Ruger LCR?

Started by cbl51, January-29-18 08:01

Previous topic - Next topic

cbl51

Anyone here got one???

I've been looking at the S&W 43, the Ruger LCR, and I like the Ruger for the stainless steel cylinder. My better half kidnapped my S&W 317 years ago and still has it, so I want another light weight 8 round double action revolver for when my 23 ounce model 63 is a bit too heavy.

I've read where many owners of the LCR .22 thinks the double action only trigger pull is way to heavy. I'd like to know how it compares to the double action pull on my J frame model 63, that I consider very doable.

Uncle Fatso

I have a 22 magnum LCR.  I'd say the trigger pull is similar to a 63 in double action.  But the advantages of the S&W .22 mag J Frame are

Can be thumb cocked for single action
Fits in a pocket easier
Some are lighter weight
7 rounds instead of 6
A variety of aftermarket grips
Doesn't look like a mud fence

The LCR is cheaper and has a more durable finish

The factory LCR grips don't fit my hand well and tend to hang on my clothing when I'm trying to draw the gun.
I've always wished Ruger had made an aluminum alloy framed SP-101 instead of the homely, oversized LCR.

bleak_window

The LCR-22 does not have the nice trigger like the centerfire LCR models.  I sold my LCR-22. 

pietro

In .22cal, I would much rather have a not-yet-introduced LCRX, which has an external hammer (only in .38/.357, so far).

Until then, I'll just have to get along with my .22Mag-only Charter Pathfinder........ :D

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

glenn

Yes.  I'm waiting for a LCRX for Mom.

Proud Untermenschen of the NWO

Uncle Fatso

I had a LCRX 3" 22LR with adjustable sights, up until a couple weeks ago when I swapped it off for a S&W 317.  I think I've seen an announcement that Ruger is coming out with one in .22 magnum now

David Culp

I like my lcrs. My 22lr was my first handgun and is now my wife's. the 357 is my newest lcr. Interested in the 22 mag and or the 327.

smokeless joe

I've got the 9mm and a 38spl

WECSOG

I have a .357 lcr, and carry it daily. I'm 100 percent satisfied with it.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

smokeless joe

Quote from: WECSOG on January-29-18 19:01
I have a .357 lcr, and carry it daily. I'm 100 percent satisfied with it.
I'm pretty sure that will be my next purchase. When I dropped off my ranger at my lgs yesterday I asked him if he found me one for under 500 bucks.

cbl51

Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-29-18 14:01
I had a LCRX 4" 22LR with adjustable sights, up until a couple weeks ago when I swapped it off for a S&W 317.  I think I've seen an announcement that Ruger is coming out with one in .22 magnum now

Why the swap? as there something you found not acceptable in it?

I'm particularly interested  in how the trigger pull on the .22lr is compared to the 317/63.

cbl51

Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-29-18 10:01
I have a 22 magnum LCR.  I'd say the trigger pull is similar to a 63 in double action.  But the advantages of the S&W .22 mag J Frame are

Fits in a pocket easier
Some are lighter weight
7 rounds instead of 6

The factory LCR grips don't fit my hand well and tend to hang on my clothing when I'm trying to draw the gun.
I've always wished Ruger had made an aluminum alloy framed SP-101 instead of the homely, oversized LCR.

I'm looking particular at the .22lr. I want a 2 inch barrel 8 shot revolver and the only alternative is the S&W with he black finish that flakes off. The S&W is like almost 700 dollars. They don't make the 317 in the 2 inch anymore, d--m it. The Ruler LCR is in a notch market with the 2 inch and fixed sights.

I'd love for the LCR to become available in the LCRX 2 inch with a external hammer for single action capability.

Ruger

We have the LCR in both 22 mag and 38sp.  The triggers are indeed heavy, but smooth.  My lovely wife likes her 22 mag, and since it has a long trigger pull, she isn't bothered by the "no safety" gun in her purse.  She uses a kydex trigger holster.  I keep the 38sp close at hand in the bedroom but will say it is not a fun range toy.  I do shoot it on the range, but after two cylinders full, I put it down to let my hand recover. With the polymer frame, your hand takes the energy.  Doubt if I'd notice that when really needed.
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

redhawk4

In revolvers I prefer a hammer and being DA/SA.

I really like my S&W 638 even though it's the "ugly hunchback" of my collection with it's enclosed hammer. It's snag free, has a good DA trigger, but I really like the option to be able to cock and fire SA. It's amazing what you can hit with a J frame at quite a distance firing a carefully aimed shot in SA. I know SD encounters are at close range, but I always have in the back of my mind a situation where a longer range and/or accurate shot may be required. With the Double Tap 38 +P ammo I carry that has a 125 grain bullet travelling at 1100 fps from the 1.875" barrel length, with surprisingly low recoil, I don't feel a need for 357 mag in such a small package.

Ruger LCR's are great guns by all accounts, I just prefer the more traditional styling of other revolvers in the marketplace.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

Uncle Fatso

Quote from: cbl51 on January-30-18 07:01
Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-29-18 14:01
I had a LCRX  3" 22LR with adjustable sights, up until a couple weeks ago when I swapped it off for a S&W 317.  I think I've seen an announcement that Ruger is coming out with one in .22 magnum now

Why the swap? as there something you found not acceptable in it?

