Oil Tan Leather "Soft Covers" Holster? Sleeve? Not sure what you'd call em

Started by Rick_Jorgenson, April-08-18 23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

grayelky

I'm gonna mess things up and go back to the original topic: Those slim little holsters. I just happened to get some in the shop today. Rick and I have been talking about them for a while. He seems to have finally gotten the idea/concept I had in mind worked out in leather. I like them. He also tossed in a couple in black "suede" that I will probably carry for my Wasp and my BugOut II. He can get a little creative, and when I first saw the purple thread, I thought perhaps he had gone a little too far. I kept picking it up and looking it over, and I have decided I really like it! The ammo pouches are just as nice as everything else he has made for me. I anticipate the holsters and pouches will sell good in my shop!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

ikoiko

When I picture reloading a mini during a gun fight, I see God laughing.
Just me and my 2¢.

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: ikoiko on April-11-18 15:04
When I picture reloading a mini during a gun fight, I see God laughing.
Just me and my 2¢.

I think the more realistic scenario is reloading after a situation, then having another situation arise before getting home to the ammo stash.  If you carry multiple guns, then that's a moot point, but then so is any sort of ammo pouch or spare mags.

I should clarify, given grayelky's post, that I wasn't in any way commenting on Rick's separate ammo pouches at the start of the thread.

ikoiko

I think the slim/thin pocket holsters are a good idea. I really don't like a lot of things in my pockets. I go as minimal as I can get away with. If I have a vest/coat/shirt pocket, I put things there, as best I can, over putting them in pants pockets.

A mini in a right front pants or jacket pocket is preferred.  . . .  Though, I have a Gerber ballistic cloth tool/knife sheath that fits a mini quite nicely. Nice disguise. Need to find someone willing to address the few problem areas. For concealed cross draw, with a few fixes, it would be great.

Catshooter

Those look very nice Rick.

Do you have a web site or some such where I can see more of your work?

Thanks.

Cat

postalman

OK Gray, you got this purple thread thing going, so we need pictures. Maybe a little Jimi Hendrix in the background to set the mood.
"Let the gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."- Thomas Jefferson

Bigbird48

www.desertgunleather.com

Quote from: Catshooter on April-11-18 20:04
Those look very nice Rick.

Do you have a web site or some such where I can see more of your work?

Thanks.

Cat

Canoeal

I am bowing out of this thread.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

grayelky

Ask and ye shall receive, so to speak:
If this actually works, there are 2 pics of the purple thread, which I like, and one of my Bug Out II in the black holster with orange thread. Yes, I found a homeless orange grip and gave it a home.

grayelky

I'll try again:

Canoeal

So are they going to start making multiple grip colors as an option? Mix and match...Oops, I am not here...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Catshooter

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

PaPa K

These also carry well in the cell phone pocket of Dickie 6 pocket jeans. My Pug practically live there when I have them on. Grip is just below pocket opening. I ordered on for my BW from Rick today, it will sit a 1" higher, so while it will be secure, it will show. Rick does very nice work...

Warthog

Rick, one of those would be perfect for my boot gun, if I can wear boots again.  Love the purple thread too, purple is a favorite of mine.  I will be able to get the measurements and the 22 short holster back to you before much longer.  Until then keep making great holsters for the NAAs and when I get better we shall talk... 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

gebe

Great stuff Rick! Really like the smooth oil tanned. Just what I've been looking for for my Mini Master!

Can I order one for my MM on your site?

ex-mousekateer

BTW, I figured out the stitching challenge for placing a loading strip or two alongside the gun in a simple sleeve or holster.  I haven't tried assembling it, but it looks like it should work.

Rather than stitching a seam between the two compartments, taking up valuable real estate and ruining the perfect use of space, approach it as separate pieces joined together.  It needs to be done with multiple layers like my custom driving holster, as opposed to the usual single thick piece.  The inner layer cradles the gun, looped below the frame and stitched above it.  The outer layer is similarly arranged and houses the loading strips, and is attached to the inner layer around the gun, providing reinforcement to the whole structure.

That leaves you with just the layer of leather separating the compartments, and the loading strips nestled in to almost the exact height of the grip.  If I'm feeling frisky, I might even work on some way to put a little divider between the two loading strips, although that might make them too difficult to reinsert.

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: ex-mousekateer on May-10-18 12:05
BTW, I figured out the stitching challenge for placing a loading strip or two alongside the gun in a simple sleeve or holster.  I haven't tried assembling it, but it looks like it should work.

