Ranger II "Driving Holster"

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, January-16-18 22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_Jorgenson

We have been getting requests for Driving Holsters for NAA's for a while and figured the Ranger II would be a "Natural" to Kick Off a New Holster Design!

Since doing them for Bond Arms has been very positive I thought "Why not"?

I think these will be really popular for the Black Widow too.

Industrial grade "Hook & Loop" (Velcro) is on the Holster body and the strap. The belt strap has a molded belt impression to keep it centered.  Leather color is Chestnut with Gold Thread.  Holster is molded to the gun and has a Thumb Break to help with retention.

This is the quickest way to draw while seated and while driving.

Since this is the first one any comments, constructive criticism, or ideas  from all of you is welcome and helps me improve the finished products. 

I appreciate all of you and your support! 

Rick Jorgenson
Rick Jorgenson

David Culp

Fharing

Looks perfect. My favorite Naa by a long shot is the bug out.  Grey thread on black is on my wish list. ;)

ELK52

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Uncle Fatso

Beautiful work.  Question: would a snap work ok to secure the holster instead of the velcro? 

ds10speed

Rick, I like the idea of your holster but it's not clear to me how you get the strap off the hammer to get the gun out. Can you explain?

ikoiko

Quote from: ds10speed on January-17-18 06:01
Rick, I like the idea of your holster but it's not clear to me how you get the strap off the hammer to get the gun out. Can you explain?

It's a thumb-break holster. Just push the leather tab with your thumb, snap detaches from mating part on strap around hammer.

ds10speed

Quote from: ikoiko on January-17-18 07:01

It's a thumb-break holster. Just push the leather tab with your thumb, snap detaches from mating part on strap around hammer.

Thanks, that explains it.

postalman

Very nice! I'm coming out your way in March. Would love to see a LH driving holster for the BW. Wishin' and hopin'!
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

redhawk4

I like the idea of the driving holsters that give you access when seated in the car or a restaurant etc. For a small handgun like an NAA, it makes a lot of sense to carry horizontally on the belt as well, nothing to stick in you when you bend etc.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

heyjoe

im looking forward to getting mine
It's too bad that our friends cant be here with us today

scout

Rick, I really like the design.

Two things that came to mind thinking about wearing one. My thinking is about wearing ahead of side pocket with the holster being squeezed in place by my 'Dunlop' spare tire.

The end of the strap around the body looks like it will hang up or catch on things, perhaps a bit long or protruding because of the Velcro?
Is this strap a separate piece of leather coming up and around belt and body? I think if it is one piece with the pouch body the saving in thickness would compensate in desirability  for the larger piece of hide required.

I think you said the back is molded to hold position on belt, which is great. Maybe an option using an 'Ulti-Clip' would be good as well.

Thanks for your beautiful and enthusiastic work!

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: David Culp on January-16-18 22:01
Looks nice

Thank you David

Quote from: Fharing on January-17-18 04:01
Looks perfect. My favorite Naa by a long shot is the bug out.  Grey thread on black is on my wish list. ;)
The Bug Out is a Favorite of mine as well!  The "Grey on Black" is the "All Black" Holster this year! lol!! 

It adds a little interest to the Black Leather.  You can go all out and go with the Orange Thread! lol!! Looks great with the Bug Out Orange Grip (Unless you have changed it out) Then it looks like the circus forgot their holster! lol!!

Quote from: ELK52 on January-17-18 04:01
Excellent!

Thanks Elk52!

Quote from: uncle_lee on January-17-18 04:01
Hey Rick, Looks good.

Thank you Uncle_Lee!

Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-17-18 04:01
Beautiful work.  Question: would a snap work ok to secure the holster instead of the velcro? 

I really want my Driving Holster to "Stay Put".   Customers belt thicknesses and widths vary so much, with a snap, what may be tight on my (1/4") double thick 1-1/2" wide belt will "Flop" around on a customers store bought 1/8" X 1-3/8" Light weight belt.  Then I'll get a phone call saying I made a Crappy Holster because it won't sit still.
With Velcro it will snug tight to any width belt.

Quote from: ikoiko on January-17-18 07:01

Once it's unsnapped you pull the gun and the strap moves freely out of the way.  There is some practice involved to get the feel of the whole process.

Quote from: Postalman on January-17-18 08:01
Very nice! I'm coming out your way in March. Would love to see a LH driving holster for the BW. Wishin' and hopin'!

