Range Day Pics

Started by smokeless joe, May-31-18 16:05

Previous topic - Next topic

billmeek

There's a lot of people using the TRS-25 on higher caliber weapons (i.e. AR or AK rifles).  Checking the reviews, they've been mostly positive. 

If you were speaking of the Vortex Venom, it has the same Vortex VIP unconditional warranty as their scopes:

QuoteOur VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
    Fully transferable
    No warranty card to fill out
    No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

smokeless joe

Thanks for the info Bill

billmeek

You're welcome.  I'm always willing to share what (little) knowledge I have.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

smokeless joe

Quote from: billmeek on July-01-18 15:07
You're welcome.  I'm always willing to share what (little) knowledge I have.
Yeah I'll take all the help I can get. I'm a long way from being all knowing.

linux_author

hey folks, had some fun this morning... after a nice breakfast, my neighbor and i went across the street to the range... he wanted to sight in his Bersa .380 (which only needed a slight turn of a screw for windage), and i wanted to play with a new Tomcat, my P238, a PT-22, my Charter snubby and some speedloaders i modified for my loading  box...

after testing various .22LR brands/types with the PT-22, i've finally settled on CCI Standard Velocity, 40-grain LRN (1070fps); a recent bulk buy ($0.04/round) seems to have paid off with no malfunctions after a couple hundred rounds:

i next put 100 rounds through the Charter .22mag snubby... the speedloaders allowed me to shoot the revolver so many times in such a short time that it got really hot - but a finger press ejected spent brass every time and with no problem (btw, Charter offers a nice little leather holster for what i think is a very reasonable price):

the Tomcat had a couple misfeeds with Winchester FMJ flat-nose, but the PMC FMJ cycled flawlessly... like my first Tomcat, i'm going to need to drift the rear sight a tad to the right... i'll post pics when i get the chunky INOX monkey sighted in...

and finally, for the 4th, i threw a couple magazines through my P238... also pictured is a birthday gift from my wife, a nice Reeve Sebbie to go with the P238:

all in all, a lot of fun this morning at the range - hope everyone has a great 4th of July

willie
on the hot and humid Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Not gonna try and get your wallet willie ;)

linux_author

Quote from: smokeless joe on July-03-18 19:07
Not gonna try and get your wallet willie ;)

funny you mention that... despite growing up in an orphanage in one of the worst areas of Philly, the only problem i ever ran across as a kid was from some kids demanding 'toll' money for walking down their street (used to have to hide my bus fare in my shoes)

fortunately i could run pretty fast 50+ years ago...

:)

willie
on the 'gettin' older every day' Gulf of Mexico

Canoeal

Enjoy your fourth, However you choose to do it! Ice cream and fireworks!
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Ruger

Quote from: linux_author on July-04-18 05:07. . . . . the only problem i ever ran across as a kid was from some kids demanding 'toll' money for walking down their street . . . . .

The faces keep changing, but there always seems to be be someone or something demanding "toll" money for whatever we are about to do . . .
Never Take anything Too Seriously . .Just Enough Will Do.

linux_author

hey folks - another fun morning at a local range (this one was not as close at the one across the street, so i had to drive for 10 minutes south)... took a couple pistols, and also just picked up a new piece - a high-polish Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special...

the first pistol was my Tomcat, out on a second run after a sight adjustment - worked great with no malfunctions using some old Winchester .32ACP FMJ FN...

my real reason for the outing was to test out a recent Kel-Tec P32 Generation 1 to Generation 2 conversion... i found a Gen 1 at a reasonable price (in bad shape - looked like it was stored in a tackle box)... however, Kel-Tec no longer supplies parts for the Gen 1 version, which has a different grip, barrel, slide, firing pin, firing pin spring and extractor assembly - and, as i found out when doing the conversion, possibly a *slightly* different hammer...

since i already had a spare barrel, slide, and grip on hand (along with a hammer, as it turned out), the conversion was simple: swap out the requisite parts - everything went fine until i tried manually cycling the pocket pickle - nope, nada, wouldn't work... thought i had the hammer resting on the sear incorrectly... nope, nada, wouldn't work... then a lightbulb went on, and i reasoned that the Gen 1 hammer may not work with the Gen 2 sear, which is installed in every spare grip...

put in a new Gen 2 hammer, assembled, and then... voila! pistol cycled properly...

so the function test was fine on the bench, but for me the proof of the pudding is on the firing line... i took along a variety of magazines from my other P32s and ran a half box of German-made GECO .32ACP FMJ through the converted P32... no malfunctions, and I think i like the results:

(and i'm not that good of a shot - this was only at 12 ft, but the distance i train at)

all in all, a good morning...

willie
on the hot and humid Gulf of Mexico

linux_author

hey folks - after breakfast my neighbor and i hit the range across the street... he was testing out a new S&W 9mm (i forget the model), wanted to finish up a box of Wally World .380 FMJ FN in his Bersa, and run a couple magazines of CCI SV through his Ruger Mk IV...

i wanted to test out an RTK trigger upgrade to my Kel-Tec P32, whom i've named 'Frankie,' as it's a Gen 1 to Gen 2 conversion... it was great! ran a full box of GECO .32ACP FMJ with no malfunctions or problems with resets (i had to mill out a bit forward on the receiver to accommodate the new trigger - don't have to do this on the Gen 2 receivers)...

but the most fun i had was putting 50 rounds of FMJ FN through a new revolver...

i started off with single-action to get a feel for the handling... initial cylinder shot a bit low, so aiming was at top of bullseye:

and i finished off with double-action a yard closer, trying to keep on target:

I think I'm pretty happy with the results. It is possible that the revolver may shoot higher with more powerful loads?  but I like the ammo I'm using - quite economical reloads from a couple local young guys at Hyperion Munitions (always support your local munitions makers!).

