Pug factory grips.

Started by Catshooter, May-02-18 13:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Catshooter

So what's the best way to remove these grips on my soon-to-arrive Pug?  I don't see a screw, so I am suspecting hot water to soften 'em?

Thanks.

Cat

smokeless joe

I used some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to apply it then slowly worked it off. You may get it back on once after removal but after that you'll probably be buying a new one.

ikoiko

I used ballistol and slow careful movements. Haven't tried a reinstall.
No cats were harmed in the process. Violin still lacks strings.

grayelky

I have read that air pressure helps, if you have a compressor and blow gun/nozzle.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Warthog

OK, I used penetrating oil, a heat gun, a hair dryer would work too, and some air from my compressor and slowly worked mine off.  I still ripped the orange one but the black ones came off pretty well.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Dinadan

I ripped mine too, and I was being careful. So I do not have any advice about removing or replacing.

top dog

Cat,
Why would you want to remove the grips from a new gun??

If you do,then the suggestion to use Ballistol sounds pretty good or Maybe FrogLube as that won't hurt the rubber composition.

Top Dog

Catshooter

Good ideas, all.  I wonder how the factory installs them?

I may or may not remove mine soon, but will for sure sooner or later.  There's a lot of sharp edges on this little dude that I wouldn't mind removing.  And a trigger job wouldn't hurt either.  Grips have to come off for that.

Thanks.

Cat

adp3

I have 2 Pugs.  I replaced the grips on both with NAA laminate grips and don't regret it.  I managed to remove one intact but tore the other.  And so it goes.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

Pugmeister

I have had mine off and back on a couple times with no problems. (Remove cylinder so you can get a good grip on the gun.) Pour
some rubbing alcohol down into the the grip/frame where the gap for the hammer is. Get a good grip on the little beast's frame where the cylinder sits and work the grip back and forth, you will feel it start to move. Don't rush it. Add more alcohol if needed.
To re-install, pour some alcohol into the grip and work it back on. Drain out any  remaining alcohol,
This method worked great for me, hope it works for you. I find that the OE grip works great and keeps the size of the gun to a minimum. Just my opinion though.
PUGMEISTER

billmeek

I just removed mine today and use nothing but my hands and a little work with the fingernails. I lightly pulled the sides and top of the grip slightly back with my fingernail and began working the grip off by twisting and pulling.  It took awhile, but taking it slow and working only a small movement at a time I was able to remove it without damaging the stock grip.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

rustyzues

I biew compressed air into the barrel and the grips blew off. Sic

smokeless joe

Quote from: rustyzues on May-05-18 18:05
I biew compressed air into the barrel and the grips blew off. Sic
???