Rather than stitching a seam between the two compartments, taking up valuable real estate and ruining the perfect use of space, approach it as separate pieces joined together.  It needs to be done with multiple layers like my custom driving holster, as opposed to the usual single thick piece.  The inner layer cradles the gun, looped below the frame and stitched above it.  The outer layer is similarly arranged and houses the loading strips, and is attached to the inner layer around the gun, providing reinforcement to the whole structure.

That leaves you with just the layer of leather separating the compartments, and the loading strips nestled in to almost the exact height of the grip.  If I'm feeling frisky, I might even work on some way to put a little divider between the two loading strips, although that might make them too difficult to reinsert.

I'm anxious to see the prototype!
Rick Jorgenson

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on May-11-18 22:05

It's Alive!  The franken-factor is strong with this one...

I decided to fasten the inner layer's top with velcro instead of a stitched flat seam because:  a) it shortens the height, b) its adjustability vastly simplifies the measurements, and c) it made it much easier to fasten the outer layer for the loading strips.  I then veered from the original plan and fastened one side of the outer layer with velcro for the same 'b' and 'c' reasons, and because as a child of the '80s, I'm a firm believer that velcro makes everything better!  However, that exhausted my velcro supply.

Dimensions are 4.45" L x 3.96" H (2.84" at the front).  Keep in mind, my grip is shortened ~0.2".  A full grip would put it within 0.2" to 0.3" of the holster height.

I was worried it might feel a bit floppy and awkward during assembly, but the finished product is quite solid.  The gun and the loading strips are held in securely.  I'm unsure about having the inverted strips rubbing against the opposing bullets.  The lower compartment's flap can be closed up tighter if carrying just one loading strip.  The tabs on the loading strips are easy to grab, as constructed, but don't interfere with grasping the grip.  They're also easy to reinsert.

I went with contrasting stitching for no particular reason other than I felt like it.  Between that and the zig zag from sewing velcro...contrasting stitching should probably be left to the professionals.  But it's a pocket holster, so who cares what it looks like, right?

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: ex-mousekateer on May-12-18 15:05
Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on May-11-18 22:05

It's Alive!  The franken-factor is strong with this one...

I decided to fasten the inner layer's top with velcro instead of a stitched flat seam because:  a) it shortens the height, b) its adjustability vastly simplifies the measurements, and c) it made it much easier to fasten the outer layer for the loading strips.  I then veered from the original plan and fastened one side of the outer layer with velcro for the same 'b' and 'c' reasons, and because as a child of the '80s, I'm a firm believer that velcro makes everything better!  However, that exhausted my velcro supply.

Dimensions are 4.45" L x 3.96" H (2.84" at the front).  Keep in mind, my grip is shortened ~0.2".  A full grip would put it within 0.2" to 0.3" of the holster height.

I was worried it might feel a bit floppy and awkward during assembly, but the finished product is quite solid.  The gun and the loading strips are held in securely.  I'm unsure about having the inverted strips rubbing against the opposing bullets.  The lower compartment's flap can be closed up tighter if carrying just one loading strip.  The tabs on the loading strips are easy to grab, as constructed, but don't interfere with grasping the grip.  They're also easy to reinsert.

I went with contrasting stitching for no particular reason other than I felt like it.  Between that and the zig zag from sewing velcro...contrasting stitching should probably be left to the professionals.  But it's a pocket holster, so who cares what it looks like, right?

Awesome DIY! 

You got it together and its working for you,  that is always a win!

FYI  (I know you didn't ask for critique but, as a fellow leather worker....)  :)

Here are a few points that a customer (if they were paying for it) may have issues with...

The "Grip" -  Shooting Coaches & Trainers will have issue with the interference with acquiring a "Combat Grip".   The Speed Strip Pocket my be to high for some people. The loading strip "extensions" do stick up.  The "Pro's" pick at my pocket holsters for the same reason.  "There should be nothing in the way of getting a firm, full combat grip". They also complained when my original design had the trigger exposed  :o  You can't please everyone.  ;)

Velco Strap -  On a Pocket Holster may be an issue (for some).  There is Zero chance of drawing indiscreetly or, casually draw to "make ready to shoot" quickly.

Suede Split Leather  -  Suede will hold dust and that dust will wear on finish. More directed at Blued Guns that Stainless finishes.  Keep it clean by wiping out or running a vacuum on it once in a while to remove dust/dirt.

A good deal of thought went into this project and the fact that you are following through and executing the builds is an A+ in my book!

I cannot tell you how many holsters I have tossed under the bench trying to improve a pattern and achieve the look that I want. (I have a box full!)  :o

Each one gets better and easier to build.

If there is anything I can help you with or something you are struggling with feel free to email or call me.

Good Job!  Whats next? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
Rick Jorgenson

ex-mousekateer

Quote from: Rick_Jorgenson on May-13-18 09:05
FYI  (I know you didn't ask for critique but, as a fellow leather worker....)  :)

I always appreciate constructive feedback, especially from someone more experienced and skilled than myself.

QuoteThe "Grip" -  Shooting Coaches & Trainers will have issue with the interference with acquiring a "Combat Grip".   The Speed Strip Pocket my be to high for some people. The loading strip "extensions" do stick up.  The "Pro's" pick at my pocket holsters for the same reason.  "There should be nothing in the way of getting a firm, full combat grip". They also complained when my original design had the trigger exposed  :o  You can't please everyone.  ;)

It's a valid concern for a marketed item.  For my use (*), I don't see it being an issue.  Attached is another photo showing there's enough room to push the loading strip in all the way, and the flap's width could be modified to keep it in place that way.

If you wanted a little more separation between the compartments, an easy solution would be sewing another long piece of leather to the bottom of the inner piece.  I actually considered doing that, just to keep the pokey corners in front of the cylinder from digging into the soft leather over time, with how I angled the barrel down.

(*) This was more a proof of concept project, to see if it can be done as envisioned.  I don't expect to carry often (just got my permit), and when I do, it'll mostly be with the driving holster.  The practicality of carrying spare rounds with a "cylinder pin removal" revolver is questionable at best, and 20 spare rounds is serious overkill.  As such, there's no good reason against carrying just one loading strip with the tab at the bottom, well clear of the grip.  I did carry it around in my shorts pocket for a few hours last night, to show friends, and hardly noticed it was there despite packing 25 rounds of Magnum.

QuoteVelco Strap -  On a Pocket Holster may be an issue (for some).  There is Zero chance of drawing indiscreetly or, casually draw to "make ready to shoot" quickly.

Yeah, replacing the velcro with snaps would probably be better, but they're a PITA to sew on.  :)  Also, with the strap being attached at both ends with velcro, I figure it could be pocket carried without the strap (easy removal) if desired.  Not sure how I feel about that...  Mostly, I wanted to build it with as much flexibility as possible, because I knew it was going to be tricky to get everything lined up properly on the first try.

QuoteSuede Split Leather  -  Suede will hold dust and that dust will wear on finish. More directed at Blued Guns that Stainless finishes.  Keep it clean by wiping out or running a vacuum on it once in a while to remove dust/dirt.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the advice.  It's the same stuff I used on my driving holster.  An occasional blast from the air compressor will probably be a good habit to get in.

QuoteI cannot tell you how many holsters I have tossed under the bench trying to improve a pattern and achieve the look that I want. (I have a box full!)  :o

I was smart on this one and traced the pattern before sewing stuff up in non-flat configurations...  My first holster, I didn't think of that until deciding to tweak the design.  ::)

QuoteIf there is anything I can help you with or something you are struggling with feel free to email or call me.

Good Job!  Whats next? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks, and feel free to run with the design if there's anything about it that interests you.  That's it for my back burner ideas, so nothing else planned at this time.

tjl014

Hi All, New to the forum. Just picked up a Ranger II and looking for a way to carry it. Saw the holsters that Rick designed and think it would work for me. Are these in production or a custom order? I didn't see them on Desert Gun Leather. Thanks

Rick_Jorgenson

Quote from: tjl014 on June-23-18 10:06
Hi All, New to the forum. Just picked up a Ranger II and looking for a way to carry it. Saw the holsters that Rick designed and think it would work for me. Are these in production or a custom order? I didn't see them on Desert Gun Leather. Thanks

Hi tj,

The Oil Tan "Sleeves" are not one the website yet but are available to order.  They are $29.00 each and for Forum Members it inc.s a 5 round Snap Pouch

You will need to call me during the day to order (AZ Time) That way I can make you exactly what you want!

I'll be glad to help you when your ready

Rick J.
623 271-3309
Rick Jorgenson