New member. Can't decide between 22 mag and 22 lr.

Started by oughtsix, May-06-18 21:05

Previous topic - Next topic

oughtsix

I have owned a Guardian .32 since they came out in the 90's.  I bought one to replace my .25 acp CZ.  The guardian was my main carry piece until a couple years ago when I bought an LCP.  I just find I spend a lot less time pulling my britches up when carrying the LCP.  Quality wise I love the Guardian and always will.  It will never be sold.

Sometimes in the summer I find that I don't carry when wearing shorts.  With as good as my Guardian has been to me there was only one real contender... a NAA mini revolver... but which one????

After going back and forth between the smaller .22 LR and the harder hitting 22 mag. I just could not make a decision!

I am looking forwards to taking them out tomorrow.  The compact package of the .22 LR with 1 1/8" barrel won me over.  The harder hitting of the .22 mag with the 1 5/8" barrel also won me over.  I have a feeling that I will carry the 22 mag more often.  I have been carrying it around all evening and notice it considerable less than my LCP.  I look forwards to carrying the minuscule .22 LR when nothing else will fit.

I will be doing a lot of reading on here to find out which pocket holsters people like and reccomend.

billmeek

If you can't decide, the best option is "both".  When I ordered the Pug and BugOut II, I opted for the combo versions so I can swap between 22LR and 22 Mag. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

pietro

Welcome to the NAA board ! .  :D

When carried in deep concealment protection, the .22 Mag is the Gold Standard over the lesser .22RF's.

If you want to split the difference, the Black Widow is available as a LR/WMR two-cylinder convertible (the LR cylinder of mine remains unfired).

Be careful if you follow the masses - Sometimes the M is silent

smokeless joe

Welcome sir. If it were me I would go with 22nag and a lr conversion cylinder. Carry mag and practice with lr. Easy on the wallet that way.

billmeek

Quote from: pietro on May-07-18 12:05
(the LR cylinder of mine remains unfired).

Currently, I swap up 50/50 on mine: 5 rounds from the 22 mag and then 5 from the 22LR.  Trigger time with the smaller NAA pistols is very important if you want any accuracy out of them.  But 22LR is a heck of a lot cheaper to burn through than 22 Mag.  As time goes along, I'll probably shoot a greater percentage of 22LR and keep 22 Mag in them for carry.  But I always shoot the (more expensive) Speer Gold Dots in the pistol as the first 5 at the range. I think it's a good idea to have my first shots of practice to be exactly the same as what I carry and it doesn't hurt to cycle out your carry rounds. 
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

miker

I have the smaller 22lr... haven't shot a 22Mag version but it seems clear to me that the smaller frame is harder to shoot well, especially in a tense situation.

So I'd say, get a 22Mag convertible 1-1/8".  Just as pocketable/hideable, shoots 22lr if you want, or 22Mag for the extra power.  Most shootable, most versatile.

miker

Dinadan

Quote from: oughtsix on May-06-18 21:05
I am looking forwards to taking them out tomorrow.  The compact package of the .22 LR with 1 1/8" barrel won me over.  The harder hitting of the .22 mag with the 1 5/8" barrel also won me over.  I have a feeling that I will carry the 22 mag more often.  I have been carrying it around all evening and notice it considerable less than my LCP.  I look forwards to carrying the minuscule .22 LR when nothing else will fit.

I will be doing a lot of reading on here to find out which pocket holsters people like and reccomend.
Welcome to the forum, Oughtsix! If I understand you correctly you have already bought the LR and the Magnum Mini. Great choice! I carry my 1 5/8" barrel quite a bit in my trouser pocket. The LR is a good choice for shorts or boot carry, in my opinion. Now we need a photo of what you have. Did you get a pocket holster yet?

oughtsix

Do you guys recommend the holster handles?  I haven't gotten out to shoot them but the .22lr handle is really really small.  I am tempted to order the holster handle for the .22 lr but think I will wait until I actually shoot it.  Do the holster handles add a lot of bulk the the little .22lr?

Thank you for the welcomes!

Yes, I bought both!  I will be happy to post a pic when I am allowed to do so.

I purchased a Blackhawk #2 holster for $11.  It is not doing its job of keeping the 22mag 1 5/8" upright in my pocket.  So a holster is on the top of my list!  I am open to recommendations!

I am thinking about getting the holster handle for the .22lr.  I assume it won't fit in a pocket holster made for the pistol without the holster handle?  Is there a pocket holster made for the .22l1 1 1/8" with the holster handle on it?  Using the belt clip in my pocket isn't appropriate for carrying at work.