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

billmeek

Tighten up your grip.  You're seeing muzzle rise.
Bill

linux_author

hey folks - had fun at the range today; finished up function-testing my NAA Guardian .32ACP (reaching 200 rounds following an extractor assembly replacement)

Also got a chance to shoot my father-in-law's S&W Pre Model 10 nickel-plated snubby. Interesting family history behind this one. It was given to my 88-year-old father-in-law by his uncle-in-law in the late 1950s. His wife's uncle (who would be my grand-uncle-in-law?) was the sheriff of St. Johns County, Fla. for nearly 20 years. He was accused of collusion with moonshine runners 48 years ago, and was subsequently removed from office by the governor. He was later acquitted of the charges in a trial, and soon after at hearings in Tallahassee in front of the Senate, was exonerated.

This revolver was kinda beat up, with dings on the muzzle and a broken spur. (My father-in-law didn't really take care of this one - it was wrapped in an old kitchen towel for almost 50 years.) I took it to a local smith to have the spur ground off and cleaned up. It's now a double-action shooter and is pretty much POA at my normal 12 ft shooting distance:

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Ruger

Cool history chug-a-lug chug-a-lug . . .  ;D

smokeless joe

Took my short and Bug II out for a little shooting today. Surprisingly accurate on the short. Bug also did well. Had a good day.

smokeless joe

This is one thing you don't want to see when you go to the range

Warthog

who got hurt Joe?
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

smokeless joe

Quote from: Warty62 on August-08-18 19:08
who got hurt Joe?
I'm not sure who he was but when we got there he was up a the rangers office. Guess he got to close to his scope and with the recoil it cut him. A case of scope eye. Luckily  he will live to shoot again.

Honky Tonk Man

Ouch!  Hope that was there before you got there. 

I'm liking this forum.  We get to read about your decision to order these guns, then the order.  We read about the long anticipation while you wait for delivery, getting them, and finally at the range for the first shooting.  It's almost as good as getting them yourself...  Ok, not quite that good, but it will have to do until I get one of my own on order.
Silence is Golden - Duct Tape is Silver

smokeless joe

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-09-18 03:08
Ouch!  Hope that was there before you got there. 

I'm liking this forum.  We get to read about your decision to order these guns, then the order.  We read about the long anticipation while you wait for delivery, getting them, and finally at the range for the first shooting.  It's almost as good as getting them yourself...  Ok, not quite that good, but it will have to do until I get one of my own on order.
Yeah I like it here too. Think I'll stick around awhile longer.

This happens just before we got there.

Honky Tonk Man

I grew up playing cowboys and Indians.  That's only half true.  I'm 68 now and the "growing up" part may be a stretch.  My brother and I were shooting out in the woods one day and the inner cowboy came out in me.  I drew this Indian and practiced speed shooting.  My brother was yelling at me "The Indians are coming!  The Indians are coming!  Hurry!  Faster!  Keep shooting!  I fired and loaded this little Bearcat as fast as I could and eventually saved the wagon train.  Sometimes it's cops and robbers, or defending the Alamo.  Always fun, and it improves our shooting skills.  Hope I never grow up. 

smokeless joe

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-09-18 03:08
I grew up playing cowboys and Indians.  That's only half true.  I'm 68 now and the "growing up" part may be a stretch.  My brother and I were shooting out in the woods one day and the inner cowboy came out in me.  I drew this Indian and practiced speed shooting.  My brother was yelling at me "The Indians are coming!  The Indians are coming!  Hurry!  Faster!  Keep shooting!  I fired and loaded this little Bearcat as fast as I could and eventually saved the wagon train.  Sometimes it's cops and robbers, or defending the Alamo.  Always fun, and it improves our shooting skills.  Hope I never grow up.
I think you messed up that Indians day HTM  ;D

Ruger

Honky . . . It is obvious that you are socially and culturally insensitive to the plight of the Native Americans and with that post will never be able to run for President.  Good for you.  BTW, I miss those days, too.

