Found this under my stoop.

Started by OldManJared, November-15-17 11:11

Previous topic - Next topic

OLD and GRUMPY

That sounds like what I would do.

You need to mount it to protect what is left or take the plunge.

Don't try taking it apart until after a long soak with penetrating oil.

Remove all the wood then flood every opening you can find with oil. Then wrap it in rags and plastic and put it outside (fire risk) for a month.Re oil each week. Flood the bore and set it muzzle up. This works best in summer when it can be "baked in the sun" but cold will do.

Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Just be careful. The last one I did that way was cocked but not loaded. I unwrapped  it and it fired.  ;D

Death before Decaf !!!!!

To Old To Run

I think I would give it the old college try myself, it would be an interesting project at the least.
I've used Marvels Mystery Oil on a lot of old rusty parts through the years and had good success.  It's sold by the gallons and it's cheap, plus the smell isn't bad either. Combined with a little elbow grease as they say, it just might turn into something worth keeping and again maybe not- I believe it's worth a try.

OldManJared

Thank you for the advice and recommendations! If anything comes to fruition I will keep you all updated in this thread. Thank you for your interest. It has spurred me on.

Uncle Fatso

You might mix up a batch of "Ed's Red" to soak it in. Google search it.  It's cheap and a very effective penetrating cleaner.

OLD and GRUMPY

Like the idea of the red.  Get a plastic container that the red won't melt and just give it a bath.  Like I said it takes time. No way around that.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

Warthog

They make a rust remove solution that works wonders, I have used it a lot on old knives and such I find out in the field and they come out looking brand new after a little soak and wire brush.  It is called Evaporust, I get it at the farm supply store and it is even inexpensive.  It works well and I use it a lot, never tried it on a gun but it doesn't remove more than the rust...
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

OldManJared

Well... sorry to get your hopes up folks but I believe this one may just be to far gone. Once I broke away the rest of the buttstock, the through bolt was so rusted it was almost severed. Looked like a tree trunk that's been chewed through by a beever. It's in a pretty sorry state.

Warty I really like your signature. That's such a great passage.

Warthog

One of my favorite Bible Passages, thank you OMJ.

Bummer about the finding though.  Too bad, thought you might get it working again. :(
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

To Old To Run

Well darn...I was hoping for the best on this one. :(
One thing we have left...The Mystery of how it got there. ;)

OLD and GRUMPY

Death before Decaf !!!!!

MR_22

Quote from: Warty62 on December-13-17 20:12
They make a rust remove solution that works wonders

I've used some of these rust removers while restoring old bolt-action military rifles, and they do work great, but I'm afraid if you used it on this stoop gun, there'd be nothing left of the gun!

bglz42

Such a cool story! Love that rifle!

autofull

this is just a really cool story. half-way through i had decided on a savage, box fed, cartridge counter lever rifle, yeah. we guessed correctly. old age and knowledge at work again. kevin.