Texduk3

Welcome to the forum
good choice going w 2 cylinders   8)
I took my 1 5/8 mini with me to the range yesterday,
to switch off from shooting 9mm and .38's
brought a box of cci LR's standards,
but left the mag cylinder in the gun
(as it is my edc)
Hate when that happens.
just shot the 5  Gold Dot magnums  :(

"God and Guns"
"Lets Go Brandon"

billmeek

I packed up small the other day as I decided to ride a scooter over to the range.  (Save money and I can buy more guns/accessories!)  In my small box that would fit under the seat I put my 38, a box of shells for it, 2 baggies full of loose 22LR/22Mags, earplugs, shooting glasses, and a small microfiber cloth to cleanup with after shooting.  I had the Pug in my watch pocket.  When I got to the range I found I had neglected to bring the 22LR cylinder.  So I ended up shooting less than I intended and using more 22 mags than I should have.
Bill

Boisesteve

Hey -06, welcome aboard.
I can only tell you what I've done and has worked very well for me. I own both. Got my 1 5/8" .22L/R mini in the '80's when they came out with the safety notch cylinder.  Got oversize wood grips for it and then ground their size down so they were a good compromise for me between the tiny original grips and the original oversize size, so they hid better but were still grip-able better.
Sometime around I think 1990 I got a 1 5/8" .22mag mini and put Black Widow grips on it right away. I always pocket carry, in a specific holster for each. Which one I carry depends on how well what I'm wearing that day will hide it. I prefer the mag for its more authoritative punch, but either will do, just so it's there in the same place whenever I'm dressed. Pants on, gun on. Done.
Let us know what you decide to do.   Be well, Steve in Boise

adp3

Welcome to the forum.  The next time you are in a crowd of people, look around and take note of how large some of them are.  You can then ask yourself if one of them was an attacking felon which you'd prefer a .22LR or a .22WMR.   I went with a convertible Pug.  I also have a standard Pug, but the convertible is small, has great sights, and allows for inexpensive practice with .22LR ammo.  If I expect a high threat level I have a 1911 .45 but the Pugs, sometimes I carry both, are far more convenient for daily carry.  Even the most expensive NAA is cheap life insurance.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

SteveZ-FL

I've had both for close to 20 years.  The .22LR (folding grip) is my "walk the dog" carry with 2 rounds of snakeshot and 3 stingers.  The .22WMR (oversized grip) is my everyday carry, most concealable and readily available.

Getting both provides a lot of options, especially when equipped with replacement grips.

...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

Canoeal

"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

billmeek

Interesting add-on atop of your pistols SteveZ.  Are they refinements of this?

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=3619
Bill

Dinadan

Quote from: oughtsix on May-07-18 14:05
I purchased a Blackhawk #2 holster for $11.  It is not doing its job of keeping the 22mag 1 5/8" upright in my pocket.  So a holster is on the top of my list!  I am open to recommendations!

I am thinking about getting the holster handle for the .22lr.  I assume it won't fit in a pocket holster made for the pistol without the holster handle?  Is there a pocket holster made for the .22l1 1 1/8" with the holster handle on it?  Using the belt clip in my pocket isn't appropriate for carrying at work.
I have never used the holster handle so I have no comment about it. On my LR I use boot grips. They make the LR about as easy to hold as the Magnum Mini with the standard birdshead grips.

The kind of holster that you need is somewhat dependent on the pockets in the trousers that you wear. I make my own holsters, mostly, and basically I need mine to be shaped like the one in the photo below.

billmeek

It is not doing its job of keeping the 22mag 1 5/8" upright in my pocket.  So a holster is on the top of my list!  I am open to recommendations!

Not cheap (speaking of both price and quality), Rick makes some fine holsters for the NAA pistols and is a member of this forum:

https://www.desertgunleather.com

The craftsmanship is a thing of beauty and he stands behind his products. You can see the 2 received from him in this thread:

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=14966.0

I liked the quality so much I ordered another for my Sig P365 sight-unseen.
Bill

linux_author

i like the Sidewinder w/.22 mag for carry and .22LR for practice (but i practice with both types)

and yes, it's nice not to have droopy drawers when carrying..

especially at my age...

:o

willie
on the sagging Gulf of Mexico

SteveZ-FL

Quote from: billmeek on May-07-18 18:05
Interesting add-on atop of your pistols SteveZ.  Are they refinements of this?

http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=3619

Bill, not refinements. Just changed the attachment grips.  Have gotten used to these as sights. 
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

top dog

As you can see,the general thought is to get one with both cylinders.

All of my minis have the extra 22lr cylinders.

Welcome to the forum.

By the way,when will you be getting your second and third mini??  They tend to "multiply".

