pa ringneck hunting

Started by ray, October-22-17 07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

MtGoat

I used to keep three acres in long grass and with taller weed patches for winter cover.
I also cut my last cutting of hay early then watered the field until water was out of the ditches to provide over-winter cover.

The worst predator on the pheasants were the cats feral and otherwise.
If they were out in the weed patch they were way too far from home and often didn't return.
At first I would set the dogs on them but finally had to thin the herd a bit.

We seemed to always have birds after that.
With the tall grass the hawks had trouble catching the pheasants.

Pat

autofull

i remember like 40yrs ago, when the game keepers in my pa county stocked the woods with ringnecks. in the summer when ya drove on the back roads it was like pheasant suicide as they just walked out in front of you. i guess being raised in a pen makes ya kinda stupid. now they are releasing hen turkeys out there and they have no idea who they are. kinda looks like a clutch of very old women having an argument. honest, they cluster on the corner of a road and fight. cool beans huh.  kevin.

ray

that is funny I think ring hunting is going to be a thing of past talked to higher up game warden in dec. said costing to much money

ray

autofull where did you live I was born @ raised in du bois

autofull

Hamburg, 19606. in the sticks next to the mountains, i know where du bois is,nice place. we hung out in sunbury a long time ago.

autofull

hawk mt. cool. there were no hawks there in the 60,s but they sure have over populated now. we have large hawks in our trees everyday, so much that my wife stopped putting sunflower seeds from the mill out for the wild birds. being from hamburg, port clinton and kempton are just around the corner and then over to eckville and the mountain. it was a popular boy scout place in my days. i can always find time to meet ya up there.  just message me guy.  kevin.

autofull

yeah, cool place. nice ranger station, have you been up to the fire tower in molino. pretty radical drive to get up the mountain. where do you live. you must be in pottsville or new ringold maybe.  kevin.

autofull

im down in exeter now, we should hook up my friend.  kevin

ray

when the weather breaks we should meet have breakfast shoot @ go fishing for trout do you guys fish