Would a NAA revolver in .32 be possible, worth considering?

Started by oughtsix, May-09-18 23:05

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveZ-FL

For those interested, here's the SAAMI pressure data (2 pages of it, anyway).  There are two measurement methods, and most handgun ammo was tested using both, the exceptions being .32 NAA and .32 H&R Mag which were each tested in only one method. 
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

ds10speed

To keep the cylinder diameter small I would like to see a new cartridge.................

".257 Magnum"

mrmurl

Quote from: ds10speed on May-13-18 09:05
To keep the cylinder diameter small I would like to see a new cartridge.................

".257 Magnum"

Big Thumbs Up. 
A gun is like a parachute; if you need it and don't have it, you probably won't need it again.

bill_deshivs

".257 magnum."
The cylinder would still have to be larger in diameter AND length.

theysayimnotme

I don't know about +p but you are not likely to find a smaller or lighter .32 acp than the Davis 2 shot derringer. It does have two short comings. 1. It is very hard to cock with one hand & 2. At least on mine the extractor over rides fired cases, making reloading slow & difficult.

Canoeal

Quote from: ikoiko on May-12-18 20:05
Saami

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/205.pdf

Yeah I have that. I hoping someone knew how to translate the 21,000 CUP into some usable psi data...I just don't get CUP measurements.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

SteveZ-FL

Quote from: Canoeal on May-13-18 16:05
Saami

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/205.pdf

Yeah I have that. I hoping someone knew how to translate the 21,000 CUP into some usable psi data...I just don't get CUP measurements.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

The data is in both CUP and PSI in each of the four documents (Rimfire, Shotshell, Centerfire Pistol & Revolver, and Centerfire Rifle.  There are separate pages for CUP and PSI.  In the upper right of the data page it will say "Velocity and Pressure Data - Crusher" for CUP, and "Velocity and Pressure Data - Transducer" for PSI.  The PSI rating is in hundreds (e.g., 205 is 20,500).
...SteveZ

"...you never need a gun until you need it badly" - from WEB Griffin's The Honor of Spies, and Victory and Honor.

bill_deshivs

Quote from: theysayimnotme on May-13-18 14:05
I don't know about +p but you are not likely to find a smaller or lighter .32 acp than the Davis 2 shot derringer. It does have two short comings. 1. It is very hard to cock with one hand & 2. At least on mine the extractor over rides fired cases, making reloading slow & difficult.

The Davis .32 acp derringer weighs more than the 8 shot Keltec P32!

Canoeal

Quote from: SteveZ-FL on May-13-18 17:05
Quote from: Canoeal on May-13-18 16:05
Saami

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

The data is in both CUP and PSI in each of the four documents (Rimfire, Shotshell, Centerfire Pistol & Revolver, and Centerfire Rifle.  There are separate pages for CUP and PSI.  In the upper right of the data page it will say "Velocity and Pressure Data - Crusher" for CUP, and "Velocity and Pressure Data - Transducer" for PSI.  The PSI rating is in hundreds (e.g., 205 is 20,500).

Yes but all you get in this document for >32 H&R is CUP I know it is 21,000 CUP In PSI it gives you N/E. so how does cup relate to PSI?
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing."  Edmund Burke

Canoeal

See in your chart the same chart we all have, the .32 S&W lists at 15,000 psi. The 327 FM lists a 45,000 psi. I know the H&R fits somewhere in between, but that is a large spread. It does list at 21,000 cup, but how does that convert?

SteveZ-FL

The quick math solution may be to pick a caliber that's on both the CUP and PSI pages. 

For .32ACP the CUP is "150" and the PSI is "205". 

The .32 H&R Mag's CUP is "210", whch makes this CUP just over a third greater than the .32 ACP's CUP.  If one then increases the .32 ACP's PSI by that same just-over-a-third (approx "75"), the PSI reading will be "280".  Multiply 280 by 100 and the PSI is 28,000.

Is this exact?  Comparing this against other calibers which have both CUP and PSI readings, it's pretty close.   For safety sake, one may want to add another 10% to the "75", bringing the total increase to "83" and the resulting PSI total (205+83) to 28,800. 
...SteveZ

Dinadan

Just curious how long a test barrel is used in the SAAMI tests. I found it interesting to compare the velocity and weight numbers for the .32 Smith and Wesson from the SAAMI chart (85gr and 700fps) and NAA's weight and velocity numbers for a Black Widow with CCI Maxi Mag (40gr and 988fps). Converting those number to bullet energy, the CCI Maxi Mag out of the black Widow scores 89, while the .32 Smith and Wesson scores 93. That is why I am wondering about the length of the SAAMI barrel. If the rounds are comparable power, I would a heck of a lot prefer to shoot .32 Smith and Wesson than .22 Magnums!

oughtsix

Quote from: mrmurl on May-13-18 10:05
Quote from: ds10speed on May-13-18 09:05

".257 Magnum"

This would have a lot of appeal to me if they could keep it in a small package.  I think there is a lot of leaway for firearm size and power when you design a firearm along with the cartridge it will be shooting.
Big Thumbs Up.

chup