Ranger I vs Ranger II sights

Started by PaducahMichael, April-18-18 20:04

Previous topic - Next topic

PaducahMichael

I was looking at photos of both Ranger models today. I noticed something interesting.

The Ranger I (the original) has a lower rear sight. It also has a half-moon front sight that's taller than the front bead on the R2.

The R2 has a higher rear sight and a lower front sight. That's naturally gonna make you raise the muzzle to achieve the normal sight picture. Could it be as simple as putting a taller front sight on the R2? Here's something else to ponder - why did they change the front sight on the R2? Might have made all the difference in accuracy.

I'm not an engineer. I'm just looking and wondering.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Uncle_Lee

I have looked them over and that sounds right to me.
A taller blade front sight.
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

redhawk4

I'd imagine the change to the bead site had its origins in cost savings somewhere, personally I like the blade style sights, for some reason they seem easier to see. I like the huge on on my Bond Arms as my eyes continue to get worse at focusing close up :(
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

jim c 351

The Ranger 11 appears to have a shotgun bead front site.
If it does, the  barrel is probably tapped for a 8/40 or 6/48 thread.
If this is true then a variety of front beads sights are available from "BROWNELLS" gun parts, including a "Bradley type front sight.
This would probably solve the problem of shooting too high.
Can someone confirm if the barrel is tapped for one of these threads?????????????????????????
Jim C

grayelky

On the ones with the blade sight, I have to ignore it and aim down the top of the barrel/frame. With my Wasp (bead sight) I simply aim the bead.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

PaducahMichael

If the front sight needs to be changed to achieve accuracy, it should be done as warranty work by NAA.

I suspect that will eventually become a recall issue.

Warthog

Maybe a SxS picture of the two from those who have both?  That would be nice, at least for me. ;)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

PaducahMichael

Not mine - but here's a photo

Warthog

OK, thanks.  It helps me see things properly since I missed out on the first Ranger.  The bead isn't quite as good IMO.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

redhawk4

I think a blade sight on a small gun helps you keep it a little more square to the target because you see the side of the sight when it's not at 90 degrees to you eyes.
Old Enough to Know Better - Still Too Young to Care

I "Acted the Fool" so often in School they made me get an Equity Card

CavScout

Quote from: Warty62 on April-21-18 14:04
Maybe a SxS picture of the two from those who have both?  That would be nice, at least for me. ;)

Here are a couple of pics with the same perspective.
"It is a lesson of history that it is ethically, morally, and philosophically impossible to have too many personal weapons, whether they be edged, impact or projectile."
- David W. Loeffler