Top Dog

zburkett

Do you guys recommend the holster handles?  I haven't gotten out to shoot them but the .22lr handle is really really small.  I am tempted to order the holster handle for the .22 lr but think I will wait until I actually shoot it.  Do the holster handles add a lot of bulk the the little .22lr?

The holster handle adds no bulk over a mini in a pocket holster.  I have both and usually carry the lr with the holster grip.  For really unobtrusive don't over look the short with CCI HP.  The ballistics aren't that far from lr.

grayelky

ought6 - Welcome! My first mini was the LR, back in 1977, and I still have it. It is retired form carry duty. I currently carry a 1 5/8" Wasp, and a Bug Out II, interchangeably. I cannot tell ay significant difference in the LR and the magnum when in my pocket, and the magnum will always have a higher velocity. I am not a fan of the folding grip, but they are somewhat popular. With a little practice, they can be brought to firing position quite readily.
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Doc Holliday

I have the original mini, an EB Sidewinder, a Pug with night sights, a Black Widow, and an EB Ranger II. I don't care much for the folding grip, as opposed to many here that swear by it. I just think they look weird...just me, and though I know many love them..I think the CVang grips also look a bit strange..just my personal and unsolicited opinion! My preference is to put wooden boot grips on all my NAAs, with the only exception being the Pug. My belief is that the Pug is pretty much perfect as is...and no matter what else I carry..the Pug is always in my right vest pocket...ALWAYS!
Doc Holliday
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

jlh48

I carry a .22 Mag/LR Conversion original 1 5/8 barrel mini. To me, I don't know why anyone would get just a Long Rifle or Short version for carry. Why do I say this? Because the 1 5/8 Conversion mini feels just as small and good for pocket carry, BUT it is actually easy to shoot and gives you perfect flexibility for Magnums, Long Rifle, Long or Short ammunition depending on which of the 2 cylinders you put in the gun. Also, the 1 5/8  barrel gives you a little more length for more accurate firing. It honestly does not take up more room for pocket carry at all that I can see!!!! The slightly larger frame makes it more easy to handle and gives flexibility to shoot 4 different .22 rounds. Just my opinion...but if you think about it...its the perfect mini :-)

oughtsix

Big SMILE!!!  Oh yeah!... just stopped by the gravel pit and popped off 5 rounds from the 1 5/8 .22 mag.  Excellent little gun!  I have been dieing to get out to shoot it... but being a dad comes first.  I finally couldn't wait any more and ate my lunch on the way.

The grips on the .22 mag are just right for me.  Not much to hold onto but perfectly controllable.  Made a big rock dance at 5 yards.  That is all the accuracy I need for a close quarters carry gun.  The 22 mag had a nice pop to it, kind of like the LCP.  Plenty controllable!  Pretty good report... I just had kleenx shoved in my ears.

I can't wait to take the 22 lr out and put some serious rounds through it and more through the 22 mag!

I am just using the Ruger holster that came with my LCP for now.   It is doing a decent job of keeping the 22 mag some what secure and pretty much upright in my pocket.  As much as I would love some custom leather that isn't in the budget.  I ordered the Desantes leather holster for the 1 1/8 - 1 5/8 22 mag for $20.  I have a Desantes for my Karh CM9 and it has served me well.

The Ranger looks like it would be a really nice third mini 22 and forth NAA.  It looks like I would have to order it.  Where is the best place to order it from?

Thank you for all the welcomes and advice!

oughtsix

Quote from: top dog on May-08-18 05:05
By the way,when will you be getting your second and third mini??  They tend to "multiply".

Top Dog

I couldn't decide so I started with two right out of the gate!  The 22 lr 1 1/8 and 22 mag 1 5/8.  I am really like what I see in the Ranger II.... very tempting!  Just have to find one... and hopefully for a decent price.

autofull

well, it is simple to me. a pug with both cylinders.

RogueTS1

I have both cylinders for every Mini I own. I practice mostly with .22 lr and finish off with some .22 mag. I only carry SD .22 mags.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

adp3

Congratulations on your new mini.  I see that some folks recommend the folding holster grip.  They serve a purpose but if you plan on pocket carry I recommend that you buy a real holster.  NAA has the HPTD-M pocket holster, and Rick Jorgenson makes a wide variety of quality holsters, and he post here often.  The disadvantages of the folding grip holster for pocket carry are that the hammer is exposed and can get nudged out of the cylinder safety notch and rest on a live round, and the gun also is much more prone to pick up pocket lint than when carried in a holster.  Hope that you enjoy yours for many years to come.  Be sure to use good ear protection.  The little suckers are the loudest guns per ounce that I'm aware of.   ;D

