to take .22 magnum if I like how it shoots.

The cylinder will likely be too short. Even if it is long enough there may be flame cutting of the top strap. That was why Ruger stopped making convertible Bearcats.

gebe

Quote from: pietro on January-14-18 19:01

Sach is who made mine also.

Yea I only paid $75 (his price) for mine

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I paid $90.00 for mine but I told him I wanted plenty of bark to look like his picture and he charged me an extra $15.00 to do it for the total of $90.00. Glad you like yours as I sure like mine!

Uncle Fatso

Quote from: theysayimnotme on January-15-18 14:01
Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-15-18 05:01

The cylinder will likely be too short. Even if it is long enough there may be flame cutting of the top strap. That was why Ruger stopped making convertible Bearcats.

I have read several places that Ruger recalled the Bearcat magnum cylinders due to timing issues.  In fact, here's a link to their recall notice.

https://ruger.com/pdf/newBearcatConvertible.pdf

I just checked the lengths of several types of .22 magnum ammo that I have on hand against the cylinder of my Bearcat and none that I checked were too long.  And Hamilton Bowen, Alan Harton, and Cylinder and Slide all have offered the conversion to 22 magnum for years.  Maybe they know what they're doing.   ;)

boone123

I read once that it had to do with fanning the hammer by some. Don't know if that is true. I own some Bearcats, and see no reason that a mag cylinder wouldn't work.
The cylinders in the newer Bearcats were made longer to deal with the 22 Mags. I am sure  Ruger could make it work, if they wanted to...

top dog

Uncle Fatso,
I had inquired about having the Ruger Bearcat converted to 22 mag but was told that you would not be able to use a 22lr cylinder to change back to 22lr. I don't know why,but that was the reply I received.

I had purchased mine about 8 years ago and am totally happy with it.

I had looked at a BearCat with the adjustable sights on it recently but prefer my original fixed sight model. Just seems better for me.

I have a smoke jumper friend that packs a BearCat in his side cargo pocket on missions along with a MTM Ammo Wallet with 30 rounds. Seems that when they are though fighting a fire and it is a long ways to a pick up,he has a way to provide some food,if needed.

Top Dog

pietro

Quote from: top dog on January-16-18 09:01

I had inquired about having the Ruger Bearcat converted to 22 mag but was told that you would not be able to use a 22lr cylinder to change back to 22lr.

I don't know why,but that was the reply I received.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Any steel-framed Old Model BC (Super Bearcat) or any New Model BC can be made into a LR/WMR convertible via removing the LR cylinder from the BC and sending the frame (only) to the Ruger Service Dept in N.H. for a replacement LR cylinder - which they will fit to the frame.
(I tell them the original cylinder was lost).

After it's returned, either cylinder can be reamed to .22 Mag (I prefer to ream the new/replacement cylinder ILO the original cyl) yourself or a local gunsmith (you will most likely need to buy the WMR reamer, either way).

Uncle Fatso

If I decide to do this, I'll be using a gunsmith who has done them before and has the requisite tools. Thanks, guys!

top dog

Uncle,
Let us know how that project works out. I am interested to see how the conversion does on the range.

Top Dog

Lemon

I have the Stainless Steel 4.2 inch adjustable sight version and I love it. It shoots very accurate and fits my hand well. I picked mine up a few months back but I have put a few hundred rounds thru it. Maybe I can get a picture of it and the holster posted on here soon. I have been looking at the convertible 357/9mm models but it is hard to decide between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk.

zburkett

I have the Shopkeeper and it is a toss up over which is my favorite trail gun.  The Shopkeeper or my 3" Earl with BW grips.

theysayimnotme

Quote from: Lemon on January-17-18 07:01
I have the Stainless Steel 4.2 inch adjustable sight version and I love it. It shoots very accurate and fits my hand well. I picked mine up a few months back but I have put a few hundred rounds thru it. Maybe I can get a picture of it and the holster posted on here soon. I have been looking at the convertible 357/9mm models but it is hard to decide between the Vaquero and the Blackhawk.

Long ago I had the .357/9mm. The 9mm was very picky about what rounds it would chamber. Reloads were an absolute no-no & even some factory loads would not fully chamber. Since there is no rim to headspace on I suspect the chambers have to be tight & case length not over long. Of course maybe it was just my gun. It's been so long ago & I had it for such a short time I can't even remember if there was a separate cylinder.

boone123

Spent a couple of hours out in the country today with one of my Bearcats. Being single action means less ammo..

Boisesteve

Hey ZBurkett, 
Those little Shopkeepers are sharp looking. I've considered having one converted to 22mag, but until then here's my favorite trail rig.  4" 22mag Earl with oversize grips.
We'll see what the future budget allows; I sure do like those single action Rugers (along with my single action North Americans.)
Be well, Boise Steve