Honky Tonk Man

I'm way beyond deplorable.  I should have warned you earlier; but I was afraid I wouldn't have made it past the probationary period.  To be fair, when I was a kid, I'd play an Indian too.  I was barred from that when the suction cups "accidentally" fell off my arrows just before I let go.  After a couple of those incidents; I became type cast as a cowboy.   

smokeless joe

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-09-18 16:08
I'm way beyond deplorable.  I should have warned you earlier; but I was afraid I wouldn't have made it past the probationary period.  To be fair, when I was a kid, I'd play an Indian too.  I was barred from that when the suction cups "accidentally" fell off my arrows just before I let go.  After a couple of those incidents; I became type cast as a cowboy.
Sounds familiar  ;D

Ruger

Yeah, in the old days, the kids in the neighborhood all played Cowboys and Indians: some days you were a Cowboy, other days you were an Indian.  It didn't matter much.  It was all in fun, and we had all kinds of kids in the neighborhood; white kids, black kids, and a few that were in between.  Even had some girls that were mixed in with the gang.  It didn't seem to matter much, as all would fall down when shot.  And we all had some type of gun holster with cap guns, except the girls of course.  But one kid always brought his bow out and claimed to be the chief.  Not sure what was up with that.  But we all had fun.  We just didn't know how damaging we were being to the future of the American culture by being so insensitive.  Sorry . . . . I guess.

linux_author

nice shootin' with that Ruger, HTM!

i'm off to the range this morning, so may report back with some pics later on...

willie
on the 'more deplorable every day' Gulf of Mexico

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on August-12-18 05:08

i'm off to the range this morning, so may report back with some pics later on...

willie
Have fun willie. Pics would be great.

Honky Tonk Man

Quote from: linux_author on August-12-18 05:08

willie

Thanks Willie.  Glad to hear the Gulf Coast is getting more deplorable every day.  I'll feel right at home when I get down there.  Have fun at the range. 

linux_author

OK folks... just got back from a very enjoyable time this morning.. not only did i get out of doing cleanup of the breakfast dishes, but i was able to finally break in my other Taurus PT-22...

i have two, named 'Salt' and 'Peppa' (stainless and blued steel)... Peppa took a little over 400 rounds of 1200fps+ LR to break in to the point where it reliably shoots standard velocity lead round nose... CCI Stingers are a no-go on these little pocket mice in my opinion, as a single magazine blew the slide off Peppa's rails during break-in... the good news today is that now Salt is broken in... i'm a happy camper:

i also had some fun with my Charter Undercover... the only problem with using a loading block and speed loaders is that it seems a box of ammo can go too quickly!

hope everyone else out there has a great day today... we had torrential rains yesterday, but the sun has been out and my arthritis is telling me that the front has passed...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

Honky Tonk Man

Great shooting there Willie! 

smokeless joe

Quote from: linux_author on August-12-18 08:08
OK folks... just got back from a very enjoyable time this morning.. not only did i get out of doing cleanup of the breakfast dishes, but i was able to finally break in my other Taurus PT-22...

i have two, named 'Salt' and 'Peppa' (stainless and blued steel)... Peppa took a little over 400 rounds of 1200fps+ LR to break in to the point where it reliably shoots standard velocity lead round nose... CCI Stingers are a no-go on these little pocket mice in my opinion, as a single magazine blew the slide off Peppa's rails during break-in... the good news today is that now Salt is broken in... i'm a happy camper:

i also had some fun with my Charter Undercover... the only problem with using a loading block and speed loaders is that it seems a box of ammo can go too quickly!

hope everyone else out there has a great day today... we had torrential rains yesterday, but the sun has been out and my arthritis is telling me that the front has passed...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
Glad you had a good day willie. I saw one of those Taurus PT-22's at the gun show a week ago. Almost bought it but figured if I'm gonna go that size on a gun I'll go with a .380 LCP. No hurry tho I've got enough to shoot with for now.

linux_author

Quote from: Honky Tonk Man on August-12-18 11:08
Great shooting there Willie!

thanks - the PT-22 is double-action only and i shot double-action w/the .38SPL...

honestly though, my general practice is done at 12 ft, sometimes 15ft - which i consider practical distance for mouse guns and snubbies (although the Kel-Tec P32 will be quite accurate out to 8-10 yards)

and Mr. SJ: yes, the PT-22 is kinda chunky - but fun and cheap to shoot (the next time the wife unit goes to the range with me it will be her weapon of choice - she liked the Smith 317 in double-action, so she should have fun with the Taurus running standard velocity rounds)...

and i also used the PT-22 to finish an odd assortment of leftover rimfire in the range bag: Colibri (22 long), and .22 shorts... (fun to load the tip-up barrel, click in place, shoot, then flip the button and have the barrel throw out the case)

and a .22 short Remington i found on the floor even cycled the slide and ejected properly - must have been one of those 'magnum' .22 shorts!

:)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

linux_author

hey folks - went out this morning w/my neighbor for our regular Tuesday morning range time. He was paper-holing targets with .32ACP through an old Davis P32 he bought years ago for $60 new, along with .22LR ammo in his new Ruger MkIV tactical.

An older guy (not older than my shooting buddy - he's 82) came up to him while he was using his Ruger and said, "Can't miss with that one, huh?" which made my buddy pretty happy.

I went old school with single-action using a stainless steel .22WMR Charter Pathfinder. Here's why I really like this snubby:

willie
on the 'range day is a great day' Gulf of Mexico

Warthog

Good for all of you who can go to the range.  I cannot yet but I live in hope.... :'(
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein