Learning How to Use a PUG

Started by MikeV99, March-07-18 18:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeV99

Took the new Pug to the range today. Learning curve ...

Feeling better about how to take the cylinder out and put it back in. The pin was being a little stubborn going back in, but getting the hang of it.

Still a little shaky getting it into the safety position.

I feel more comfortable pulling the hammer back with the crook of the thumb. Seems like it the thumb is stronger that way. The opposite is true pulling the trigger. Seems like a smoother pull with just the tip of my finger. Still not sure whether to use one or two hands?

We are having trouble with the correct sight picture. How should I be lining up the sights? Is it reasonable to expect decent groups at 7 yards?  Should I get a laser grip? I want to use the Pug as pretty much my primary carry. I'd like to think I could hit a paper plate at 7 yards.

Advice for a new owner please?

RogueTS1

As with any small handgun as well as many larger handguns, one needs to take it to the range and see where it "prints" when lining up the sights. The XS sights are made to be lined up like a "lollipop." Put the Pop on the stick and what is under the Pop is where the bullet should strike. I find the Pug accurate but mine needs a little sight dope to do so.

EX: see here; Pug taken out of vault after not being shot for some time for a Cabin Fever Shoot. I did not set the Pop low enough on the stick and my shots went a tad high. Note the tightness of the group though. Practice and learn your sights and the Pug, or any Mini for that matter, can deliver for you.

1 1/2" group
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

MikeV99

RogueTS1

Thank you for the information. Your results are within expectations and would be acceptable.

Your ammo box says long rifle? Do you have a 22LR cylinder for the Pug. If yes, how do I find one to buy?

ikoiko

Contact NAA, send your pug to them and they will time a cylinder to it.  It has to be timed.

grayelky

You can go a long way towards being friends with your mini during commercials. After any children in the house go to bed, remove the cylinder from your mini. When commercials come on, practice drawing the hammer back, take careful aim and gently squeeze the trigger. This will help develop your muscle memory as well as your hand-eye coordination. Don't forget about your weak hand. You never know when you might need it, so you may as well limber it up now. This will also help to polish the moving parts on your mini, giving it a nicer trigger release.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

MikeV99

Quote from: ikoiko on March-12-18 08:03
Contact NAA, send your pug to them and they will time a cylinder to it.  It has to be timed.

How do they time it?

MikeV99

Grayelky,

That sounds like great advice. I have noticed the direction of the squeeze makes a difference. Thanks.

ikoiko

Quote from: MikeV99 on March-12-18 15:03
Quote from: ikoiko on March-12-18 08:03

How do they time it?

Sorry, just saw this. Sorry again as I don't have an answer.

linux_author

this may help explain (Smith, but principle is the same):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6g8kMFpI9M

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Gog

Great video. Explains a lot!
Thanks for that.

MikeV99

Not sure I want to send in my Pug just to get a LR22 cylinder. I have enough magnum ammo to cover my practice time. Great video on timing. I don't do a lot of revolver shooting so it was very interesting.

Mike

RICKS PLACE

Only the barrel length makes the Pug different from the Black Widow.  I took my new B-W out for the first time, couldn't hit for beans.  I can hit with my 8 year old Widow.  Oh yeah, had some kind of crud in the barrel and cylinders of my new one, finally got that cleaned out??  Also having some minor problems with inserting the cylinders.  Duh!  I'm slow, then realized the new one is so much tighter including the trigger pull.  So, it should "break in" as I shoot it more.  I would guess when your new Pug starts to break in, you get use to where it is hitting, as well as the trigger breaking in, you will find both you and it shoot better.  Now back to in my new B-W.

MikeV99

Right now I am not sure what is going to break in first -- the Pug trigger or my index finger. Hard to be anywhere near consistent when the hands shake trying to pull the trigger. Anyone ever measure the pull? Maybe 10lbs+?

I have been dry firing tonight with the cylinder out but had to stop due to index finger getting sore.

Maybe I need to squeeze with both index fingers?

MikeV99

BTW, would changing out the grips help? If yes, what and where do I get them. The Pug is my EDC so I want to feel comfortable with it - even with stiff hands.

seak

I like the wood mag BW grips on my little guns.

MikeV99

Quote from: seak on March-24-18 23:03
I like the wood mag BW grips on my little guns.

Which one -- there are several?  What about cvang grips?

seak

The big oversized wood ones for the BW with finger grooves. The extra size is made up for with much better shooting

cbl51

I may be the lone dissenter, but I think it's best to keep in mind just what a mini is and how it's going to be used.

The mini, including a pug, is a very close range no resort weapon. Most assaults happen at bad breath range, and most shootings happen at little more than arms length. About 5 or 6 feet. You'll have just enough time to point and shoot. Trying to use a sight picture at the close range a mini is used at, is going to get you hurt. Practice using the Jim Cirillo method of using the profile of the gun, or shooting out of the notch. The front sight is used like the b had of a shotgun, and you just put it on the center of the target. At the very close range muggings happen, it works very well.

The mini is basically the modern equivalent of the old derringer. An almost contact range gun. Keep the limitations in mind and don't try to stretch it.

JRobyn

Some minis, especially those with a little longer barrels and better sights are fun to plink with.  But I totally agree that if actually used in a real self-defense situation, sights will be meaningless.  Instinctive point and shoot. 

It's the main reason that I strongly prefer the BW/Secret Service/Oversized Rosewood grips - they all fit and fill the hand and naturally align the gun to point like your "pointer" finger.

seak

I have shot many a critter at 15yards and a bit more at times with the BW so its good for more than bad guys up close,I carry mine for both.

autofull

hey rogue, nice groups. funny thing is my pug, the one of the three that i call my pug, shoots to the same point of aim with the mag or lr cylinder at 25feet. makes it fuuun fer me as im gettin old and now have crs.

MikeV99

I've put the BW oversized grips on my Pug. It feels much better. Now to the range to check it out -- if I can ever get over this bronchitis  :'(

bleak_window

I can shoot my Black Widow pretty well, but my method would probably be useless in a real situation.  I fully extend the right arm with both the wrist and elbow locked, then make sight adjustments by pivoting at the shoulder.  I need to practice snap shooting.