anyone companion or super companion owners do ballistic gel or chronograph test?

Started by SirLSD, March-28-18 02:03

Previous topic - Next topic

SirLSD

has any one with a companion or super companion do any ballistics gel or chronograph tests?
i have the super companion and have done some non calibrated gel tests and have had pitiful results.
the standard 4gr scoop with either 3F black powder of crushed 3F black powder was so weak that i moved on to non approved powders. a search on google will come up with one person claiming 1150 - 1200fps with 2gr of the non approved powder but i cant believe it.
i did some comparisons with a 2.4" beretta 21A in 22LR and even CCi standard velocity ammo at approx 6-700fps was penetrating a little further than the supposed 1200fps load. velocitor at about 950fps went through double the amount of gel and into a wooden block.

anyone got any chronograph results with companion or supercompanion using recomend loads or other?

lefty dude

Four F is the recommended powder, if one uses "The Holy Black". This has been the standard of choice since Dick Casuall of Freedom Arms designed the piece, back when.

The Faux black powder, are not a good choice. Perhaps Triple-Seven 3F might come close to 4F, but I doubt it.

My Super Companion is a fun piece to shoot. As far as getting serious with the little piece, not so much. When I get serious with BP Revolvers, I load up my 1861/36 cal. Navy revolver.
BTW; When you shoot 4F in a 36 cal. Black powder Revolver instead of 3F. It is an awesome experience, of smoke & fire. Not for the faint of heart.

Warthog

No Chrono but I love shooting BP in my Super Companion.  4F is recommended and what I try to use but sometimes I have to use a substitute or 3F.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

OLD and GRUMPY

Sir-- Please continue to post results.

As they say Booze and gun powder don't mix. I doubt gun powder and LSD would work out any better. If I miss read your name PLEASE set me straight.  (I did survive the the 70s ;D).

As for Companion she is what she is. If you want power and  reliability get a cartridge.

------------

I did the phone book test.Went through  350 -400 pages. Damage went deeper. ( in my garage on the floor in a trash can. Forgot ear plugs. What did you say?)

General feeling is that Super Companion is stronger than a 22LR but weaker than a Win mag cartridge.

------------------

Next loading is 6gr  TRUE  4F black  packed in. The bullet still set deep enough.  It is in the safe. Range day to come.

---------------
Powder

4F black best
3f Will do
3F 777 is 15% hotter than 3F black-- should be close to 4F black ?  777 is fluffier than black and will pack more in :o?
Pyrodex  will work for a fun day at the range

Death before Decaf !!!!!

OLD and GRUMPY

Need help. Just spent 45 min looking for a old post. Old man stuff.

It was a cutaway pic of a Companion cylinder. Explaining why it and the bullet were made that way.

Explains why the bullet does not compress the powder.  It is contrary to standard BP loading. (ball pressed down on powder) Explained how the  Concaved base of the NAA bullet works.  Takes what would be a problem in other BP loads ( air between powder and ball) and gives Companion more punch.  Less is more?
Death before Decaf !!!!!

lefty dude

OLD and GRUMPY

Shot the "little black pain in the ass" with 6gr 4f packed in.  Like it. The marks on a reactive target are twice as big as a 40gr .22 lr cartridge moving 1250fps.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

lefty dude

Marvelous !!! I must try your load technique. Did you remove the nipples before charging, as was suggested on the forum some where ?
I know it is a packed & compressed load.

OLD and GRUMPY

Thought about loading from the back but was worried about 2 things. 1  friction or a spark replacing the nipple. 2 The nipple not seating all the way and not knowing it.   

Load was 5/6gr. Keep a sharp blade. You may need to trim the bullet tip if you are just a little over.

This is all fun but if you want true power get a cartridge.
Death before Decaf !!!!!

lefty dude

I do not dip the powder, I use my small brass adjustable measure. I get a more accurate drop/fill  per chamber to chamber. I can compress the powder by tapping the measure as I fill it.