Any cleaning tips for Guardians?

Started by bearcatter, May-07-18 11:05

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

Just cleaned mine the first time, and found it the usual for semi-autos, needing lots of cotton swabs. I use Hoppe's No.9 solvent and oil, FWIW. I had some .32 brushes (.38s will work, but a little too snug) but had to get by with a loop tip. Have jags on the way, by Midway's usual lightning slow shipping. NAA parts, UT to VA by parcel post, 3 days. Midway stuff, MO to VA by UPS (half as far), 6 days.

Just thought someone might know some odd thing that could make cleaning better or easier.

My tip: I use a General pen oiler, to get tiny drops. Too much oil just attracts gunk.

Captcha # 12  !!
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

miker

I don't think RamRodz come in .32... they have some rifle calibers that may be close.  I've been using them for .38 and they are quite nice.

I usually brush dry first to get out whatever will, then wet the bore with Hoppes and let sit 15 min, then brush again, and ramrodz from there.

miker

adp3

A Hoppe's bore snake or Otis rip cord is a quick way to clean the bore.  A GI toothbrush will take care of the breech face, underside of the slide and mag well.  A Q-tip or pipe cleaner will take care of the rails and nooks and crannies.  Occasionally remove the firing pin and swab out its channel so debris doesn't build up.  Do the same for the channel the recoil spring assembly sits in.

Best Regards,
ADP3
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt,"
-Mark Twain

linux_author

i like a pick with my stainless pistols - helps clean out under the extractor and get at the nooks and crannies

i also like Birchwood Casey's lead remover and polishing cloth (only used on stainless) - an $8 pad with small pieces cut off as needed seems to last a long time and work very well on removing fouling - especially from the front of my Sidewinder and mini cylinder

Ed's Red is a cheap solvent, with ingredients available at Homie Dumpo's or SLowe's, but i can only use outside as the wife unit cannot abide the smell of any solvent (so inside, it's CLP)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

JRobyn

I like the little General needle oilers too.  I fill mine with Marvel Mystery oil.  Light, doesn't ever dry out and gum up, a tiny bit will creep into just where it's needed, smells good!