There would be one here waiting for you if you would like!  All Left Hand Holsters are made from an order,  I stock very few lefty's  ::)

Quote from: redhawk4 on January-17-18 08:01
I like the idea of the driving holsters that give you access when seated in the car or a restaurant etc. For a small handgun like an NAA, it makes a lot of sense to carry horizontally on the belt as well, nothing to stick in you when you bend etc.

It is the quickest Draw while sitting.  Try getting to your gun while in your car with a seat belt on.  That convinced me!

There are some that can just tuck it up under their belly! No need for a Holster! eeeeewww!

Quote from: heyjoe on January-17-18 09:01
im looking forward to getting mine

This one is going out with a second holster.  I don't have the paper work in front of me right now, it may be yours!
I had some oral surgery this morning and was ordered to stay home! (by Mrs. Gun Leather). Back at it tomorrow!
Rick Jorgenson

grayelky

How would the orange thread look with this color leather?

I can't believe no one has asked yet: How much?

I would likely be interested in one for my BW, in black.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

seak

That will work on suspenders also,handy rig

Gobbletn

Hey Rick, how much for us "Thread groupies??? Looks very nice.

Gobbletn
Not sure why, but Dad always said "Shoot Straight" before every hunt

ikoiko

Rick, does this same holster fit both the Ranger II and the Black Widow, or the RII alone?

I was going to ask about more molding to the RangerII (I Like added detail there), but if it fits both, it's a 2fer 1.

Porschedog

This holster looks amazing! It is practical, too. Now I just need to find a Ranger so I can order the leather.

Bigbird48

I saw this Holster yesterday while in the shop, it's really well made and an awesome looking holster. Rick Showed me how easy it was to unsanp the thumb break and draw the gun from the holster.
I think he was talking about me when he mentioned big belly's don't need a holster :P :P :P Rick ;D ;D

smokeless joe

Nice job Rick. You've been a busy man.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Bigbird48 on January-17-18 17:01
I saw this Holster yesterday while in the shop, it's really well made and an awesome looking holster. Rick Showed me how easy it was to unsanp the thumb break and draw the gun from the holster.
I think he was talking about me when he mentioned big belly's don't need a holster :P :P :P Rick ;D ;D

No Way BigBird48!  Your so "svelte" the Ranger would cover your waist area! lol!!

Quote from: Porschedog on January-17-18 16:01
This holster looks amazing! It is practical, too. Now I just need to find a Ranger so I can order the leather.

You can order the Holster without the Gun!  Most everyone on the Forum did!  :)

Quote from: ikoiko on January-17-18 15:01
Rick, does this same holster fit both the Ranger II and the Black Widow, or the RII alone?

I was going to ask about more molding to the RangerII (I Like added detail there), but if it fits both, it's a 2fer 1.

All my Holsters are made "Gun Specific"  The stitch lines follow the contour of each gun,  The wet leather is molded to each model gun.

This is my product differentiator of a "Custom Built" Holster and a "off the shelf, one size fits many" and part of the many step process to proper fit and retention, especially with holsters without a thumb break or hammer thong.

Now.... after saying that,  if you jamb one of your other guns in a holster I made (for a different gun) and you think it fits ok.... your good to go.  If it falls out or doesn't draw well its on you.

Short version is this.....

• The Black Widow and Ranger II have such different shapes neither will go in the others Holster.
  • You can get other  "Round Barrel" NAA Magnums to slide in (except the Sidewinder).
  • The Holsters will fit the Magnum frame fine but will be to large in the barrel section.
Quote from: Gobbletn on January-17-18 14:01

Gobbletn

Thanks for looking, be glad to help you when your ready!  NAA Forum Members move ahead of other orders (as long as they are stock type orders)
PM sent

Quote from: seak on January-17-18 14:01
It will work on your Speedo's too!
Quote from: grayelky on January-17-18 14:01

I don't know about Orange thread on the Chestnut....  I'll run a test piece and take a photo.
P.M. Sent

Quote from: smokeless joe on January-17-18 18:01

Thanks Smokeless!  Had to "sit out" today,  had a little oral surgery this morning and Mrs. Gun Leather & the Dr. said I should stay home.  Back at it tomorrow!

Rick Jorgenson

Bigbird48

Yea if I drop 50 LBS maybe LOL

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on January-17-18 18:01
Quote from: Bigbird48 on January-17-18 17:01

No Way BigBird48!  Your so "svelte" the Ranger would cover your waist area! lol!!

