Noob with .17 questions

Started by timonbass, August-01-12 18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

timonbass

Hey everyone - two weeks ago, I finally found a price on a Mini I couldn't pass up. I've wanted one for years, and know I'd be kidding myself to think of it as the only Mini I'll own.  After registering the .22lr on the NAA website, I start poking around and found the PDF of the J. B. Wood review of three different .17 models offered 6-7 years ago. Is there any chance I might be able to find one of the little convertibles somewhere after all this time? Here in Ga. (I'm in Cherokee County), we're limited to rimfire, shotguns or black powder for small game and predators other than coyotes. I've built up a pretty nice .17 HMR rifle on a Savage platform, and I'd really like to have a .17 Mini in my pocket when I'm in the woods with it. The convertible appeals to me because I'd get .17HM2 with it. I don't have anything chambered in it now. I hope it's clear that I'm not a collector; I'm a shooter, so pristine condition is not a big issue for me. Thanks in advance for any information. I'm happy to be a member here, and at long last, a Mini owner.

laa

If you're a shooter not a collector, don't bother.   Inherent design defect related to bulging casing inherent in the .17 and .17 hmr rounds causes cylinder binding in all frames.  Don't let anyone fool you, there are no magically exempt frames.  Some guns manifest the problem immediately and some after a few dozen rounds.  Some bind all the time and some only occassionally.  But my experience is that all seem to get worse with more use.  This is the reason NAA discontinued these models.  It is a significant enough issue that if you send a .17 in for warranty work of any type, NAA will not return the gun if there is any evidence binding.  The good news is they will comp you a new gun of comparabe or better value. A few years back, I picked up a .17hmr Black Widow for $150.  The fixed sight popped off and it had horrible keyholing probs.  I sent it in for warranty work knowing I might not get it back.  Sure enough, they kept it due to evidence of past binding (brass stains on the frame at the back of the cylinder).  In exchange, they sent me a sparkling new BW with magnum and LR cylinders.  And, since it was a warranty trade out, they were able to ship it to me rather than to an ffl.

cedarview kid

Some of the .17's had problems, some didn't.

I have a couple I'm looking to sell. A .17HMR and a couple .17 Mach 2's. They're pretty rare now, tho, and are quickly becoming collector's items.

timonbass

Naa_collector - sent you a pm earlier this week. Did you receive?

grayelky

Timonbass

First, WELCOME to the forum. I tried to send you a PM, but you do not have that feature enabled.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

theysayimnotme

The Ruger 2012 catalog still lists the .17 revolver.

Has anyone heard of them having any problems? I wonder if the transfer bar might keep the case from expanding backwards?

myth835

I have almost 500 rounds through my .17

I only have had issues with Hornady cases bulging and spliting  

Winchester and Remmington shoot fine.