I'm particularly interested  in how the trigger pull on the .22lr is compared to the 317/63.

The factory 2" LCRx grips don't fit my hand well and tend to hang on my clothing when I'm trying to draw the gun. The 3"
grip is sticky and needlessly large for a gun with no recoil to speak of.

The LCR doesn't work for pocket carry for me due to its size and sticky rubber grip.

The DA pull weights on the LCR and S&W's are pretty comparable but the Ruger's is "smoother".  The SA pull on the Smiths is what sets them apart.  I grew up with S&W DA triggers and like the fact that they can be staged.

Warthog

Here are my 3 LCRs. 2 Hammerless (9xx & 327FM) and one LCRx, 38 +P.  I carry the two hammerless ones but use the LCRx for home defense and range time.

I find the trigger pull to be comparable on Rugers and the S&W's, which I own a few as well.  I realize the 327FM isn't a popular caliber for most folks, but there are a few. 8)

I just about have my LCRx 327FM paid off, afterwards, I think a 22 Mag of some sort, will be nice. ;)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

New kid on the block. Just picked up and LCR 357 at the gun show today. Haven't fired it yet. When I get my Ranger II back I'll probably take them to the range and give them both some love.

Oddball

I had a 357 and still own a 9mm. I'd choose an LCR over any new S&W because the trigger is better and they don't have the prone-to-malfunction trigger lock on them. It pains me to say that as I've been a long time fan of the j-frame but whoever decided that lock was a good idea should never be allowed to have a say in any gun design ever again.

top dog

Joe,
Super nice piece!!!  Let us know how the range session with that goes. Will you be shooting any magnums through that light weight???

Top Dog

kc

Quote from: cbl51 on January-30-18 07:01
Quote from: Uncle Fatso on January-29-18 10:01

Fits in a pocket easier
Some are lighter weight
7 rounds instead of 6

I'm looking particular at the .22lr. I want a 2 inch barrel 8 shot revolver and the only alternative is the S&W with he black finish that flakes off. The S&W is like almost 700 dollars. They don't make the 317 in the 2 inch anymore, d--m it. The Ruler LCR is in a notch market with the 2 inch and fixed sights.

I'd love for the LCR to become available in the LCRX 2 inch with a external hammer for single action capability.

Keep an eye on the Ruger website. That's what they told me a few months ago when I asked them about a 2" LCRx in .22LR.

smokeless joe

Quote from: top dog on February-04-18 07:02
Joe,
Super nice piece!!!  Let us know how the range session with that goes. Will you be shooting any magnums through that light weight???

Top Dog
I will definitely put at least 5 rounds of 357 thru it first just to know what to expect, then practice with 38sp from there on out. When carrying tho she'll be loaded with the 357.

WECSOG

Subjectively, mine kicks similarly with 125 grain .357s and 158 grain .38 +P. Of course flash and blast is much more with the .357s.
With 158 grain .357s it is much more difficult to control.
125s in .357 are unbeatable for sd anyway, so it's all good.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

autofull

i have owned both models of the lcr and lcrx. trigger pulls went off my 16lb digital scale. sold em both . no where near a smith in my opinion and at least i gave em a try before condemming them.   just my two.   kevin

Ruger

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on February-09-18 17:02
Joe - Ouch.
You may be right. I had an sp101 years ago with a short barrel. It would wake you up 😄

Ruger

Love my LCR in 38 sp . . . but I need to put it down after two cylinder's worth of fun . . .  :(

smokeless joe

Quote from: Ruger on February-10-18 16:02
Love my LCR in 38 sp . . . but I need to put it down after two cylinder's worth of fun . . .  :(
I may sell my 38 now cause I've got the best of both worlds with the 357. Then again there's always room for it in my truck 😉

Texduk3

no pix  ;(
just bought an EAA
357/38 4in  black   8)
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

smokeless joe

Quote from: Texduk3 on February-12-18 16:02
no pix  ;(
just bought an EAA
357/38 4in  black   8)
Then it didn't happen ;)

Ruger

Quote from: smokeless joe on February-11-18 09:02. . . . .
I may sell my 38 now cause I've got the best of both worlds with the 357. Then again there's always room for it in my truck 😉

Good thought . . never sell, buy more.

Texduk3

Quote from: smokeless joe on February-12-18 18:02
Quote from: Texduk3 on February-12-18 16:02
no pix  ;(
just bought an EAA
357/38 4in  black   8)
Then it didn't happen ;)

when I learn to post pix then  you will see lol
"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

smokeless joe

😄

smokeless joe

Ok I got to shoot a few rounds with the new 357 today and I was super impressed with the way it handled. First five shots were Hydra-Shok. I expected more of a kick but it was comfortable and accurate. I then shot a box of 38's and then 5 more of the Hydra. I'm so impressed that this may replace my glock 43 as my strong arm. This is my third LCR and my new favorite.

Uncle_Lee

No pictures then it didn't happen.....
Have to learn how to do pictures.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

smokeless joe

Quote from: uncle_lee on February-22-18 04:02
No pictures then it didn't happen.....
Have to learn how to do pictures.
I posted them over in wheel gun Wednesday ;) 

You guys taught me well