Quote from: Porschedog on January-17-18 16:01

You can order the Holster without the Gun!  Most everyone on the Forum did!  :)

Quote from: ikoiko on January-17-18 15:01

All my Holsters are made "Gun Specific"  The stitch lines follow the contour of each gun,  The wet leather is molded to each model gun.

This is my product differentiator of a "Custom Built" Holster and a "off the shelf, one size fits many" and part of the many step process to proper fit and retention, especially with holsters without a thumb break or hammer thong.

Now.... after saying that,  if you jamb one of your other guns in a holster I made (for a different gun) and you think it fits ok.... your good to go.  If it falls out or doesn't draw well its on you.

Short version is this.....

• The Black Widow and Ranger II have such different shapes neither will go in the others Holster.
  • You can get other  "Round Barrel" NAA Magnums to slide in (except the Sidewinder).
  • The Holsters will fit the Magnum frame fine but will be to large in the barrel section.
Quote from: Gobbletn on January-17-18 14:01

Gobbletn

Thanks for looking, be glad to help you when your ready!  NAA Forum Members move ahead of other orders (as long as they are stock type orders)
PM sent

Quote from: seak on January-17-18 14:01
It will work on your Speedo's too!
Quote from: grayelky on January-17-18 14:01

I don't know about Orange thread on the Chestnut....  I'll run a test piece and take a photo.
P.M. Sent

Quote from: smokeless joe on January-17-18 18:01

Thanks Smokeless!  Had to "sit out" today,  had a little oral surgery this morning and Mrs. Gun Leather & the Dr. said I should stay home.  Back at it tomorrow!

autofull

very well thought out and design work and thats from an all the time driving holster user.  kevin.

keithd

Ranger II EB
Wasp
Black Widow

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: autofull on January-18-18 09:01
very well thought out and design work and thats from an all the time driving holster user.  kevin.
Thanks Kevin
I have never used a "Driving Holster" but really like Cross-Draw,  after listening to many Bond Arms users they loved the idea of the Bond Driving Holster but they disliked the fact it moved so much and the gun "dropped" on the belt strap so I looked to eliminate those pain points.
The NAA is much lighter than the Bond but many of the same features I use on my Bond Holster are used on the NAA Holster.

Quote from: keithd on January-18-18 13:01
I like it very much

Thank you Keith
Quote from: Canoeal on January-18-18 17:01
Nice job.

If you want one for your Black Widow I'll title it as a "Canoe Paddling Holster"   :)  Thanks Al 
Rick Jorgenson

Uncle Fatso

Rick

Emailing you about a "canoe paddling holster". ;)

Bigbird48

He shrink wraps those to make them water proof  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-19-18 07:01
Rick

Emailing you about a "canoe paddling holster". ;)

Bj

For now I plan to stick with pocket holsters myself, but I do have a question out of curiosity.  Rick, do you also make matching belts?

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on January-16-18 22:01
We have been getting requests for Driving Holsters for NAA's for a while and figured the Ranger II would be a "Natural" to Kick Off a New Holster Design!

Industrial grade "Hook & Loop" (Velcro) is on the Holster body and the strap. The belt strap has a molded belt impression to keep it centered.  Leather color is Chestnut with Gold Thread.  Holster is molded to the gun and has a Thumb Break to help with retention.

Since this is the first one any comments, constructive criticism, or ideas  from all of you is welcome and helps me improve the finished products. 

Rick Jorgenson

Bigbird48

Rick does make gun belts very nice one too I might add

Quote from: Bj on January-19-18 08:01
For now I plan to stick with pocket holsters myself, but I do have a question out of curiosity.  Rick, do you also make matching belts?

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on January-16-18 22:01

Rick Jorgenson

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: Bj on January-19-18 08:01

Yep!  I can do belts

Double Layer & Double Stitched.  They are $85.00

Additional customizing is available.

+ $50.00 "Gunslinger" Stitch Pattern
+ $50.00 Basket Stamp
+ $75.00 Basket Stamp & Name
+ $200.00 Full Western Floral

Rick Jorgenson

Canoeal

Rick "If you want one for your Black Widow I'll title it as a "Canoe Paddling Holster"   :)  Thanks Al 

In the future I wall consider it. Still in the boot another month (then they will decide what to do) so, not working yet...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke