You Never Know What You're Going to Find...

Started by linux_author, May-04-18 11:05

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on May-09-18 12:05
Quick update:

Beretta sent me two additional magazines and a set of wood grips. It was with some trepidation that I approached the task of grip replacement due to worries involving safety removal and a flying spring and piston, so I took the precaution to attempt the left grip removal while the pistol was inside a large bag (actually the packing bag for a Beretta shirt that I had also ordered at the same time).

After removing the slide, I put the hammer back into double-action position (up) and put the safety on. Next, I removed the right side grip first, then the screws from the left side. Then I attempted to pry off the grip.

I needn't have worried. The secret apparently is to first push from the back of the grip from the other side of the pistol, then pry up from the *bottom* of the grip to get it over the magazine release button. The grip came off with the safety intact and on the gun. A lot easier than I anticipated.

As a bonus, a few spare North American Arms pinky extensions for the Guardian pistols also fit the Beretta Tomcat's magazines:

So now my Tomcat sports new grips and two extra magazines. I'm going to enjoy this pistol.
Those grips really make the gun look nice willie

Warthog

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

RogueTS1

With that Pearce Grips base plate added to those fine looking grips I would say beautiful is the word that comes to mind.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

zorba

I have a non-INOX TomCat I inherited from my late Father. It was made in 1999, and has the old style, short safety lever. I've had the grips on and off the gun multiple times with never any problems with flying springs - I can only speculate this problem is peculiar to the new style safety. (????)

In any event, although its a good shooter, it is *not* one of my favorite pistols. It just kicks too much for its size, it isn't a lot of fun to shoot, although I take it to the range now and then and run 50 through it. I'd rather shoot my Walther PP, which is a pure pleasure to shoot.

PaducahMichael

Here's my Bobcat .22lr with some different wood grips. I like these a lot.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

linux_author

Mr. PM - that pistol is on my list - i'll be looking for it next... and your grips on it look:

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Warthog

Well Willie, I found a new INOX 3032, well my LGS found it and called me to come pick it up tomorrow.  May wait til Monday, they won't sell to anyone by me for this one, because it is supposed to rain and without shoes my feet get wet, even with the little booties the doctor gives me.  I will post a picture of it when I get it though. 

I want wood grips, where did yours come from?  I know how to put the new grips on, ruined my old 3032 doing it the first time.  Well, I got it working again and wound up letting a policeman get it from me for his boot back up gun.  He knew about the safety thing too but he still wanted it, it shot fine if one was careful.

Mine was made earlier this year, so it is really new.  I am really looking forward to getting it too.  I am trading a gun in, I have many that don't get used now, so it shouldn't be a lot of extra money.  I wish I had found one for $20 but mine will be $479 plus tax.  Dunno how much of a trade yet but he usually gives me a good trade value.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

billmeek

Quote from: Warty62 on May-18-18 19:05
Mine was made earlier this year, so it is really new.

If you don't mind, I'd like to know the month it was made.  From what I've read, they only make one or 2 runs a year of the Tomcat each year.  I'm wondering if the schedule them in advance.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

PaducahMichael

Warty, you can find a lot of nice factory grips on eBay. Alternatively, you could order from Beretta. The laminated wood w/checkering is usually on eBay as well.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

linux_author

Mr. Warty - you can buy the grips directly from Beretta - $35:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/3032-tomcat-inox/

(scroll through the accessories)

congrats on the new Tomcat - it feels really good when shooting - light recoil for a blowback due to the heft

and i like the chunky wood grips!

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Warthog

Bill, IDK the month, it was earlier this year.  Thanks, I will look for some on EBay and if I don't find one I like I will go to Beretta.
-Albert Einstein

Warthog

OK Folks, I bought some polymer ivory grips and stainless steel hex grips screws plus some extra magazines and ammo and finally some of the extended Pearce Mag plates.  It is raining here now so no pix of the gun until it stops.  Once that happens I will take a post a few pix then when I get the new grips and stuff, I will post another few pix.  I am very happy to get this gun, I admit I would have been happier to get what Willie got for $20 and the free stuff from Beretta but some folks are luckier than others.  Never been a lucky person so I will accept my deal and call it GREAT!
-Albert Einstein

linux_author

Quote from: Warty62 on May-19-18 10:05
I am very happy to get this gun, I admit I would have been happier to get what Willie got for $20 and the free stuff from Beretta but some folks are luckier than others.  Never been a lucky person so I will accept my deal and call it GREAT!

Mr. W - again, i got the magazines from Beretta for $20... the Tomcat was ~15% off MSRP (not complaining, as it was NIB)

it'll be great to see pics when you get everything together!

willie
on the rainy Gulf of Mexico