Ranger II Range Report

Started by rooftopkorean, January-11-18 16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

rooftopkorean

Bad news...

So I was down in Laredo hunting this past weekend and I took my brand new Ranger II to test it out.

Ammo Used: Aguila, CCI

Here's a breakdown of the issues I encountered:

-First 5 shots, I put in some Aguila and the 2nd shot malfunctioned. The 22 mag round blew out from the back and caused some burns on my index finger. I believe the latch opens once I fire a round which allowed the hammer to strike a round and the pressure to be directed to the back of the cylinder.
-Second 5 shots, CCI were put in and 3 round failed to fire (we did not run it again because we were being extra cautious at that point).

I did not fire it again after that, it really bummed me out to be honest. I was hoping the 2nd round of shipments would not have these issues. I have already emailed NAA but I was wondering if this has happened to any other NAA mini's before. I was hoping to get the Pug & Black Widow but I am apprehensive now.

I don't mean to be so negative, it just took a lot of excitement out of getting the Ranger when I had these issues.

David Culp

Ouch!

I guess I'd better shoot mine soon to check  them

redhawk4

I know we say we like pictures here, but we don't like to see blood :)

The other models you mention are all tried and tested so should be more than fine.

I'm wondering how the barrel catch would come undone, is it stiff and sticking or is the spring action holding it forward missing?
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

MR_22

Wow. Is there a chance that the locking mechanism wasn't all the way locked down? Is that what caused the problem? (The breach opening, I mean.)

Fharing

Was that the shot aligned with the barrel the one that blew, or the next one in rotation?  Remember anything that strikes a rim can set the round off. That's strange. :-\

Porschedog

I'm sure NAA will get this all sorted out but it has to be frustrating to get the gun ab
Nd have it act up.

rooftopkorean

The action doesn't feel stiff at all, I am not sure about the spring action

Quote from: redhawk4 on January-11-18 16:01
I know we say we like pictures here, but we don't like to see blood :)

The other models you mention are all tried and tested so should be more than fine.

I'm wondering how the barrel catch would come undone, is it stiff and sticking or is the spring action holding it forward missing?

rooftopkorean

I generally always check everything before I shoot a gun, I made sure the locking mechanism was down and secure

Quote from: MR_22 on January-11-18 17:01
Wow. Is there a chance that the locking mechanism wasn't all the way locked down? Is that what caused the problem? (The breach opening, I mean.)

rooftopkorean

The round I was shooting was the one that blew up

Quote from: Fharing on January-11-18 19:01
      Was that the shot aligned with the barrel the one that blew, or the next one in rotation?  Remember anything that strikes a rim can set the round off. That's strange. :-\

mrmurl

I can not remark toward the round that blew up, but have noted that the Aquila (sp) is not quite as high quality in some cases.  It seems to be hit and miss.
I will tell you that at least for me CCI magnums are hard primered.  I have had them fail to fire multiple times in the same minis that fire Hornady and Winchester great.  I have heard it said that 22's of all sorts are manufactured in the same plant, but there is a real difference in some ammo compared to others.  One of my minis would not fire CCI ammo when struck by the hammer.  Turn the ammo one forth or half around and it would fire.  While using Hornady it will fire without a miss.  And I believe the Hornady is more accurate in my Wasp and also my BW.  Have not had much of a chance to use the CCI in the BW yet.
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

RangerJim

Hey, mrmurl ...  Appreciate the heads-up regarding CCI.  Have you had any experiences with the Speer Gold Dots yet?  I generally alternate between GDs and Hornady Critical Defense in my minis, and haven't had any real issues with either--except for a rare light strike.
So, making guns illegal will take them off the street?
Perfect!  We should probably make heroine and meth illegal, too!

Canoeal

CCI Maxi mag Hp+v 30gr  has worked fine in my BW, 40 grains keyholed... Both Horandy CD and Speer GD worked fine too, as well as Rem Accu-tip 33 gr. and 30 gr Hornady...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke