NAA production totals and deciphering serials

Started by bearcatter, June-21-18 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

bearcatter

Wrote to NAA, asking about production totals for the mini and Guardian categories, and about deciphering their serial numbers. Jessica's answer kinda beat around the bush on production, and left me even more confused as to serial numbers. Here's her reply:

Hi,

So honestly, there's not a lot of method to the madness... The 32's originally started with AA, AB, AC, AD and now AF. The AA's  & AB's I believe only had 4-5 digits everything else I believe had 7digits or so.  As you can imagine, it would be very difficult to gage where the gun would be in the production.

Just for fun, here are the different prefix's we've used for each model:

LR: B, C, G, V, L

MAG: D, W, E plus the many others for the different models (ie: Pug, Black Widow, Mini Master, Wasp etc.)

380: BC, BD, BE

As you can see, there's no method... lol

Hope this kind of clears things up a bit.

Have a Great Day!!

Jessica Jarvis
Sales Manager

Judging by the Guardian 32 info, the AA and ABs having three numerical digits would have limited them to 999 each. AC, AD, and AF were followed by five digits. That would limit each to 99,999. So, if every possibility was used up, that would place 32 production to about 302,000 before needing an AG prefix. Divided equally over 21 years that would be 14,000 a year, but that is probably not the case. Similarly, the Guardian 380 has had three prefixes, so it would be approaching 300k now. That would be 18k a year, evenly. But NAA advertising says the 32 is the bigger seller (??).

I can't see them wasting possible serials, but gun companies are largely known for having nonsense serializing systems. My figures are for a common sense system. We may never know how many minis or Guardians have been made.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

PaducahMichael

Quote from: bearcatter on June-21-18 21:06
We may never know how many minis or Guardians have been made.

I'm o.k. with that. Really.
"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

Dinadan

I cannot help with serial numbers, but here are some production numbers for a ten year period. Numbers based on ATF files.

Canoeal

I wonder what the breakdown is between 22lr and 22 mags, counting convertables as both...
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Warthog

I know I like shooting 32 acp better than a 380 acp.  I guess my Spanish Gun obsession of old and my WWII gun collecting got me into the 32 acp.  European Officers tended to carry 32's over 9mms for quite a while until the 9mm got into high gear production-wise.  Yeah, the 1911 45 acp has a bit of fondness with me too but I tend to carry my 32 ACP Guardian or the new Beretta more than any other gun I own...or a Mini, usually the Black Widow 22 Mag.... 8)
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

bearcatter

Quote from: Dinadan on June-22-18 17:06
I cannot help with serial numbers, but here are some production numbers for a ten year period. Numbers based on ATF files.

NAA has had production problems over time, which distort the meaning of the numbers. Conflicting info makes it hard too. Like supposedly the 32s have been totally in-house since the change from Kahr frames, about 2006? Best I have read the 380 was (is?) still partly contracted out, with frames and slides having been made by a company in New England called Latva, or Ruger's Pine Tree Castings. Which came first, or if either is still supplying NAA, who knows? One article I've found from last year says Pine Tree is doing .380 frames, and NAA the slides. Another from about the same time says NAA is now doing all of the .380.

I emailed NAA and got an evasive answer. It seems to be some deep dark secret as to who made what, and how many. Yet we know that gun manufacturers have to keep impeccable records.
"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

* Guardian .32 (2) * Zastava M70 .32 (3) * Bearcat stainless (2) * SP101 .22 * Ruger SR22 (2) * S&W M&P 15-22 Sport

Canoeal

Isn't there a dedicated NAA historian? Should be.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Bigbird48

Canoeal

Uncle_Lee

God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

Doc Holliday

uncle_lee,
Put a nice ring or necklace in one of those famous shoe boxes of yours! She'll grant permission!
Doc Holliday
All would be well and all would be well and all manner of things would be well.

Uncle_Lee

Quote from: Doc Holliday on June-24-18 06:06
uncle_lee,
Put a nice ring or necklace in one of those famous shoe boxes of yours! She'll grant permission!
Doc Holliday

I got me a one of a kind wifie. She don't care about that kind of stuff.

I bought her a really nice solid silver bracelet for our 25th anniversary and it is still in the box.
Not even a wedding ring.....
She gives of herself freely. She doesn't sell herself. 
God, Country, & Flag

LET'S GO BRANDON ( he is gone to the beach )

grayelky

If you think it is hard to get production numbers from NAA, try getting some from Ruger. Mrs Jessica was a wealth of information, relatively speaking!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

bearcatter

I did email Sandy to see if he could offer ballpark lifetime totals on the two Guardians and the minis. If he can, our odd curiosity will be satisfied. Really, why do we care, but it is still interesting to know?

IF he can and does, I'll  make a separate thread.

grayelky

We've been talking about how rare the Ranger is. Compared to a .25 NAA, it is extremely plentiful!
Guns are a lot like parachutes:

"If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"

Dinadan

Quote from: grayelky on June-26-18 14:06
We've been talking about how rare the Ranger is. Compared to a .25 NAA, it is extremely plentiful!
Good point. I wonder why NAA even bothers to make any at all if they are not producing  ... a couple of hundred? Of course, I kind of wonder why NAA stays in the pistol business instead of just making revolvers. There is a lot more competition on the pistol side of the business compared to the mini revolver side.

bearcatter

So you've said, several times.

NAA has, for some reason, been making Guardians for 21 years. What would be the benefit of NAA dropping them? Tomorrow NAA announces that they are no longer making them. Then what?

I see - What many people, including LEOs, consider the best CCW gun for their needs is no longer available. Some have doubts as to service and parts for the long term, so they sell them and buy second choice. The people that made Guardians are hopefully reassigned, not laid off. Same at the outside suppliers. Otherwise, Life at NAA goes on as before.

What, no dozen new mini models? No doubled production? I don't see it.