B/W LR vs Pug Mag Velocity

Started by RICKS PLACE, July-23-18 12:07

Previous topic - Next topic

RICKS PLACE

I see a lot of you guys are doing velocity tests on ammo.  Has anyone checked the difference in the velocity from a 2" Black Widow using say CCI LR mini mags 40 grain vs a i" Pug using 40 grain Magnum ammo?  Should be a lot, but I wonder just how much. 

billmeek

I'd be willing to test, but I don't have a Black Widow... yet.  I'm waiting on the XS night site version to be available before I purchase the Black Widow.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

Warthog

I doubt it will be a lot of difference, I don't have a meter so I can't help with velocities.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein

Dinadan

Rick - for the BlackWidow ballistics you can check out NAA's Ballistics Tables page. Here is a link:  https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/

Unfortunately NAA does not have any ballistics tables for the Pug. you can compare BW numbers from NAA and the Pug numbers from Bill's recent post (http://naaminis.com/smf/index.php?topic=15168.msg156091#msg156091). Note that NAA uses the mean velocity while Bill uses the average - not (usually) the same number.

I am not too sure how tests done with different equipment on different days can be compared. That is, tests done at the same time with the same equipment should yield good comparative data internally. But how accurate will it be compared to tests done tests done other times and equipment? The reason I am mentioning this is as a caution regarding the comparative tables below. The top table is from NAA's Black Widow page. The lower table is from Bill's post.

billmeek

I think "average" and "mean" are the same thing whereas "median" is where you sort the numbers and find the value that has an equal number of results above and below it.

Yes you will get varying values out of different equipment.  Environmental factors (wind, humidity, barometric pressure) will also change the values.  Furthermore the NAA numbers are using (I would guess) are from an optical chronograph which measures the bullet at a fixed distance (in this case 8 yards) while I used a Labradar doppler radar which measures at multiple distances.  The Labradar didn't pickup the bullet until about 6 yards out.  It then calculated the speed at the muzzle and the stats provided are for muzzle velocity. Attached is a zip file with all the raw data if you want to view it.

So definitely "yes". There's going to be difference in the numbers I provide and the ones NAA has on their website.  How much difference?  I don't know enough to say.
Bill

I won't carry a laser device... unless it has stun, kill, and disintegrate settings.

RICKS PLACE

After looking at the velocity table on the B/W, found I would stay with them.  I just received what I "think" is my 5th B/W over the past 10 years.  No, I don't lose them, I have family that also like them.  While I buy them for my use, my son and grandchildren are great talkers. My son "borrowed" one of my 2, years back to see how he liked it.  Since then, I only see it when he cleans it.  My grandson got his Texas carry license last April along with his 25th birthday, and there went my B/W with the newer Millet sights.  (Well, I had to give his something, didn't I?) I ordered and received my latest one a few days ago. Now to get to the range, shoot it, break it in, and keep it a secret.  Then, if lucky, I will once again have 2 of them and can again look at the Pug.