#8-10x1??

Started by MikeV99, March-24-18 15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeV99

Will this size (#8-10x1) dry anchor work in the Pug for dry firing?  Is it the best size?

Thanks

Mike

Here are some at Amazon Ribbed Plastic Anchors, 8-10-12 x 1-Inch, 100-Piece

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fastener-014973405670-100-Piece/dp/B00OHULNFK/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1521936376&sr=1-2&keywords=%238-10x1%22+anchor

???

JRobyn

Pretty sure that the ones that fit .22LR are #6.  I use the cheapo red ones from Harbor Freight and turn them every couple of hits.  NAA hammers hit with enough authority that a 1-2 dozen hits will tear off the rims! 

MikeV99

Hopefully, then, the #8s will work in the magnum since the #6s are too loose for a magnum.

Quote from: JRobyn on March-25-18 12:03
Pretty sure that the ones that fit .22LR are #6.  I use the cheapo red ones from Harbor Freight and turn them every couple of hits.  NAA hammers hit with enough authority that a 1-2 dozen hits will tear off the rims!

bill_deshivs

Wall anchors do nothing to protect your firing pin. The hammer simply pierces them.
Use fired cases-turned to a fresh spot, or buy real snap caps.

MikeV99

Quote from: bill_deshivs on March-25-18 13:03
Wall anchors do nothing to protect your firing pin. The hammer simply pierces them.

That is good to know. I had been using spent rounds but I have worn them out so I gotta go to the range.

I have not been able to find any 22LR Magnum snap caps that specify for use for dry firing. I have ordered some .17 HMR caps with the hope they will be close enough in size.

ex-mousekateer

What if you were to fill some wall anchors with epoxy, bubbled out enough to replicate the head of a case?

docglock

These are the ones I use.  In my experience, the firing pin/hammer does not pierce them, it flattens a spot on the rim just like on a live round.  Just give them a bit of a turn every couple of strikes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5WVCS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JRobyn

Quote from: bill_deshivs on March-25-18 13:03

And just where do you suppose the energy to "pierce" the anchor goes?  INTO THE ANCHOR.

Only if I reuse an anchor MANY times and/or fail to rotate it has the hammer ever actually cut all the way through an anchor.

MikeV99

I think those will be too small and loose for magnums.

Quote from: docglock on March-26-18 09:03
These are the ones I use.  In my experience, the firing pin/hammer does not pierce them, it flattens a spot on the rim just like on a live round.  Just give them a bit of a turn every couple of strikes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5WVCS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bill_deshivs

The 17 HMR snap caps will work just fine in a .22 magnum. Both cartridges use the same basic case.
The wide NAA firing pin may actually be stopped by the wall anchors. Sharp, pointed anchors simply pierce the plastic anchors without much resistance at all.

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: MikeV99 on March-24-18 15:03
Will this size (#8-10x1) dry anchor work in the Pug for dry firing?  Is it the best size?

To follow up on this, I checked some #8-10 anchors against my Magnum cylinder and they're way too big.  #4-6 anchors actually work fine, but they're a loose fit and in theory might not fully cover the cylinder lip.

I had a pack of #4-6 anchors that were pretty snug in the LR cylinder.  I've mostly dry fired with the cylinder removed.  One hammer strike doesn't come close to piercing them, but it looks like 3-4 strikes in the same spot maybe could.  But today, I picked up a 100-pack of Ace Hardware #4-6-8 yellow anchors for $4.59.  I was curious if the "-8" would make them bigger than standard yellow ones, but they're actually a little bit smaller.  My old ones were snug enough that they had to be firmly pressed in (and out), but the Ace ones tend to drop in freely.  Some require a light press.  The nice thing about that looser fit is, they'll rotate a bit on their own as the cylinder spins, so you're unlikely to keep hitting the same spot.

docglock

Also, the #4-6-8 yellow anchors will feed from Ruger Mark III and S&W Victory mags (at least for me).

jennflip

Mousey---I popped a spring dry firing with the cylinder removed and was told by NAA not to do that---

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: jennflip on April-01-18 10:04
Mousey---I popped a spring dry firing with the cylinder removed and was told by NAA not to do that---

Really?  They might want to get their information in sync then.

https://northamericanarms.com/faqs/

"If you first remove the cylinder, dry firing is a great way of becoming accustomed to the trigger pull. Otherwise, while it's unlikely that any harm will come to the firearm, it's not a practice we recommend."