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

SteveZ-FL

Quote from: adp3 on May-08-18 22:05
Congratulations on your new mini.  I see that some folks recommend the folding holster grip.  They serve a purpose but if you plan on pocket carry I recommend that you buy a real holster.  NAA has the HPTD-M pocket holster, and Rick Jorgenson makes a wide variety of quality holsters, and he post here often.  The disadvantages of the folding grip holster for pocket carry are that the hammer is exposed and can get nudged out of the cylinder safety notch and rest on a live round, and the gun also is much more prone to pick up pocket lint than when carried in a holster.  Hope that you enjoy yours for many years to come.  Be sure to use good ear protection.  The little suckers are the loudest guns per ounce that I'm aware of.   ;D

Best Regards,
ADP3

Agree.  My .22LR 1 1/8 has the folding holster grip.  When in my pocket it rests within a small leather pouch which protects the revolver from pocket lint/junk and still allows reliable and safe retrieval from the pocket, as well as holding a mini plastic baggie with extra rounds. Without this pouch the revolver tends to erratically shift in the pocket, making retrieval an iffy experience.

I have a folding holster grip for my .22WMR 11/8, but prefer the oversized rubber grip with an Uncle Mike's #2 pocket holster.  Everything fits fine with this arrangement, including another mini plastic baggie with extra rounds.
...SteveZ

oughtsix

I finally got a chance to take my little 1 1/8" LR revolver out today.  After 30 or so rounds I could not find any way to grip is effectively.  I tried my hand in all sorts of different positions and frequently used my middle finger to push on the front of the grip to seat the pistol in my palm.  Nothing I did would give me a satisfactory grip.  The 1 5/8 22 mag is a target pistol in comparison.  I have no problem getting a good enough grip on the 22 mag to place well aimed shots at many yards away.

I think I am going to give the holster grip a try.  I don't like that it adds and extra step to deploying the pistol.  I don't like that it (looks like) it adds considerable size to the pistol.  I don't want any pistol floating around in my pocket unsecured.  I will have to find some kind of holster or leather sleeve (as mentioned above) to secure it in my pocket.  I will try the holster grip but I might end up making my own grip that will allow me to control the pistol and hopefully not add too much size or bulk to it.

SteveZ-FL

Quote from: oughtsix on May-09-18 22:05
I finally got a chance to take my little 1 1/8" LR revolver out today.  After 30 or so rounds I could not find any way to grip is effectively.  I tried my hand in all sorts of different positions and frequently used my middle finger to push on the front of the grip to seat the pistol in my palm.  Nothing I did would give me a satisfactory grip.  The 1 5/8 22 mag is a target pistol in comparison.  I have no problem getting a good enough grip on the 22 mag to place well aimed shots at many yards away.

I think I am going to give the holster grip a try.  I don't like that it adds and extra step to deploying the pistol.  I don't like that it (looks like) it adds considerable size to the pistol.  I don't want any pistol floating around in my pocket unsecured.  I will have to find some kind of holster or leather sleeve (as mentioned above) to secure it in my pocket.  I will try the holster grip but I might end up making my own grip that will allow me to control the pistol and hopefully not add too much size or bulk to it.

Over the years I've tried just about every after-market grip made for the .22LR 1 1/8.  I kept going back to the holster grip because, when folded, it kept the overall size small while, when unfolded, provides a secure and reliable means to one-hand fire the weapon. 

If the weapon while in the pocket is pouched in such a manner as to always remain in close to a vertical (classic holstered) position, retrieval is smooth (for me, anyway). It then takes just a flip of the wrist to unfold the weapon, placing it in a more-or-less normal position within one's hand and so that the thumb is in position to cock it. With a little practice, retrieval and ready-to-fire becomes routine (disclaimer - always practice this maneuver with weapon unloaded!).

The belt clip on the holster grip is also a handy way to carry the weapon.  I use it often during warm weather.  Again, it takes a little practice to become comforable with retrieval, but does add to more versatile carry.
...SteveZ

RogueTS1

Or place one of the Secret Service grips on it. It only increases the size a tiny bit but it gives about the same grip as one would have on a J Frame revolver. Plenty to hang onto without the ungainly looks of the folder grips.
Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

WECSOG

I have a holster grip that came with my LR when I bought it (used). I'm glad I didn't pay any actual money for the holster grip, because to me it is a worthless accessory. It makes my LR bulkier to carry than a magnum frame with a Black Widow grip, while still being harder to shoot. I would much rather just carry a Magnum in a good pocket holster.
My LR does serve a purpose, but not with that monstrosity on it.
Black Widow convertible
Magnum 1-5/8"
Super Companion 1-5/8"
LR 1-1/8"

Kimber1911

WELCOME  oughtsix  I carry a Pug in 22mag everyday, every where. Enought said.  TTFN   R